James Franco Flirts with Teenager on Instagram: Hoax to Promote ‘Palo Alto’?
By Keerthi Mohan | April 4, 2014 6:32 PM EST
James Franco allegedly flirting with teenager Lucy Clode on Instagram, has sparked an outrage as it involved the actor asking her if he should rent a room. But now, it appears that the flirtation was staged to promote his new movie “Palo Alto”, which was released on April 1.
In the movie, Franco’s character is a teacher who seduces a student, and the actor’s attempt to flirt with Clode might be an attempt to bring in more publicity for the movie, which is directed by Gia Coppola.
A number of fans have taken to their Twitter accounts to note that they too believe the entire incident to be a hoax.
Considering this is James Franco we're talking about, this stuff with the 17-year-old girl is a complete hoax.
— James (@FunkDoc1112) April 3, 2014
I know that James Franco thing is a hoax ✋ — Luke Springall (@Springsley) April 3, 2014
“So, is this @JamesFrancoTV texting a young girl thing just to promote #PaloAlto? becasue that'd be kind of genius,” another tweet read.
Franco landed in the middle of the controversy after asking Clode, a teenager from Scotland who was visiting New York City, to tag him in an Instagram video of hers with the actor. The 17-year-old met Franco outside the Longacre Theatre where Franco was performing in “Of Mice and Men.”
Soon after, the duo started interacting on Instagram and Franco asked her age, where she was staying and if she has a boyfriend.
“Nearly 18, my mum and not if you're around,” she replied.
He then proceeded to ask her if he should rent a room, but the teen declined the offer saying that she will come back when she is 18.
“Well this is a story my Scottish friends will never believe,” her message to Franco read.
Meanwhile, Franco made light of the allegations leveled at him and took to his Twitter account asking parents to keep their children away from him.
“I'M NOT! I HOPE PARENTS KEEP THEIR TEENS AWAY FROM ME. Thank you,” he tweeted. The first part of the message seems to be in referrence to people calling him a pervert.
The alleged publicity stunt seems to have worked for Franco, for he later tweeted, “1.6m followers.”
(Edited by Vanilla Sharma)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Kylie Jenner Shamed for Range Rover Boasts
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy Exits DWTS For Jennifer Lopez --- Reports
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff