Skydiver Narrowly Missed by Meteorite: ‘World’s First Occurrence’ Claim Geologists
By Parismita Goswami | April 5, 2014 6:06 PM EST
A skydiver from Norway was narrowly missed by a meteorite mid-air in summer 2012. Anders Helstrup, along with other members of the Oslo Parachute Club, jumped from a plane and while releasing his parachute for a slowed descent above Hedmark, he felt something that looked like a stone a few feet away from him.
Wiki Commons/H. Raab
Meteorite (Wiki Commons/H. Raab)
"I got the feeling that there was something, but I didn't register what was happening," NRK quoted him as saying.
A video posted on YouTube shows how close the stone travelled. But Helstrup wanted hard evidence, so he and with his helpers had begun searching the forest area of one and a half square kilometers for any sign of the large meteorite.
He was skeptical of what actually passed by him. Helstrup showed the video to the Natural History Museum in Oslo in order to verify the footage by the geologists.
"When we stopped the film, we could clearly see something that looked like a stone. At first it crossed my mind that it had been packed into a parachute, but it's simply too big for that." said Helstrup.
Scientists were astonished to see the video and called it world's first occurrence.
The shape of the stone was certainly that of a meteorite and it was in a stage called "dark flight," when the light disappears and the meteorite no longer travels in a definite angle but travels straight down.
Helstrup's rock was free falling at 186 mph, concluded the geologists.
Catching such a meteorite on a video is "much less likely than winning the lottery three times in a row. It has never happened before that a meteorite has been filmed during dark flight; this is the first time in world history" said Hans Amundsen, a geologist.
Check out the video of the near miss meteorite here
(Edited by Vanilla Sharma)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Enhanced Footage Of NASA's Tether Incident Proves Aliens Exist, Say UFO Believers And Experts [Watch Video]
- Headache: Rx – Sex 3X A Day
- Philippines’s Mayon Volcano Shoots Lava & Hot Boulders
- A Jawbone Found In Sydney Beach Has Been Matched To An 800-Year Old Skull
- Fung-Wong More Like Ketsana Than Haiyan; Kills 1, Displaces 470,000 Filipinos & Paralyses Metro Manila
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best