Chicago Train Derailment: Driver who ‘Dozed off’ Fired
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | April 5, 2014 7:15 PM EST
A train driver in Chicago has been sacked, after her train derailed last month. She reportedly fell asleep while driving the train, something she admits has happened numerous times. The 25-year-old woman worked as an operator for two months.
A derailed commuter train rests on an escalator at O'Hare international airport in Chicago (Photo: Reuters)
32 people were hurt when the train jumped its track at O'Hare International Airport and climbed up an escalator on 24 March.
The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) has said that the train was travelling at a normal speed of 42 km/h, when it entered the station. But an emergency braking system was applied beside the track, which failed to stop the train leading to the accident. The narration pointed towards the possibility that the driver had suddenly woken up after dozing off and applied the brakes in a confused state.
NTSB had said last month that the driver had dozed off just before the train entered the station.
The Chicago Transport Authority has said that the working schedule of the driver could not have played a major role in the crash, the BBC reported.
But, as a result of the crash, the officials would implement changes to its train operator scheduling policies after conducting an internal review of the accident.
CTA officials told the Chicago Tribune that the driver had worked 55 hours in the seven days preceding the incident. But she was off for about 18 hours prior to the shift, during which the mishap took place.
The driver has also admitted to over-running a station in February, officials said.
"An incident of this severity is sufficient for termination, and that it could terminate the contract of an operator for two serious safety violations," Reuters news agency quoted CTA spokeswoman Tammy Chase.
As part of the union collective bargaining agreement, the operator can appeal her firing. The National Transportation Safety has said that an investigation was underway and that a preliminary report was being prepared.
(Edited by Vanilla Sharma)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Australia's Chance Of El Niño Rises To 70%; Heatwaves And Drought To Persist
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Woman Gets Killed After Falling Off Cliff During Expedition Near Mermaid Pool
- ‘Drunk Girl in Public' Actress Apologises; Actor Tells Dr. Drew He Thought It Was Comedy Skit
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports