‘How I Met Your Mother’ Getting An Alternate Ending On DVD
By Anne Lu | April 7, 2014 6:41 AM EST
“How I Met Your Mother” is getting an alternate ending, but it’s not going to air on television. Co-creator Carter Bays revealed that they had two different endings planned, and the other unaired one will be featured in the DVD of the show.
The U.S. sitcom concluded on March 31 to overwhelming negative reactions. Fans were upset that the writers “betrayed” them by destroying nine seasons of character development.
Fans were so upset over the finale that they even started a petition to have it changed.
The petition is addressed to the CBS network, and simply reads: “Rewrite and reshoot the HIMYM ending.”
One petitioner wrote: “The ending is non-sense and a disgusting joke.”
“I just can’t express everything, but you, Mr Thomas and Mr Bays, ruined this whole series in just 2.5 minutes,” another passionately added, referring to the much-reviled last minutes of the show in which viewers were told the The Mother (Cristin Milioti) died of unnamed illness, Barney (Neil Patrick Harris) and Robin (Colbie Smulders) divorced after a whole season dedicated to their wedding, and Ted (Josh Radnor) admitted that he is still in love with Robin after all those years.
Disgruntled fans can now rejoice. Bays and co-creator Craig Thomas have revealed that they have come up with an alternate ending, one which they believe would satisfy the viewers.
— Craig Thomas (@HimymCraig) April 4, 2014
“Few days ago today we were in the HIMYM edit room, trying to decide between two very different endings. We only shot one script, but through edit room magic we had two possible outcomes for the series,” Bays told Ace Showbiz.
“We chose the ending we chose and we stand by it. But we loved the other version, too.”
The alternate ending will not be shot anymore. But thanks to the power of modern editing technology, fans will still be able to see it come to life and shown in the special features section of the show’s season nine DVD boxset when it is released.
The question, “When is the DVD boxset going to be released?’ is yet to be answered, though.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Bachelorette 2014, Bachelor 2015 Spoilers: Andi Dorfman Hints at Next Bachelor; Find Out What He Thinks About the Job
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Orange is the New Black Update: Reality T.V. Star to Appear in Season 3, Actor Says Show can Run for Long Time, even with New Protagonist
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People