Formula One Bahrain GP Qualifying: Rosberg Takes Pole Position as Mercedes Book Front Row
By Shruthi SU | April 6, 2014 6:45 PM EST
Lewis Hamilton lost pole position at the Bahrain GP to Mercedes teammate Nico Rosberg, in the floodlit qualifying session in the Sakhir circuit on Saturday.
Despite being the fastest in all three practice sessions, Hamilton lost pace in the second run of Q3 and said he did not feel comfortable with his car in the qualifying, like he did in practice. Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo came third.
However, there were not many surprises in Q2 as teams decided on soft tyres and Mercedes returned to the lead. Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen made a late comeback with 1m 34.925s to finish 10th, that in turn pushed world champion Sebastian Vettel to 11. Red Bull's defending champion had a tough time in qualifying after being spun off in the third practice session as he did not get a run on the soft tyres. Hulkenberg finished on 1m 35.116s but was out-qualified by teammate Perez.
Hence, Q3 was a battle between Mercedes duo Rosberg and Hamilton, Red Bull's Ricciardo, Force India's Perez, the Ferraris of Fernando Alonso and Raikkonen, the McLarens of Jenson Button and Kevin Magnussen, and the Williams cars of Bottas and Felipe Massa.
Rosberg finished 1m 33.18s while Hamilton finished 1m 33.464s to book the front row comfortably for Mercedes. Ricciardo came the closest to challenging them as the Australian came third with 1m 34.051s. However, the 24-year-old will drop 10 places, courtesy of a penalty for unsafe release during last week's Malaysian Grand Prix.
Williams stands fourth with Bottas' 1m 34.247s and Force India came fifth with Perez's 1m 34.346s. Raikkonen put Ferrari on fifth 1m 34.368s.
The grid at the end of the day reads thus:
Rosberg, Hamilton; Bottas, Perez; Raikkonen, Button; Massa, Magnussen; Alonso, Vettel; Hulkenberg, Kvyat; Ricciardo, Vergne; Gutierrez, Grosjean; Maldonado, Sutil; Kobayashi, Bianchi; Ericsson, Chilton.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Novak Djokovic Stars In A New Commercial For Gerble Sans Gluten et Sans Souci
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best