James Franco Flirts with Teenager on Instagram: Hoax to Promote ‘Palo Alto’?
By Keerthi Mohan | April 4, 2014 6:32 PM EST
James Franco allegedly flirting with teenager Lucy Clode on Instagram, has sparked an outrage as it involved the actor asking her if he should rent a room. But now, it appears that the flirtation was staged to promote his new movie “Palo Alto”, which was released on April 1.
In the movie, Franco’s character is a teacher who seduces a student, and the actor’s attempt to flirt with Clode might be an attempt to bring in more publicity for the movie, which is directed by Gia Coppola.
A number of fans have taken to their Twitter accounts to note that they too believe the entire incident to be a hoax.
Considering this is James Franco we're talking about, this stuff with the 17-year-old girl is a complete hoax.
— James (@FunkDoc1112) April 3, 2014
I know that James Franco thing is a hoax ✋ — Luke Springall (@Springsley) April 3, 2014
“So, is this @JamesFrancoTV texting a young girl thing just to promote #PaloAlto? becasue that'd be kind of genius,” another tweet read.
Franco landed in the middle of the controversy after asking Clode, a teenager from Scotland who was visiting New York City, to tag him in an Instagram video of hers with the actor. The 17-year-old met Franco outside the Longacre Theatre where Franco was performing in “Of Mice and Men.”
Soon after, the duo started interacting on Instagram and Franco asked her age, where she was staying and if she has a boyfriend.
“Nearly 18, my mum and not if you're around,” she replied.
He then proceeded to ask her if he should rent a room, but the teen declined the offer saying that she will come back when she is 18.
“Well this is a story my Scottish friends will never believe,” her message to Franco read.
Meanwhile, Franco made light of the allegations leveled at him and took to his Twitter account asking parents to keep their children away from him.
“I'M NOT! I HOPE PARENTS KEEP THEIR TEENS AWAY FROM ME. Thank you,” he tweeted. The first part of the message seems to be in referrence to people calling him a pervert.
The alleged publicity stunt seems to have worked for Franco, for he later tweeted, “1.6m followers.”
(Edited by Vanilla Sharma)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Kanye West Abandons Kim Kardashian after 58 Days of Marriage – Reports
- Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev Drama: Heartbroken The Vampire Diaries Actress Reacts to Nikki Reed Dating News—Report
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales