Sydney Airport Named the 'Worst Airport' in Australia Due to Congestion and Service Quality Issues
By Reissa Su | April 4, 2014 2:49 PM EST
The Sydney Airport in Australia has been ranked the worst large airport as passengers expressed their dissatisfaction about the congestion in its domestic and international terminals. According to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC)'s annual report, Australia's biggest airports will need to invest more to address congestion, passenger growth and boost service levels.
The Queen Mary 2 sets sail past the Sydney Opera House, February 19, 2014. Entering service in 2004, the flagship of the Cunard Line is celebrating its 10th anniversary with a three-week cruise that will circumnavigate Australia. REUTERS/Jason Reed
ACCC chairman Rod Sims said it is possible that the monitored airports in Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne and Perth will be under mounting pressure in the coming years given proof of congestion.
In the ACCC's state of the airport report, Brisbane is the only airport that has shown improvement in service quality. Sydney Airport's quality of service was rated the lowest among the largest airports in Australia.
Melbourne Airport had a rating of "satisfactory" with its "average" quality of service. Airline passengers rated Tullamarine "good" in service. Ratings of airlines dropped from "satisfactory" to "poor." The ACCC reported that airlines were concerned about the Melbourne Airport's standards and availability of aircraft-related facilities like parking bays. The ACCC said it has seen evidence in capacity issues in terminals and its linked road systems.
The Sydney Airport's service quality has shown no change and dropped to the bottom of the rankings. Passengers rated Kingsford Smith as "satisfactory" while airlines said the airport's service is "poor."
Sydney Airport's low quality of service and low investments in addressing the demands of passengers and airlines indicate that the necessary improvements have not been made. The ACCC recognises that the airport's expansion to accommodate service needs may be limited due to regulatory constraints. However, the airport has the ability to address the issues of some services related to aircraft and passengers.
According to the report, the Sydney Airport had the highest revenue and margins from car parking space fees. Travellers pay $56 for parking their cars for eight hours in Sydney's airport. A fee of $32 is charged for three hours of parking and $16 for an hour. Melbourne Airport charges the same fee as Sydney's for $56 for eight hours but lower fees for three and one-hour parking with $28 and $14 respectively.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Russia Floats Another Ridiculous Conspiracy Theory that MH 370 & 17 Is One Jet Which U.S. Military Arranged to Be Blown Up Over Ukraine
- MH17: Pro-Russian Rebel Confesses Firing on Plane by Mistake
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Russians Feel Glut Over Steady Diet of Conspiracy Theories on Downed Jet
- What May Have Happened to Malaysia Airlines MH17: 5 Strangest Conspiracy Theories; Crash Victim Had Frightening ‘Premonition’
- Refloated Italy Cruise Ship Costa Concordia Embarks Final Voyage, Bids Port of Giglio for the Very Last Time (PHOTOS)
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales