Shark Attack: NSW Police Finds Swimming Cap, Goggles And Possible Remains of Chris Armstrong

  • Rate this Story
  • 0
  • 0

By Reissa Su | April 4, 2014 6:47 PM EST

NSW police have found the goggles and the swimming cap believed to belong to Chris Armstrong who was taken by a shark in Australia's Tathra beach. Aside from the cap and goggles, authorities also found some human remains.

REUTERS/Julie Noce
Animal rights activists gather to denounce controversial programme to cull sharks off coast of Western Australia. February 1, 2014. REUTERS/Julie Noce

New South Wales police recovered the swimming goggles and cap that belonged to the 63-year-old shark victim. The police recently said the objects were found along with "organic" matter. According to the investigators, the remains that were located have been identified as belonging to a human. It will be further examined for forensic testing.

Chris Armstrong was swimming with five other friends off Tathra wharf when she was suddenly dragged by a shark. Dozens of emergency service personnel had been scouring the waters after his companions reported the incident. The beach in Tathra was closed as emergency service personnel searched for her body.

Authorities used two boats to search for the body of Armstrong. Searchers with masks and snorkels looked for any signs of the victim or the shark.

Rob, Armstrong's husband, seemed to be holding up well, according to Police Inspector Jason Edmunds. He said the victim's husband was in the water when he saw the shark. Armstrong's husband was "more willing" to accept what happened to his wife.

Sharks are commonly found in Australian waters but fatal attacks have been rare. According to reports, only one in 15 attacks in a year turned out to be deadly.

The latest attack on Chris Armstong came after the presumed death of a man who was reported missing while spearfishing off the South Australia coast in February. A great white shark was allegedly seen in the area shortly after that.

On April 2, the body of a diver was recovered after he disappeared in Western Australia. Authorities said the remains showed evidence that the diver was bitten by a shark.

Based on data from the Australian Shark Attack File at Taronga Zoo in Sydney, the last known unprovoked shark attack in New South Wales occurred in 2013 at Coffs Harbour. 

To contact the editor, e-mail:

(Photo: REUTERS/Julie Noce / )
Animal rights activists gather to denounce controversial programme to cull sharks off coast of Western Australia. February 1, 2014. REUTERS/Julie Noce
  • Rate this Story
  • 0
  • 0
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.com.au, the business news leader

Join the Conversation

IBTimes TV
E-Newsletters

We value your privacy. Your email address will not be shared.