‘How I Met Your Mother’ Getting An Alternate Ending On DVD
By Anne Lu | April 7, 2014 6:41 AM EST
“How I Met Your Mother” is getting an alternate ending, but it’s not going to air on television. Co-creator Carter Bays revealed that they had two different endings planned, and the other unaired one will be featured in the DVD of the show.
The U.S. sitcom concluded on March 31 to overwhelming negative reactions. Fans were upset that the writers “betrayed” them by destroying nine seasons of character development.
Fans were so upset over the finale that they even started a petition to have it changed.
The petition is addressed to the CBS network, and simply reads: “Rewrite and reshoot the HIMYM ending.”
One petitioner wrote: “The ending is non-sense and a disgusting joke.”
“I just can’t express everything, but you, Mr Thomas and Mr Bays, ruined this whole series in just 2.5 minutes,” another passionately added, referring to the much-reviled last minutes of the show in which viewers were told the The Mother (Cristin Milioti) died of unnamed illness, Barney (Neil Patrick Harris) and Robin (Colbie Smulders) divorced after a whole season dedicated to their wedding, and Ted (Josh Radnor) admitted that he is still in love with Robin after all those years.
Disgruntled fans can now rejoice. Bays and co-creator Craig Thomas have revealed that they have come up with an alternate ending, one which they believe would satisfy the viewers.
— Craig Thomas (@HimymCraig) April 4, 2014
“Few days ago today we were in the HIMYM edit room, trying to decide between two very different endings. We only shot one script, but through edit room magic we had two possible outcomes for the series,” Bays told Ace Showbiz.
“We chose the ending we chose and we stand by it. But we loved the other version, too.”
The alternate ending will not be shot anymore. But thanks to the power of modern editing technology, fans will still be able to see it come to life and shown in the special features section of the show’s season nine DVD boxset when it is released.
The question, “When is the DVD boxset going to be released?’ is yet to be answered, though.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers For Sept. 22-26, 2014: Consequences Of The Crichton-Clark Blast
- 'Downton Abbey' Spoilers: 'Surprising New Stories' In Season 5, George Clooney's Cameo Appearance
- Ryan Gosling And Eva Mendes Gushes Over Newborn Daughter
- ‘Top Gun 2’ Update: ‘The Jungle Book’ Writer Onboard, Tom Cruise Likely To Reprise His Role
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 New Teaser Video, Spoilers: ‘Don’t Hesitate, They Won’t’
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2
- 'ISIL Has To Be Defeated, Plain And Simple, End Of Story,' Sen. John Kerry
- New Samsung Galaxy S5 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Released, Verizon Guide and Installation