Tessanne Chin: 'The Voice 5' Winner Performs A Capella for Canadian-Jamaican Billionaires in Toronto
By Jenalyn Villamarin | April 7, 2014 11:09 AM EST
Tessanne Chin, "The Voice 5" winner, attended the University of the West Indies fundraising feast as an honoree at the Ritz Carlton in Toronto last Sunday night, March 30. The 28-year-old Jamaican singer stimulated a bidding war between the Jamaican-born billionaires and Toronto philanthropists Raymond Chang and Michael Lee-Chin for an impromptu a capella performance.
According to thestar.com report, the billionaires paid CDN$40,000 to hear Tessanne Chin belt out three songs at the event but it is not for their personal pleasure. The event's proceeds will head straight to the scholarship fund at the University of the West Indies.
The bidding began at $1,000 with auctioneer Gordon Cressy lingering until the $4,000 mark. Michael Lee-Chin jokingly told Gordon Cressy that the bid was "too low" in response to the question why he was not joining the bid.
Lee-Chin stunned the audience when he upped the bid to $10,000 if "The Voice" Season 5 champ sings one song. Raymond Chang matched Lee-Chin's $10,000 bid if Tessanne Chin sings a second song but Michael Lee-Chin offered $20,000 if the Jamaican singer performs a third a capella song making it a grand total of $40,000.
"That's a whopping $13,333 per song," the Urbanislandz.com report noted. Singer Tessanne Chin took the Ritz ballroom stage to perform the $40,000-worth a capella versions of the songs "Bridge Over Troubled Water," Bob Marley's "Redemption Song" and her hit rock-reggae single titled "Hideaway."
"I hope you don't mind if I sing a cappella," the singer told the crowd who clapped and cheered on with her powerhouse performance at the event including Jamaicans Chang and Lee-Chin. Click HERE to watch Tessanne Chin's $40K impromptu performance in Toronto. The Jamaica Observer report revealed that the two businessmen friends, who were rivals at one point, became the heads of the two largest mutual fund companies in Canada.
Raymond Chang, former chancellor of Ryerson, was one of CI Financial's original founders while Michael Lee-Chin, who used to be the AIC head, is the Wilfrid Laurier University chancellor. Both businessmen have donated millions to charities like the Royal Ontario Museum and the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health.
"They have also been named in different years as outstanding philanthropist of the year by the Association of Fundraising Professionals," the Jamaica Observer reports. After Tessanne Chin's performance at the Ritz Carlton, the singer is scheduled to return in Toronto on May 17, 2014 for a concert to take place at the Sony Centre.
More Articles to Read:
Tessanne Chin: 'The Voice' Season 5 Winner Signs New Deal With ICM Partners - [READ]
Tessanne Chin: The Voice Season 5 Winner Back In Jamaica For A Two-Week Break Before Work - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde’s Freedom: Hollywood People Oppose TPB Founder’s Imprisonment
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers For Sept. 22-26, 2014: Consequences Of The Crichton-Clark Blast
- 'Dancing With The Stars' (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Week 2 Spoilers: Things To Expect; Find Out Which Choreographer Is Quitting
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Samsung SM-A500 (aka Wallet-Friendly Galaxy Alpha) Clears TENAA Revealing Images And Specs
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2
- Scotland Voted Against Independence, Early Results Indicate