The Ultimate 2014 NBA Playoffs Race Guide: West’s Final Slots Still Up For Grabs
By James Patrick Quizon | April 6, 2014 6:27 PM EST
Only four teams—San Antonio Spurs, Oklahoma City Thunder, Los Angeles Clippers and Houston Rockets have officially clinched a playoff spot in the Western Conference. This only means that the next teams at the bottom half of the West standings are still in danger of getting the boot.
NBA: Phoenix Suns at Toronto Raptors
Entering Sunday’s (April 6) games, the current fifth seeded team (Portland Trail Blazers) is only ahead by four games over the 9th seeded team (Phoenix Suns). Flanked by these squads are the Golden State Warriors, Dallas Mavericks and Memphis Grizzlies and all five are still not out of the woods with five games to play for each squad.
Here’s a quick look at the current standings and upcoming schedule for all five teams still battling for a playoff spot:
Battle for the West’s Final Slots:
5. Portland Trail Blazers (49-28)
6. Golden State Warriors (47-29)
7. Dallas Mavericks (46-31)
8. Memphis Grizzlies (45-31)
9. Phoenix Suns (45-31)
Portland Trail Blazers (4 home, 1 away) -NOP, SAC, @UTA, GSW, LAC
Golden State Warriors (3 home, 3 away) - UTA, DEN, @LAL, @POR, MIN, @DEN
Dallas Mavericks (2 home, 3 away) - @SAC, @UTA, SAS, PHX, @MEM
Memphis Grizzlies (3 home, 3 away) - @SAS, MIA, PHI, @LAL, @PHX, DAL
Phoenix Suns (2 home, 4 away) - OKC, @NOP, @SAS, @DAL, MEM, @SAC
Except for the Blazers, all four teams won their previous games with the most stirring win provided by the Suns, which beat the Blazers in comeback victory.
Still the Blazers are 2 games ahead of nearest competitor (Warriors) in five-team race for the last four slots. Also, Portland plays four of its last five games at home and three of which are against scrub teams New Orleans, Sacramento and Utah.
The most interesting battle is obviously between the Mavericks, Grizzlies and Suns. The last two are tied at 45-31 and Dallas is just ahead by half a game against these teams. Which games will decide who advances? The Suns games against Dallas and Memphis in the last week of the NBA regular season could very well decide who does.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage