Can Coach Phil Jackson Help Lamar Odom with NBA Career?
By Rachelle Corpuz | April 7, 2014 11:16 AM EST
Phil Jackson signed up with the New York Knicks earlier in March and became the president of the basketball team. Jackson has never been worked as an executive in the National Basketball Association. Thus, Jackson's current role in the Knicks team is going to be a challenge for someone who had brought the Chicago Bulls and the Los Angeles Lakers six and five championship titles, respectively. The Miami Herald reported that Jackson is going to build a super team for the Knicks, and this explains why he had been meeting with some basketball athletes here and there.
Basketball player Lamar Odom departs the New York state Supreme Court after a child custody hearing with his ex-girlfriend, Liza Morales, in Manhattan March 5, 2013.
According to the New York Post, Jackson had met with his former Lakers player Lamar Odom during the team's game against the New Jersey Nets on April 2. However, the Web site did not further state the details on Jackson and Odom's meeting. What is certain is that Jackson is on a pursuit to find new talents to add to the Knicks basketball team. While Odom may not really be classified as new talent, his familiarity with Jackson's coaching having had worked for him in the past and could bring veteran power to the team.
Odom recently had to short stint with a basketball team in Spain, but he was forced to pull out from the contract because of his back injury. One more reason why Odom cut his contract short with the Spain's basketball team is because he is still hopeful that he will get a second shot in the NBA, the Hollywood Life reported.
"He does have back issues but by quitting the team in Spain, it allows him to train in the U.S. and get healthy," a source revealed to Hollywood Life. The source went on and said that Odom knew he needed to make up his mind and choose where he really want to play. "One of those spots is the New York Knicks - now that Phil Jackson is with the Knicks."
Odom's recent battles with drugs made him an unattractive athlete to add in the NBA roster. In October 2013, Jackson revealed his worry and concern for the former student in an interview with The Seth Davis Show, as reported by the Los Angeles Times. Jackson said that they all thought that Odom's marriage with Khloe Kardashian would do something good for him, but maybe it didn't. He said that they couldn't get in touch with Odom in any way.
Jackson knew that playing basketball is very important for Odom. "Basketball has been his life, and without it, it's a very destructive course," he said.
Would Jackson pave the way for Odom, who last played for the Los Angeles Clippers, to play in the NBA again?
MORE SPORTS/ENTERTAINMENT ARTICLES:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff