The Ultimate 2014 NBA Playoffs Race Guide: West’s Final Slots Still Up For Grabs
By James Patrick Quizon | April 6, 2014 6:27 PM EST
Only four teams—San Antonio Spurs, Oklahoma City Thunder, Los Angeles Clippers and Houston Rockets have officially clinched a playoff spot in the Western Conference. This only means that the next teams at the bottom half of the West standings are still in danger of getting the boot.
NBA: Phoenix Suns at Toronto Raptors
Entering Sunday’s (April 6) games, the current fifth seeded team (Portland Trail Blazers) is only ahead by four games over the 9th seeded team (Phoenix Suns). Flanked by these squads are the Golden State Warriors, Dallas Mavericks and Memphis Grizzlies and all five are still not out of the woods with five games to play for each squad.
Here’s a quick look at the current standings and upcoming schedule for all five teams still battling for a playoff spot:
Battle for the West’s Final Slots:
5. Portland Trail Blazers (49-28)
6. Golden State Warriors (47-29)
7. Dallas Mavericks (46-31)
8. Memphis Grizzlies (45-31)
9. Phoenix Suns (45-31)
Portland Trail Blazers (4 home, 1 away) -NOP, SAC, @UTA, GSW, LAC
Golden State Warriors (3 home, 3 away) - UTA, DEN, @LAL, @POR, MIN, @DEN
Dallas Mavericks (2 home, 3 away) - @SAC, @UTA, SAS, PHX, @MEM
Memphis Grizzlies (3 home, 3 away) - @SAS, MIA, PHI, @LAL, @PHX, DAL
Phoenix Suns (2 home, 4 away) - OKC, @NOP, @SAS, @DAL, MEM, @SAC
Except for the Blazers, all four teams won their previous games with the most stirring win provided by the Suns, which beat the Blazers in comeback victory.
Still the Blazers are 2 games ahead of nearest competitor (Warriors) in five-team race for the last four slots. Also, Portland plays four of its last five games at home and three of which are against scrub teams New Orleans, Sacramento and Utah.
The most interesting battle is obviously between the Mavericks, Grizzlies and Suns. The last two are tied at 45-31 and Dallas is just ahead by half a game against these teams. Which games will decide who advances? The Suns games against Dallas and Memphis in the last week of the NBA regular season could very well decide who does.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 US Open Round of 16: Grigor Dimitrov vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged