The Ultimate 2014 NBA Playoffs Race Guide: Knicks, Hawks for East No. 8
By James Patrick Quizon | April 6, 2014 5:51 PM EST
No offense to the Cleveland Cavaliers but it appears it’s just a two-team race for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. After the Cavs pair of losses to the Charlotte Bobcats and the Atlanta Hawks earlier in the week, it’s down to two squads battling for the only slot left: the Hawks and the New York Knicks.
NBA: New York Knicks at Los Angeles Lakers
Seven teams have already clinched namely the Miami Heat, Indiana Pacers, Toronto Raptors, Chicago Bulls, Brooklyn Nets, Washington Wizards and Charlotte Bobcats.
Battle for the East’s 8th Spot
8. Atlanta Hawks (33-42)
9. New York Knicks (33-44)
10. Cleveland Cavaliers (31-47)
Last Friday, the Knicks fell to the Wizards, 90-89 and the Hawks beat up the Cavs, 117-98 as the teams flipped positions in the 8th and 9th positions in the East standings. Atlanta is now one game ahead of Carmelo Anthony’s squad although they still have the same number of wins thus far.
Both squads will travel on Sunday and take on East’s top teams. The Hawks gets tested by the Indiana Pacers and the Knicks meet rivals Miami Heat.
New York Knicks (2 home, 3 away) - @MIA, @TOR, CHI, @BKN, TOR
Atlanta Hawks (4 home, 3 away) - @IND, DET, BOS, @BKN, MIA, CHA, @MIL
Cleveland Cavaliers (3 home, 1 away) - DET, @MIL, BOS, BKN
The Cavaliers are NOT mathematically out of it; although they’ll need help from both the Knicks and Hawks to advance to the next round. (If the Knicks/Hawks get to 36 wins the Cavs are automatically out of the race)
Aside from the Indiana game, they’ll still meet playoff squads Brooklyn, Miami and Charlotte. The good news is they have winnable games against scrub teams like Detroit, Boston and Milwaukee.
Meanwhile, the Knicks are in a tough spot. ALL of their games left are against teams currently in the playoff picture. After the Miami game they’ll face Toronto (twice), Chicago and Brooklyn.
Can Melo lead the Knicks to the playoffs? Or will Paul Millsap tow the Hawks to the 8th seed?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- NBA Preview: Milwaukee Bucks Look to Develop Youngsters Jabari Parker, Giannis Antetokounmpo
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS