‘How I Met Your Mother’ Getting An Alternate Ending On DVD
By Anne Lu | April 7, 2014 6:41 AM EST
“How I Met Your Mother” is getting an alternate ending, but it’s not going to air on television. Co-creator Carter Bays revealed that they had two different endings planned, and the other unaired one will be featured in the DVD of the show.
The U.S. sitcom concluded on March 31 to overwhelming negative reactions. Fans were upset that the writers “betrayed” them by destroying nine seasons of character development.
Fans were so upset over the finale that they even started a petition to have it changed.
The petition is addressed to the CBS network, and simply reads: “Rewrite and reshoot the HIMYM ending.”
One petitioner wrote: “The ending is non-sense and a disgusting joke.”
“I just can’t express everything, but you, Mr Thomas and Mr Bays, ruined this whole series in just 2.5 minutes,” another passionately added, referring to the much-reviled last minutes of the show in which viewers were told the The Mother (Cristin Milioti) died of unnamed illness, Barney (Neil Patrick Harris) and Robin (Colbie Smulders) divorced after a whole season dedicated to their wedding, and Ted (Josh Radnor) admitted that he is still in love with Robin after all those years.
Disgruntled fans can now rejoice. Bays and co-creator Craig Thomas have revealed that they have come up with an alternate ending, one which they believe would satisfy the viewers.
— Craig Thomas (@HimymCraig) April 4, 2014
“Few days ago today we were in the HIMYM edit room, trying to decide between two very different endings. We only shot one script, but through edit room magic we had two possible outcomes for the series,” Bays told Ace Showbiz.
“We chose the ending we chose and we stand by it. But we loved the other version, too.”
The alternate ending will not be shot anymore. But thanks to the power of modern editing technology, fans will still be able to see it come to life and shown in the special features section of the show’s season nine DVD boxset when it is released.
The question, “When is the DVD boxset going to be released?’ is yet to be answered, though.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Update: Louise And Blake To Make Their First Appearance As A Couple In Australia
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2