2014 Lunar Eclipse: How and Where To Best View Total Lunar Eclipse on April 15
By Jenalyn Villamarin | April 4, 2014 5:33 PM EST
On April 14 and 15, the Earth's shadow will be darkening the full Moon for the startling celestial sky display, the 2014 Lunar Eclipse. Clear skies and no weather disturbances will offer the sky watchers a remarkable night view at the Geauga Park District's Observatory Park in Montville Township, Ohio.
The full Moon will start to appear at around 7:45 pm but the total lunar eclipse is set to begin at approximately 1 am. Chris Mentrek, the Observatory Park astronomy naturalist, will be tracking the lunar eclipse the entire night.
"The entire eclipse lasts a bit more than five hours, beginning about 1 a.m., and the moon will be totally eclipsed for about an hour and 17 minutes, starting from about 3 a.m., with the maximum about 3:45 a.m.," Chris Mentrek's press release statement read in the Cleveland.com report. The expert further added that the best part of the sky display will take place between 1:58 and 3:06 a.m. where the "Moon passes into the umbra, the darkest portion of the Earth's shadow."
The public will be having a free admission to conduct a telescopic view of the Moon's transformation starting on April 14, Monday, at 8 pm until April 15 at 5 am. Before that, the Observatory Park will be offering a preview program scheduled on Friday, April 11, starting at 7 pm until 9 pm only.
Weather-permitting, the program will include as well the indoor planetarium presentation followed with the night sky observation utilizing the park telescopes. According to the Universe Today report, viewers can only use the naked eye or "Mark 1 eyeball" to have a look at the lunar eclipse but the viewing experience will still be more fun through binoculars or a low-power telescope field of view.
The Mother Nature Network report claims North America will be the best location to view the 2014 Total Lunar Eclipse, where the Full Moon transforms into a red-glowing ball in the dark sky for over an hour. The report further noted that the 2014 Lunar Eclipse will be the first one to be broadly observable from North America in almost 3.5 years. "The Americas will have the best view of this eclipse, although over the Canadian Maritimes, moonset will intervene near the end of totality," the MNN report reads.
More Articles to Read:
2014 Lyrids Meteor Shower: Sky Display Set to Peak on April 22 - [READ]
UFO Sightings: Witness Spotted Mysterious Flying Saucer Over a Guernsey College - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers