James Franco Flirts with Teenager on Instagram: Hoax to Promote ‘Palo Alto’?
By Keerthi Mohan | April 4, 2014 6:32 PM EST
James Franco allegedly flirting with teenager Lucy Clode on Instagram, has sparked an outrage as it involved the actor asking her if he should rent a room. But now, it appears that the flirtation was staged to promote his new movie “Palo Alto”, which was released on April 1.
In the movie, Franco’s character is a teacher who seduces a student, and the actor’s attempt to flirt with Clode might be an attempt to bring in more publicity for the movie, which is directed by Gia Coppola.
A number of fans have taken to their Twitter accounts to note that they too believe the entire incident to be a hoax.
Considering this is James Franco we're talking about, this stuff with the 17-year-old girl is a complete hoax.
— James (@FunkDoc1112) April 3, 2014
I know that James Franco thing is a hoax ✋ — Luke Springall (@Springsley) April 3, 2014
“So, is this @JamesFrancoTV texting a young girl thing just to promote #PaloAlto? becasue that'd be kind of genius,” another tweet read.
Franco landed in the middle of the controversy after asking Clode, a teenager from Scotland who was visiting New York City, to tag him in an Instagram video of hers with the actor. The 17-year-old met Franco outside the Longacre Theatre where Franco was performing in “Of Mice and Men.”
Soon after, the duo started interacting on Instagram and Franco asked her age, where she was staying and if she has a boyfriend.
“Nearly 18, my mum and not if you're around,” she replied.
He then proceeded to ask her if he should rent a room, but the teen declined the offer saying that she will come back when she is 18.
“Well this is a story my Scottish friends will never believe,” her message to Franco read.
Meanwhile, Franco made light of the allegations leveled at him and took to his Twitter account asking parents to keep their children away from him.
“I'M NOT! I HOPE PARENTS KEEP THEIR TEENS AWAY FROM ME. Thank you,” he tweeted. The first part of the message seems to be in referrence to people calling him a pervert.
The alleged publicity stunt seems to have worked for Franco, for he later tweeted, “1.6m followers.”
(Edited by Vanilla Sharma)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- 'Revenge' Season 4 Spoilers: Daniel, Emily In Twisted Friendship; David Clarke Mystery Growing (Review, Updates)
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Nov. 24 – 28 Spoilers: JJ Decides, Melanie Confronts Chad And Daniel And Nicole Reconcile
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation