ICC World T20 2014 Final: India vs Sri Lanka Highlights
By Deepak Vikraman | April 7, 2014 3:50 AM EST
Kumar Sangakkara and Mahela Jayawardene finally got the World Cup title they were waiting for, with Sri Lanka cruising to a comfortable victory over India in the final of the ICC World T20 2014 on Sunday.
Read about Yuvraj Singh's innings HERE
Get the results and report HERE
The bowlers set the game up for Sri Lanka with an outstanding effort in the field, restricting India's powerful batting lineup to just 130 for four.
Only Virat Kohli, as always, could do anything with the bat, while Yuvraj Singh struggled in the middle to get any kind of flow going.
After a final period of play in the first innings, where Sri Lanka bowled brilliantly to a plan, leaving the India batsmen clueless, the final score of 130 was never going to be enough to stop Sri Lanka from finally winning a World Cup after so many close shaves.
Tillakaratne Dilshan and Mahela Jayawardene played their hand with the bat, but it was Kumar Sangakkara, with some help from Thisara Perera, courtesy a few sixes, that made the chase look simple, with some typically elegant touches and boundaries.
In the end, despite a gallant bowling effort from the India bowlers, they just did not have enough of a score to defend, as Sangakkara guided Sri Lanka to 132 for four for a comprehensive six-wicket win.
The celebrations were expectedly emotionally charged, as Jayawardene and Sangakkara were given the perfect send-off in their final T20 international game.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More