Marijuana Less Harmful than Alcohol to Health and Society – American Survey
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | April 4, 2014 2:40 PM EST
A new survey released by the Pew Research Center has revealed that 69 per cent of Americans believed that marijuana is less harmful than alcohol to one's overall health, while 63 per cent believe alcohol was more harmful to society than marijuana.
A man walks past a mural on a marijuana dispensary near Venice Beach in Los Angeles, California April 1, 2014. REUTERS/Lucy Nicholson
Conducted in mid-February 2014 among 1,821 adults, the Pew Research Center poll likewise found the number of people who think pot should be legalised continues to grow. Fifty-four per cent said they want marijuana legalised, compared to the 52 per cent who didn't favour legalisation four years ago.
The latest survey seem to confirm data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention which showed that excessive alcohol consumption is devastating to a person's overall health. Such illnesses include heart disease, liver disease and elevated cancer risks, the Huffington Post said. The CDC said that in 2006 alone, 1.2 million emergency room visits and 2.7 million physician office visits were recorded due to excessive alcohol use.
Each year in the U.S., deaths attributable to alcohol use reach at least 88,000.
There are currently 20 states in the U.S., including Washington, where the sale of medical marijuana is allowed.
Americans surveyed in the poll, at 75 per cent, also believe the sale of marijuana will become legal in the long run across the nation, whether the populace supports it or not.
Another survey released by WebMD on Tuesday said a majority of doctors support legalising medical marijuana. The survey included 1,540 doctors in which 69 per cent of them said it could help with certain medical conditions. Another 67 per cent said it should be a medical option nationwide.
A whopping 82 per cent among oncologists and hematologists said it should be a medical option.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- Vatican 2014 Final Synod Report: Gays Still ‘Unwelcome’ in Catholic Church, LGBT Thankful for First Step
- New Zealand Losing $9.4 Billion Every Year to Fraud
- 5 Cities With The Highest Cost Of Living In 2014
- Ebola ‘Cruise Ship’: Holidaymakers Furious Organisers Hid the Truth About Dallas Health Care Worker
- Canada Conducts Practice Drill Of Ebola Rapid Response Teams, To Send Experimental VSV-BOV Vaccine To WHO
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage