Canada Man & Wife Convicted of Beating 10-Year-Old Son to Death
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | April 7, 2014 10:55 AM EST
A Canadian man, along with his wife, is guilty of murdering his 10-year-old son.
The jury held Garfield Boothe as well as his wife Nichelle Boothe guilty of the murder of Shakeil Boothe [Image]. The 10-year-old was killed by his father and stepmother. Even though the couple pleaded not guilty initially, defence lawyers confessed that the actions by the couple actually met the conditions for manslaughter, CBC News reported.
Shakeil's lifeless body was found in his father's house on May 27, 2011. It was two years after he moved from Jamaica to come to his father in Ontario to live with him. According to the statements from his father and stepmother, he died one day before he was found by paramedics. Prosecutors allege Mr Boothe and his wife of abusing their son which depriving him of food. They also allegedly kept him chained in his bed during the previous months before he died.
Garfield Boothe as well as his wife is accused of beating his so in a savage manner, which eventually led his to his death. The beating caused internal haemorrhage which was overwhelming to his feeble body. The couple was convicted of 2nd degree murder on Saturday April 5. While Nichelle Boothe cried after the verdict, Garfield Boothe seemed unperturbed. The couple did not look at one another, National Post reported.
The lawyer of Nichelle Boothe, however, asked the jury to free her, saying that she was forced to commit the crime. According to Boothe, her husband was physically violent to both her and his son. She said that she had tried stopping her husband. However, she did not try after a point as she was apprehensive of what Garfield Boothe might have done to her and her son, Shakeil's half-brother.
It took around 14 hours for the jury to come to a decision. Dozens of witnesses which included police officers, paramedics as well as the pathologist that examined the corpse of Shakeil participated in the trail which started on Feb. 3.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Woman Accuses Labor Leader of 1986 Rape When She was 16; Shorten Admits Being Probed But Says He Was Cleared
- Sydney Fashion Designer Jodhi Meares’ Driver License Suspended for Drunk-Driving
- Intelligence Agencies Hunt for James Foley Beheader Using Voice Recognition Technology, Journalist Was Warned by GlobalPost Editor Not to Go to Libya
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao KOs Philippine Taxman as Supreme Court Stops Agency from Requiring P4.2 Billion Surety Bond from Champ
- British PM David Cameron Cuts Short Summer Holiday to Lead Hunt for Foley Beheader; Abbott Calls Decapitation ‘Pure Evil’
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch