Michael Schumacher Latest News: F1 Legend Holding on at 12 Weeks, But is He Really Exhibiting ‘Encouraging Signs’ or Worsening Signs?
By Rachelle Corpuz | April 4, 2014 12:25 PM EST
Michael Schumacher has been in a medically-induced coma for 12 weeks, and he is reportedly showing "encouraging signs," leading his family and loved ones to believe that there is still hope for the Formula One (F1) legend.
A message (L) of support for former Formula One champion Michael Schumacher of Germany is seen on the car of Mercedes Formula One driver Lewis Hamilton of Britain during the second practice session of the Australian F1 Grand Prix at the Albert Park circuit in Melbourne March 14, 2014. Schumacher suffered severe head injuries when he slammed into a rock while skiing off-piste in the French Alps resort of Meribel in December. REUTERS/David Gray
According to a latest news report by The Mirror, Schumacher's manager Sabine Kehm insisted that the seven-time world champion is showing signs that he will be able to wake from his coma. "I can only say again: There are signs that give us encouragement," said Ms Kehm. She also quieted the rumours that Shumacher's wife Corinna is building a medical suite in their house to be able to give way for new patients in the hospital that her husband is currently admitted in as well as to prepare for long-term care for him.
"The rumours that Corinna remodels her house to bring the supposedly 'hopeless case Michael' home, are absolutely groundless," Ms Kehm added.
Ms Kehm has initially released a statement on behalf of Schumacher's family on March 12, as reported by BBC. According to her statement, they remain optimistic that Schumacher will wake up and become well again after the serious illness. "We are and remain confident that Michael will pull through and will wake up," she said. "There sometimes are small, encouraging signs, but we also know that this is the time to be very patient," she added in the statement.
Schumacher's family had been elusive to reveal concrete data and only a few pieces of information were shared regarding the real condition of the former F1 racer. Is Schumacher really exhibiting "encouraging signs" or worsening signs?
Having spent three months since Dec 29 in a coma, Schumacher had lost 25 per cent of his pre-accident weight, The Telegraph reported. Former F1 doctor Gary Hartstein said through his blog that it is possible for Schumacher to lose. Mr Hartstein said that everything that Schumacher had been into following his accident such as the injury itself in addition to the operations he had to go through as well as the days he had spent in the hospital are the factors that could result in weight loss.
Neurosurgeons concerned about Schumacher's condition
Some neurosurgeons and brain experts have expressed their worries and apprehensions about Schumacher's condition. They said that it is likely that Schumacher's health will worsen and the chance of recovering fully is questionable if he stays in coma longer.
"Every day, every week in a coma, the chances decline that the situation is improved," said neurology professor, Jean-Marc Orgogozo at Bordeaux University.
An Austrian report, as told by Grandprix247.com, stated that Schumacher's recovery is below 50 per cent.
Schumacher was put in a medically-induced coma after he hit his head in a skiing accident in the French Alps in December 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues