The Ultimate 2014 NBA Playoffs Race Guide: West’s Final Slots Still Up For Grabs
By James Patrick Quizon | April 6, 2014 6:27 PM EST
Only four teams—San Antonio Spurs, Oklahoma City Thunder, Los Angeles Clippers and Houston Rockets have officially clinched a playoff spot in the Western Conference. This only means that the next teams at the bottom half of the West standings are still in danger of getting the boot.
NBA: Phoenix Suns at Toronto Raptors
Entering Sunday’s (April 6) games, the current fifth seeded team (Portland Trail Blazers) is only ahead by four games over the 9th seeded team (Phoenix Suns). Flanked by these squads are the Golden State Warriors, Dallas Mavericks and Memphis Grizzlies and all five are still not out of the woods with five games to play for each squad.
Here’s a quick look at the current standings and upcoming schedule for all five teams still battling for a playoff spot:
Battle for the West’s Final Slots:
5. Portland Trail Blazers (49-28)
6. Golden State Warriors (47-29)
7. Dallas Mavericks (46-31)
8. Memphis Grizzlies (45-31)
9. Phoenix Suns (45-31)
Portland Trail Blazers (4 home, 1 away) -NOP, SAC, @UTA, GSW, LAC
Golden State Warriors (3 home, 3 away) - UTA, DEN, @LAL, @POR, MIN, @DEN
Dallas Mavericks (2 home, 3 away) - @SAC, @UTA, SAS, PHX, @MEM
Memphis Grizzlies (3 home, 3 away) - @SAS, MIA, PHI, @LAL, @PHX, DAL
Phoenix Suns (2 home, 4 away) - OKC, @NOP, @SAS, @DAL, MEM, @SAC
Except for the Blazers, all four teams won their previous games with the most stirring win provided by the Suns, which beat the Blazers in comeback victory.
Still the Blazers are 2 games ahead of nearest competitor (Warriors) in five-team race for the last four slots. Also, Portland plays four of its last five games at home and three of which are against scrub teams New Orleans, Sacramento and Utah.
The most interesting battle is obviously between the Mavericks, Grizzlies and Suns. The last two are tied at 45-31 and Dallas is just ahead by half a game against these teams. Which games will decide who advances? The Suns games against Dallas and Memphis in the last week of the NBA regular season could very well decide who does.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Rafael Nadal To Showcase Vintage Look at US Open - Report
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies