Report Claiming Maori Topless Dancers Asked To Cover Up For Prince William and Kate Middleton Just An ‘Infantile Prank’
By Anne Lu | April 7, 2014 12:59 PM EST
Topless female Maori dancers will not cover up for Prince George. British media reports claimed that the Maori would be defying traditions and wear tops as reverence for the baby royal and his parents, Prince William and Kate Middleton, but New Zealand officials don’t even think that they take off their tops in the first place.
Britain's Prince William, Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge and their son Prince George, are seen in this photograph taken in Kensington Palace, in mid-March 2014, and received in London on March 29, 2014. The Prince and Duchess chose to release the family photograph ahead of their forthcoming tour to New Zealand and Australia. REUTERS/Jason Bell/Pool
According to the “mind-boggling” report, Maori female dancers go topless, while the men go commando under their grass skirts. But George and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are considered so important guests that the dancers have chosen to be more conservative when they honour the royals with a performance.
“For important occasions like this the women go topless; it’s tradition. But because this is a big occasion they’ll cover up out of respect so they don’t embarrass Kate and William,” Tredegar Hall, a member of London-based Maori cultural group Ngati Ranana, told the British paper Telegraph.
“Usually the men do not wear anything under the piupiu, the flax skirts, but because of the high-profile guests, they’ll wear black undies to welcome them.”
Mr Hall also told the Express newspaper that William and Kate would be offered tradition food from a hangi, “including a native bird, the kereru, which is on the verge of extinction.”
But Internal Affairs’ Royal Visit Office spokesman Allen Walley disproved the claims, saying no advice had been given to Maori Kiwi involved in the tour what they should wear. He expected, though, that the women would be wearing tops, while the men would be wearing underwear.
A Defence Force spokeswoman told the NZ Herald that the kapa haka group “never performed topless.”
“He’s [Mr Hall] talking a lot of rubbish that is not the case at all – that is totally incorrect. [Performances are] done with decency and taste,” Trevor Maxwell, a kapa haka expert, said, adding that he was baffled why Mr Hall would even add kereru on the royal menu.
Associate Maori Affairs Minister Chris Finlayson also slammed the report, saying that the papers were duped by the “infantile prank” set by Mr Hall, whose LinkedIn profile claims that he worked for New Zealand Immigration in London.
“It is an infantile prank at a time when Maori culture and New Zealand will be in the spotlight overseas,” Mr Finlayson added to the NZ Herald.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Toddler Defecates on Seat Aboard Delta Airlines
- MH17: Sight of People Pouring from the Sky Haunt Villagers
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Haiti, a Destination Only for the Brave Ones
- Hotel Bikini Berlin’s Toilet Exposes Guests as They Do Their Thing
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Apple on 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Release Will Not Happen Until 2015 with Stocks Poised to Soar