Lok Sabha Elections 2014: Advani Files Nomination from Gandhinagar, Hails Modi as Good Administrator
By Rama Mohan | April 6, 2014 11:23 PM EST
Bharatiya Janata Party's (BJP) top leader Lal Krishna Advani on 6 April filed his nomination from Gandhinagar Lok Sabha constituency, accompanied by Gujarat Chief Minister and prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi. While submitting Advani's nomination, Modi handed over the papers to the Gandhinagar returning officer.
The party tried to put a show of unity at the event as Advani, 86, was not happy initially when the party announced Modi as the prime ministerial candidate. And also, Advani was reportedly forced to contest from Gandhinagar, though his desire was to contest from the Bhopal constituency.
Before filing the nomination, Advani and Modi addressed a public meeting. Modi urged the party cadre to work for the victory of Advani. There were reports that Advani was not willing to contest from Gandhinagar as he was scared that Modi may work against him in the constituency.
At the meeting, Advani praised Modi as a remarkable leader. "I will not call Narendra bhai my protege, but I have never seen a more brilliant and efficient events manager than him. And this event management capacity he had brought to governance also. That has made him more suitable for the assignment, the party has given to him," the Times Now quoted Advani.
Advani also stated that he never thought about shifting from the Gandhinagar constituency, though there was pressure on him to contest from the Bhopal seat in Madhya Pradesh.
However, Advani said that Modi cannot be compared to Atal Bihari Vajpayee. "I would not compare, certainly not to Atal ji. Atal ji was a class by himself. The main ideologue of the party was Deen Dayal Upadhyaya and the person to implement it in governance was Atal ji," he said.
Modi termed Advani as the main pillar of the party. Modi also said that he has learnt a lot from Advani. Advani mentioned the total value of his and family members' property at ₹7 crore in the nomination papers.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Julie Bishop: ISIS Is 'Australia's Responsibility'
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones