World Cup 2014: A Guide to Belo Horizonte
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 4, 2014 6:13 PM EST
The Mineirão stadium in Belo Horizonte got its facelift to host the upcoming matches of FIFA World Cup 2014.
The stadium was inaugurated in 1965 and is the home ground of Clube Atlético Mineiro and Cruzeiro Esporte Clube. The renovation was over in December and it is the second stadium in Brazil ready to host the World Cup.
Estádio Mineirão was once the second-largest stadium in Brazil till Estádio Maracanã in Rio de Janeiro took the place.
Mineirão is a historical venue and has been added in the list of Belo Horizonte's Historical Heritage. The modernisation project has added a lot of new features which are needed to host the prestigious tournament. The renovation primarily focuses on sustainability and added security by placing 350 cameras in different strategic points.
The roof of the stadium uses photovoltaic panels, which has the ability to produce energy for at least 1,200 homes surrounding the location. The oval form, which has been there since 1965, was kept intact to retain the old glory. Trees have been planted outside the stadium to increase the aesthetic feel. The stadium has the seating capacity of 62,547.
The following are the matches to be played in Mineirão: Colombia vs. Greece (June 14), Belgium vs. Algeria (June 17), Argentina vs. Iran (June 21) and Costa Rica vs. England (June 24). In the second round of the tournament, the winner of Group A will play against runner-up of Group B on June 28, followed by one semifinal match on July 8, in which the winner of the first quarterfinal will contend against the winner of the second quarterfinal.
Location: Mineirão stadium is located in the neighborhood of Pampulha, and it belongs to the Minas Gerais state government. It is around 6.5 miles off the city's downtown. The roads are congested, but there are enough transports like public buses and taxis that lead to the stadium. The problem that lies with the city is the accommodation even if the Savassi, Carmo and Lourdes neighbourhood hosts some good hotels and restaurants for tourists.
Weather: Summer at Belo Horizonte is quite hot. Temperature usually varies from 24°C to 27°C in the month of June and July.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers