Marijuana Less Harmful than Alcohol to Health and Society – American Survey
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | April 4, 2014 2:40 PM EST
A new survey released by the Pew Research Center has revealed that 69 per cent of Americans believed that marijuana is less harmful than alcohol to one's overall health, while 63 per cent believe alcohol was more harmful to society than marijuana.
A man walks past a mural on a marijuana dispensary near Venice Beach in Los Angeles, California April 1, 2014. REUTERS/Lucy Nicholson
Conducted in mid-February 2014 among 1,821 adults, the Pew Research Center poll likewise found the number of people who think pot should be legalised continues to grow. Fifty-four per cent said they want marijuana legalised, compared to the 52 per cent who didn't favour legalisation four years ago.
The latest survey seem to confirm data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention which showed that excessive alcohol consumption is devastating to a person's overall health. Such illnesses include heart disease, liver disease and elevated cancer risks, the Huffington Post said. The CDC said that in 2006 alone, 1.2 million emergency room visits and 2.7 million physician office visits were recorded due to excessive alcohol use.
Each year in the U.S., deaths attributable to alcohol use reach at least 88,000.
There are currently 20 states in the U.S., including Washington, where the sale of medical marijuana is allowed.
Americans surveyed in the poll, at 75 per cent, also believe the sale of marijuana will become legal in the long run across the nation, whether the populace supports it or not.
Another survey released by WebMD on Tuesday said a majority of doctors support legalising medical marijuana. The survey included 1,540 doctors in which 69 per cent of them said it could help with certain medical conditions. Another 67 per cent said it should be a medical option nationwide.
A whopping 82 per cent among oncologists and hematologists said it should be a medical option.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks
- Travel Alert: Malaysia’s AirAsia Cuts Number Of Australian Flights
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- Julie Bishop Condemns Barack Obama For Overlooking Australia’s Commitment in Protecting Great Barrier Reef