Davis Cup: Somdev Wins, India Enter World Group Playoffs
By Shruthi SU | April 6, 2014 10:02 PM EST
Beating Korea at home for the first time in Davis Cup history, India secured a berth in the World Group play-offs after Somdev Devvarman managed victory over Yong-Kyu Lim in the reverse singles of the Group I Asia/Oceania second round match on Sunday.
Somdev Devvarman prevailed over the Korean attack to help India advance to the World Group playoffs.
Somdev's hard-fought 6-4, 5-7, 6-3, 6-1 win had his teammates applauding him on Twitter. "Unreal effort by @SomdevD to give us the win against Korea! fightttttt @rohanbopanna , #teamindiaaaaaa.." India's Sanam Singh tweeted. Lim, Korea's no.1 player, had defeated Sanam on day one of the opening singles but was outfoxed by India's no.1 in the final match.
Rohan Bopanna could not hold back as well. "Creating history in Busan. India beating Korea in Korea for the first time ever. @DavisCup #WorldGroupCalling," he tweeted.
Bopanna partnered Saketh Myneni on Saturday to give India the edge to qualify to the playoffs, beating Hyung-Taik Lee and Lim Yong-Kyu 7-6 (4), 5-7, 7-6 (2), 6-3 in the second round match.
India have now bettered their overall head-to-head record against Korea 4-6. They finished this Davis Cup tie 3-1, having already handed a handsome defeat to Taipei 5-0.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr On Manny Pacquiao: 'He Must Know He's Not Going To Win
- For Mayweather, The Prize Comes First, Not The Fans
- Serena Williams On Caroline Wozniacki’s Friendship:’I Have Had A Love For Caroline From The Day I Met Her’
- NBA Trade Discussions ‘Tremendous’; 10 Teams Including Rockets, Clippers and Hornets Active For Probable Deals—NBA Insider
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Signs Using Odom’s Surname; Source Reveals Khloe Still ‘Proud’ Of Being Called Mrs. Odom