Women’s T20 World Cup: Australia Reaches Final
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 4, 2014 6:55 PM EST
In the women's T20 World Cup in Bangladesh, Australia secured the final place for the third consecutive times after beating West Indies by eight runs.
The Aussies batted first and made 140 for the loss of 5 wickets. In the second innings, West Indies was batting well, putting pressure to the opponent. The opening batsmen were cruising nicely till Kycia Knight was bowled by Erin Osborne, followed by the dismissal of Stafanie Taylor in a run-out. The 78-run stand came in just 8.4 overs when Deandra Dottin came in the pitch to respond to 9.3 run rate after the end of 10 overs.
Dottin, instead of all-round-attack, tried to play safe. However, she took due opportunity of the loose deliveries and added 50 runs with the company of Stacy-Ann King. At this stage, West Indies needed 43 runs from 28 deliveries. But the downfall started when they need 20 runs from 11 deliveries. Dottin tried to hit a low full-toss ball from Sarah Coyote, smoothly reaching the hands of Erin Osborne in deep midwicket.
On the Australian end, kudos to Alyssa Healy who batted No.7, added 30 vital runs at the trail of the match. Opener Elyssa Villani's 35 runs stand and Meg Lanning's 29 helped Aussies to come out of the rubble after West Indies rattled the middle-order wickets within 14 runs
West Indies was in a winning position as they were quite comfortable on slow wicket. But the disaster came in the eighth over from the dismissal of Taylor. The fall of second wicket came soon when Kycia Knight moved out of the crease to face a flighted delivery from Erin Osborne, missing the chance and ended by losing the middle stump. The Aussie bowlers were at one stage desperate to break the partnership. Once broken, the match turned into their favour to secure the berth in the final of T20 World Cup.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet