Women’s T20 World Cup: Australia Reaches Final
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 4, 2014 6:55 PM EST
In the women's T20 World Cup in Bangladesh, Australia secured the final place for the third consecutive times after beating West Indies by eight runs.
The Aussies batted first and made 140 for the loss of 5 wickets. In the second innings, West Indies was batting well, putting pressure to the opponent. The opening batsmen were cruising nicely till Kycia Knight was bowled by Erin Osborne, followed by the dismissal of Stafanie Taylor in a run-out. The 78-run stand came in just 8.4 overs when Deandra Dottin came in the pitch to respond to 9.3 run rate after the end of 10 overs.
Dottin, instead of all-round-attack, tried to play safe. However, she took due opportunity of the loose deliveries and added 50 runs with the company of Stacy-Ann King. At this stage, West Indies needed 43 runs from 28 deliveries. But the downfall started when they need 20 runs from 11 deliveries. Dottin tried to hit a low full-toss ball from Sarah Coyote, smoothly reaching the hands of Erin Osborne in deep midwicket.
On the Australian end, kudos to Alyssa Healy who batted No.7, added 30 vital runs at the trail of the match. Opener Elyssa Villani's 35 runs stand and Meg Lanning's 29 helped Aussies to come out of the rubble after West Indies rattled the middle-order wickets within 14 runs
West Indies was in a winning position as they were quite comfortable on slow wicket. But the disaster came in the eighth over from the dismissal of Taylor. The fall of second wicket came soon when Kycia Knight moved out of the crease to face a flighted delivery from Erin Osborne, missing the chance and ended by losing the middle stump. The Aussie bowlers were at one stage desperate to break the partnership. Once broken, the match turned into their favour to secure the berth in the final of T20 World Cup.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports