Can Coach Phil Jackson Help Lamar Odom with NBA Career?
By Rachelle Corpuz | April 7, 2014 11:16 AM EST
Phil Jackson signed up with the New York Knicks earlier in March and became the president of the basketball team. Jackson has never been worked as an executive in the National Basketball Association. Thus, Jackson's current role in the Knicks team is going to be a challenge for someone who had brought the Chicago Bulls and the Los Angeles Lakers six and five championship titles, respectively. The Miami Herald reported that Jackson is going to build a super team for the Knicks, and this explains why he had been meeting with some basketball athletes here and there.
Basketball player Lamar Odom departs the New York state Supreme Court after a child custody hearing with his ex-girlfriend, Liza Morales, in Manhattan March 5, 2013.
According to the New York Post, Jackson had met with his former Lakers player Lamar Odom during the team's game against the New Jersey Nets on April 2. However, the Web site did not further state the details on Jackson and Odom's meeting. What is certain is that Jackson is on a pursuit to find new talents to add to the Knicks basketball team. While Odom may not really be classified as new talent, his familiarity with Jackson's coaching having had worked for him in the past and could bring veteran power to the team.
Odom recently had to short stint with a basketball team in Spain, but he was forced to pull out from the contract because of his back injury. One more reason why Odom cut his contract short with the Spain's basketball team is because he is still hopeful that he will get a second shot in the NBA, the Hollywood Life reported.
"He does have back issues but by quitting the team in Spain, it allows him to train in the U.S. and get healthy," a source revealed to Hollywood Life. The source went on and said that Odom knew he needed to make up his mind and choose where he really want to play. "One of those spots is the New York Knicks - now that Phil Jackson is with the Knicks."
Odom's recent battles with drugs made him an unattractive athlete to add in the NBA roster. In October 2013, Jackson revealed his worry and concern for the former student in an interview with The Seth Davis Show, as reported by the Los Angeles Times. Jackson said that they all thought that Odom's marriage with Khloe Kardashian would do something good for him, but maybe it didn't. He said that they couldn't get in touch with Odom in any way.
Jackson knew that playing basketball is very important for Odom. "Basketball has been his life, and without it, it's a very destructive course," he said.
Would Jackson pave the way for Odom, who last played for the Los Angeles Clippers, to play in the NBA again?
MORE SPORTS/ENTERTAINMENT ARTICLES:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage