Skydiver Narrowly Missed by Meteorite: ‘World’s First Occurrence’ Claim Geologists
By Parismita Goswami | April 5, 2014 6:06 PM EST
A skydiver from Norway was narrowly missed by a meteorite mid-air in summer 2012. Anders Helstrup, along with other members of the Oslo Parachute Club, jumped from a plane and while releasing his parachute for a slowed descent above Hedmark, he felt something that looked like a stone a few feet away from him.
Wiki Commons/H. Raab
Meteorite (Wiki Commons/H. Raab)
"I got the feeling that there was something, but I didn't register what was happening," NRK quoted him as saying.
A video posted on YouTube shows how close the stone travelled. But Helstrup wanted hard evidence, so he and with his helpers had begun searching the forest area of one and a half square kilometers for any sign of the large meteorite.
He was skeptical of what actually passed by him. Helstrup showed the video to the Natural History Museum in Oslo in order to verify the footage by the geologists.
"When we stopped the film, we could clearly see something that looked like a stone. At first it crossed my mind that it had been packed into a parachute, but it's simply too big for that." said Helstrup.
Scientists were astonished to see the video and called it world's first occurrence.
The shape of the stone was certainly that of a meteorite and it was in a stage called "dark flight," when the light disappears and the meteorite no longer travels in a definite angle but travels straight down.
Helstrup's rock was free falling at 186 mph, concluded the geologists.
Catching such a meteorite on a video is "much less likely than winning the lottery three times in a row. It has never happened before that a meteorite has been filmed during dark flight; this is the first time in world history" said Hans Amundsen, a geologist.
Check out the video of the near miss meteorite here
(Edited by Vanilla Sharma)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- Final 2014 Solar Eclipse: When And How To Safely View It Plus Where To Watch Online Via Live Stream
- Britons Advised to Brace for Strong Hurricane Gonzalo Bearing Winds Up to 75mph; Affects Flights, Train Services
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientist Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28