#bringdowntheking – Statue Of King Joffrey of ‘Game of Thrones’ To Be Beheaded In New Zealand
By Anne Lu | April 4, 2014 2:33 PM EST
“Game of Throne” fans now have a chance to smash King Joffrey to pieces in New Zealand. SKY TV New Zealand has built a statue of the most hated character on the show, which viewers can help destroy just by tweeting #bringdowntheking.
An email, received by The Mary Sue, explains that a statue of the sadistic little king was erected in Auckland, solely for the entertainment of the show’s fans who can obtain satisfaction in tearing him down.
A rope is attached on the statue’s neck, which will be pulled tighter every time a fan tweets the hashtag #bringdowntheking.
And to make it even more satisfying for the fans, cameras have been installed around the statue so they can watch the beheading live.
“As the statue gains attention in real life and online, a large, medieval winch will be attached to the statue, with a rope around Joffrey’s neck, along with the appearance of the hashtag #bringdowntheking. From there, fans who’ve had enough of Joffrey’s nonsense can use the tag #bringdowntheking, and with each use of it, the rope will pull tighter around Joffrey’s head," the email reads.
“All interested parties should head to www.bringdowntheking.com to see live webcams of all the action, see and send their own messages, as well as stay abreast of the latest news and developments.”
Joffrey’s rise and fall are all part of SKY TV’s efforts to promote the highly anticipated season four premiere of “Game of Thrones,” which is on April 6.
It is hoped that enough people have tweeted to “bring down the king” so that the king can actually go down by Sunday, just in time for the premiere.
Meanwhile, the lovable Jack Gleeson, who plays King Joffrey, isn’t near as despicable as his fictional character in real life.
When asked by Entertainment Weekly what the meanest thing that he has done was, his answer was actually pretty tame even for non-Westeros residents like us.
“Um, I read my sister’s diary when I was 7. She was, I think, 13. It was awful to read it... I also ruined the end of one of the Harry Potter books for the same sister. I said Sirius died when she was halfway through.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Premiere Questions: 'Frozen' Story Kicks Off, Queen Elsa vs Emma Swan vs The Evil Queen - New Story Unfolds [SPOILERS]
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate