‘How I Met Your Mother’ Getting An Alternate Ending On DVD
By Anne Lu | April 7, 2014 6:41 AM EST
“How I Met Your Mother” is getting an alternate ending, but it’s not going to air on television. Co-creator Carter Bays revealed that they had two different endings planned, and the other unaired one will be featured in the DVD of the show.
The U.S. sitcom concluded on March 31 to overwhelming negative reactions. Fans were upset that the writers “betrayed” them by destroying nine seasons of character development.
Fans were so upset over the finale that they even started a petition to have it changed.
The petition is addressed to the CBS network, and simply reads: “Rewrite and reshoot the HIMYM ending.”
One petitioner wrote: “The ending is non-sense and a disgusting joke.”
“I just can’t express everything, but you, Mr Thomas and Mr Bays, ruined this whole series in just 2.5 minutes,” another passionately added, referring to the much-reviled last minutes of the show in which viewers were told the The Mother (Cristin Milioti) died of unnamed illness, Barney (Neil Patrick Harris) and Robin (Colbie Smulders) divorced after a whole season dedicated to their wedding, and Ted (Josh Radnor) admitted that he is still in love with Robin after all those years.
Disgruntled fans can now rejoice. Bays and co-creator Craig Thomas have revealed that they have come up with an alternate ending, one which they believe would satisfy the viewers.
— Craig Thomas (@HimymCraig) April 4, 2014
“Few days ago today we were in the HIMYM edit room, trying to decide between two very different endings. We only shot one script, but through edit room magic we had two possible outcomes for the series,” Bays told Ace Showbiz.
“We chose the ending we chose and we stand by it. But we loved the other version, too.”
The alternate ending will not be shot anymore. But thanks to the power of modern editing technology, fans will still be able to see it come to life and shown in the special features section of the show’s season nine DVD boxset when it is released.
The question, “When is the DVD boxset going to be released?’ is yet to be answered, though.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate