#bringdowntheking – Statue Of King Joffrey of ‘Game of Thrones’ To Be Beheaded In New Zealand
By Anne Lu | April 4, 2014 2:33 PM EST
“Game of Throne” fans now have a chance to smash King Joffrey to pieces in New Zealand. SKY TV New Zealand has built a statue of the most hated character on the show, which viewers can help destroy just by tweeting #bringdowntheking.
An email, received by The Mary Sue, explains that a statue of the sadistic little king was erected in Auckland, solely for the entertainment of the show’s fans who can obtain satisfaction in tearing him down.
A rope is attached on the statue’s neck, which will be pulled tighter every time a fan tweets the hashtag #bringdowntheking.
And to make it even more satisfying for the fans, cameras have been installed around the statue so they can watch the beheading live.
“As the statue gains attention in real life and online, a large, medieval winch will be attached to the statue, with a rope around Joffrey’s neck, along with the appearance of the hashtag #bringdowntheking. From there, fans who’ve had enough of Joffrey’s nonsense can use the tag #bringdowntheking, and with each use of it, the rope will pull tighter around Joffrey’s head," the email reads.
“All interested parties should head to www.bringdowntheking.com to see live webcams of all the action, see and send their own messages, as well as stay abreast of the latest news and developments.”
Joffrey’s rise and fall are all part of SKY TV’s efforts to promote the highly anticipated season four premiere of “Game of Thrones,” which is on April 6.
It is hoped that enough people have tweeted to “bring down the king” so that the king can actually go down by Sunday, just in time for the premiere.
Meanwhile, the lovable Jack Gleeson, who plays King Joffrey, isn’t near as despicable as his fictional character in real life.
When asked by Entertainment Weekly what the meanest thing that he has done was, his answer was actually pretty tame even for non-Westeros residents like us.
“Um, I read my sister’s diary when I was 7. She was, I think, 13. It was awful to read it... I also ruined the end of one of the Harry Potter books for the same sister. I said Sirius died when she was halfway through.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- 'Revenge' Season 4 Spoilers: Daniel, Emily In Twisted Friendship; David Clarke Mystery Growing (Review, Updates)
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Nov. 24 – 28 Spoilers: JJ Decides, Melanie Confronts Chad And Daniel And Nicole Reconcile
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation