Nexus 6 Release Date: Early Launch of Google's Flagship Smartphone Unlikely
By Raymond Ronamai | April 6, 2014 1:37 AM EST
Google has been keeping mum on its purported new flagship smartphone, Nexus 6 but speculations on its release date have been doing the rounds for quite a while now. Early launch of the device is unlikely despite reports that the smartphone maker might announce it as early as June.
Screenshot from Google website
Several sections of the media have reported that Nexus 6 would be unveiled after Google's I/O Developers Conference on 24 June or early July. Google's VP Sundar Pichai had also hinted at the Mobile World Congress that the device would be announced perhaps in October. However, the smartphone may arrive by November at the earliest if release dates of its predecessors have anything to go by.
Google Nexus series have been released either in November or December over the years except the HTC Nexus One. So, Nexus 6 will most probably see the light of the day by the end of the year.
Nexus 6 is expected to have several upgrades, including processor, display, camera and operating system from its predecessor, Nexus 5. Itis expected to sport a 5.2-inch full HD and curved LCD display protected by Corning Gorilla Glass. It may come with the 64-bit version of its Snapdragon 800-series chipset with 3GB RAM and runs on Android OS (4.5), dubbed as Lollypop.
The device may have a 13MP camera (main) and 5MP front camera. It is also reported that Nexus 6 may have a 16MP camera as compared to 8MP camera in Nexus 5. The device may also come in three storage variants - 32 GB/64 GB/128 GB. It may come with connectivity such as Bluetooth, NFC, Micro-USB, Wi-Fi and 4G.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]