Michael Schumacher Latest News: F1 Legend Holding on at 12 Weeks, But is He Really Exhibiting ‘Encouraging Signs’ or Worsening Signs?
By Rachelle Corpuz | April 4, 2014 12:25 PM EST
Michael Schumacher has been in a medically-induced coma for 12 weeks, and he is reportedly showing "encouraging signs," leading his family and loved ones to believe that there is still hope for the Formula One (F1) legend.
A message (L) of support for former Formula One champion Michael Schumacher of Germany is seen on the car of Mercedes Formula One driver Lewis Hamilton of Britain during the second practice session of the Australian F1 Grand Prix at the Albert Park circuit in Melbourne March 14, 2014. Schumacher suffered severe head injuries when he slammed into a rock while skiing off-piste in the French Alps resort of Meribel in December. REUTERS/David Gray
According to a latest news report by The Mirror, Schumacher's manager Sabine Kehm insisted that the seven-time world champion is showing signs that he will be able to wake from his coma. "I can only say again: There are signs that give us encouragement," said Ms Kehm. She also quieted the rumours that Shumacher's wife Corinna is building a medical suite in their house to be able to give way for new patients in the hospital that her husband is currently admitted in as well as to prepare for long-term care for him.
"The rumours that Corinna remodels her house to bring the supposedly 'hopeless case Michael' home, are absolutely groundless," Ms Kehm added.
Ms Kehm has initially released a statement on behalf of Schumacher's family on March 12, as reported by BBC. According to her statement, they remain optimistic that Schumacher will wake up and become well again after the serious illness. "We are and remain confident that Michael will pull through and will wake up," she said. "There sometimes are small, encouraging signs, but we also know that this is the time to be very patient," she added in the statement.
Schumacher's family had been elusive to reveal concrete data and only a few pieces of information were shared regarding the real condition of the former F1 racer. Is Schumacher really exhibiting "encouraging signs" or worsening signs?
Having spent three months since Dec 29 in a coma, Schumacher had lost 25 per cent of his pre-accident weight, The Telegraph reported. Former F1 doctor Gary Hartstein said through his blog that it is possible for Schumacher to lose. Mr Hartstein said that everything that Schumacher had been into following his accident such as the injury itself in addition to the operations he had to go through as well as the days he had spent in the hospital are the factors that could result in weight loss.
Neurosurgeons concerned about Schumacher's condition
Some neurosurgeons and brain experts have expressed their worries and apprehensions about Schumacher's condition. They said that it is likely that Schumacher's health will worsen and the chance of recovering fully is questionable if he stays in coma longer.
"Every day, every week in a coma, the chances decline that the situation is improved," said neurology professor, Jean-Marc Orgogozo at Bordeaux University.
An Austrian report, as told by Grandprix247.com, stated that Schumacher's recovery is below 50 per cent.
Schumacher was put in a medically-induced coma after he hit his head in a skiing accident in the French Alps in December 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS