Tessanne Chin: 'The Voice 5' Winner Performs A Capella for Canadian-Jamaican Billionaires in Toronto
By Jenalyn Villamarin | April 7, 2014 11:09 AM EST
Tessanne Chin, "The Voice 5" winner, attended the University of the West Indies fundraising feast as an honoree at the Ritz Carlton in Toronto last Sunday night, March 30. The 28-year-old Jamaican singer stimulated a bidding war between the Jamaican-born billionaires and Toronto philanthropists Raymond Chang and Michael Lee-Chin for an impromptu a capella performance.
According to thestar.com report, the billionaires paid CDN$40,000 to hear Tessanne Chin belt out three songs at the event but it is not for their personal pleasure. The event's proceeds will head straight to the scholarship fund at the University of the West Indies.
The bidding began at $1,000 with auctioneer Gordon Cressy lingering until the $4,000 mark. Michael Lee-Chin jokingly told Gordon Cressy that the bid was "too low" in response to the question why he was not joining the bid.
Lee-Chin stunned the audience when he upped the bid to $10,000 if "The Voice" Season 5 champ sings one song. Raymond Chang matched Lee-Chin's $10,000 bid if Tessanne Chin sings a second song but Michael Lee-Chin offered $20,000 if the Jamaican singer performs a third a capella song making it a grand total of $40,000.
"That's a whopping $13,333 per song," the Urbanislandz.com report noted. Singer Tessanne Chin took the Ritz ballroom stage to perform the $40,000-worth a capella versions of the songs "Bridge Over Troubled Water," Bob Marley's "Redemption Song" and her hit rock-reggae single titled "Hideaway."
"I hope you don't mind if I sing a cappella," the singer told the crowd who clapped and cheered on with her powerhouse performance at the event including Jamaicans Chang and Lee-Chin. Click HERE to watch Tessanne Chin's $40K impromptu performance in Toronto. The Jamaica Observer report revealed that the two businessmen friends, who were rivals at one point, became the heads of the two largest mutual fund companies in Canada.
Raymond Chang, former chancellor of Ryerson, was one of CI Financial's original founders while Michael Lee-Chin, who used to be the AIC head, is the Wilfrid Laurier University chancellor. Both businessmen have donated millions to charities like the Royal Ontario Museum and the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health.
"They have also been named in different years as outstanding philanthropist of the year by the Association of Fundraising Professionals," the Jamaica Observer reports. After Tessanne Chin's performance at the Ritz Carlton, the singer is scheduled to return in Toronto on May 17, 2014 for a concert to take place at the Sony Centre.
More Articles to Read:
Tessanne Chin: 'The Voice' Season 5 Winner Signs New Deal With ICM Partners - [READ]
Tessanne Chin: The Voice Season 5 Winner Back In Jamaica For A Two-Week Break Before Work - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Finale Recap: And The Winner Is…[Spoilers]
- Kris Jenner Shocks Boyfriend Corey Gamble In The Bedroom With Her Tricks And Fabulous Sex Life
- 'Glee' Season 6 Spoilers, Air Date: Naya Rivera Teases Wedding In Final Chapter, Lea Michele Tweets 700th Song Number
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys