Formula One Bahrain GP Qualifying: Rosberg Takes Pole Position as Mercedes Book Front Row
By Shruthi SU | April 6, 2014 6:45 PM EST
Lewis Hamilton lost pole position at the Bahrain GP to Mercedes teammate Nico Rosberg, in the floodlit qualifying session in the Sakhir circuit on Saturday.
Despite being the fastest in all three practice sessions, Hamilton lost pace in the second run of Q3 and said he did not feel comfortable with his car in the qualifying, like he did in practice. Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo came third.
However, there were not many surprises in Q2 as teams decided on soft tyres and Mercedes returned to the lead. Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen made a late comeback with 1m 34.925s to finish 10th, that in turn pushed world champion Sebastian Vettel to 11. Red Bull's defending champion had a tough time in qualifying after being spun off in the third practice session as he did not get a run on the soft tyres. Hulkenberg finished on 1m 35.116s but was out-qualified by teammate Perez.
Hence, Q3 was a battle between Mercedes duo Rosberg and Hamilton, Red Bull's Ricciardo, Force India's Perez, the Ferraris of Fernando Alonso and Raikkonen, the McLarens of Jenson Button and Kevin Magnussen, and the Williams cars of Bottas and Felipe Massa.
Rosberg finished 1m 33.18s while Hamilton finished 1m 33.464s to book the front row comfortably for Mercedes. Ricciardo came the closest to challenging them as the Australian came third with 1m 34.051s. However, the 24-year-old will drop 10 places, courtesy of a penalty for unsafe release during last week's Malaysian Grand Prix.
Williams stands fourth with Bottas' 1m 34.247s and Force India came fifth with Perez's 1m 34.346s. Raikkonen put Ferrari on fifth 1m 34.368s.
The grid at the end of the day reads thus:
Rosberg, Hamilton; Bottas, Perez; Raikkonen, Button; Massa, Magnussen; Alonso, Vettel; Hulkenberg, Kvyat; Ricciardo, Vergne; Gutierrez, Grosjean; Maldonado, Sutil; Kobayashi, Bianchi; Ericsson, Chilton.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage