Sydney Jockey Nathan Berry Passes Away
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 4, 2014 3:54 PM EST
The 23-year-old Sydney jockey Nathan Berry left a vacuum as he passed away after struggling with serious illness while in Singapore.
Berry was flown back to Sydney on a chartered medical flight from Singapore. He remained in the hospital at Singapore for two weeks after he collapsed at the trackwork in Kanji.
He was initially diagnosed with viral encephalitis and later with Norse syndrome which is acute stage of epilepsy. He was put in induced coma when he made some improvement, but on Tuesday, his condition worsened.
Berry's twin brother Tommy Berry, who is also a notable jockey, was by the side of his brother in Singapore along with family members and close friend and rider Christian Reith.
Berry was married to Whitney Schofield, daughter of the famous jockey Glyn Schofield.
Peter V'Landy, chief executive of New South Wales Racing, said the news came as a major shock to the racing industry.
"Sadness is not a sufficient word to describe this tragedy. We are all very distressed and could not imagine the grief the family must be going through ... This was a young man that had the world at his feet," V'Landy said.
Earlier, Tommy Berry, who won the opening race at Rosehill Gardens on Saturday, dedicated his victory to his brother.
As a leading jockey, Nathan Berry's name is associated with the victory on Unencumbered in the Magic Million Classic of $2 million in January. At his young age, he had his record of 350 career winners.
Berry will be deeply missed on the Golden Slipper meeting, slated on Saturday. The Unencumbered will now contest with Craig Williams for the $3.5-million race.
Darren Pearce, Australian Turf Club chief executive, stated they are looking forward to pay their homage on Saturday to this leading jockey.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports