Women’s T20 World Cup: Australia Reaches Final
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 4, 2014 6:55 PM EST
In the women's T20 World Cup in Bangladesh, Australia secured the final place for the third consecutive times after beating West Indies by eight runs.
The Aussies batted first and made 140 for the loss of 5 wickets. In the second innings, West Indies was batting well, putting pressure to the opponent. The opening batsmen were cruising nicely till Kycia Knight was bowled by Erin Osborne, followed by the dismissal of Stafanie Taylor in a run-out. The 78-run stand came in just 8.4 overs when Deandra Dottin came in the pitch to respond to 9.3 run rate after the end of 10 overs.
Dottin, instead of all-round-attack, tried to play safe. However, she took due opportunity of the loose deliveries and added 50 runs with the company of Stacy-Ann King. At this stage, West Indies needed 43 runs from 28 deliveries. But the downfall started when they need 20 runs from 11 deliveries. Dottin tried to hit a low full-toss ball from Sarah Coyote, smoothly reaching the hands of Erin Osborne in deep midwicket.
On the Australian end, kudos to Alyssa Healy who batted No.7, added 30 vital runs at the trail of the match. Opener Elyssa Villani's 35 runs stand and Meg Lanning's 29 helped Aussies to come out of the rubble after West Indies rattled the middle-order wickets within 14 runs
West Indies was in a winning position as they were quite comfortable on slow wicket. But the disaster came in the eighth over from the dismissal of Taylor. The fall of second wicket came soon when Kycia Knight moved out of the crease to face a flighted delivery from Erin Osborne, missing the chance and ended by losing the middle stump. The Aussie bowlers were at one stage desperate to break the partnership. Once broken, the match turned into their favour to secure the berth in the final of T20 World Cup.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Ana Ivanovic Posts a Hot Selfie on Instagram after her San Francisco Photo-Shoot
- These 2 Questions Reveal if You Unwittingly Abuse Alcohol
- Jennifer Lopez and Her Wild 45th Birthday Party: How JLo’s Life-Size Birthday Cake from SamiCakes Boutique Was Made
- Blake Griffin’s Back Injury Is the Reason for His Withdrawal from Team U.S.A.
- Supernatural Season 10 Spoilers: Metatron Capable of Saving Castiel's Fading Grace
- Anderson Silva To Test the Octagon Anew After Freak Leg Injury, To Fight Nick Diaz in 2015