Boxing News 2014: Floyd Mayweather Jr Nears 49-0 Record of Boxing Legend Rocky Marciano; Referees Sparring Session of Youngest Money Team Members
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 4, 2014 10:49 AM EST
Freddie Roach, the coach of Manny Pacquiao believes that even if Floyd Mayweather Jr - with his fight record of 45-0, 26 of which are KOs - is approaching the 49-0 record of boxing legend Rocky Marciano, Money May's unbeaten record would not be so sterling if he did not have a match against eight-division titleholder.
Floyd Mayweather Jr could fight either Amir Khan or Marcos Maidana
Both camps had entertained thoughts of the dream match, but disagreement on blood tests prior to the fight has led to the bout being set aside.
Roach noted, "The pool's very small for both guys ... Somewhere they're going to have to fight each other," quoted ABS-CBN.
Pacquiao is in the thick of preparations at the Wild Card Gym in California for his rematch with Bradley. He said that he is not thinking yet of his next fight, but is bent on regaining the World Boxing Organisation welterweight crown that he lost to Bradley in their controversial first fight in June 2012.
Going back to his first loss in so many years, Pacquiao said, quoted by Badlefthook, "In the first fight against Tim Bradley, I was over it before I returned to the dressing room. To Freddie Roach and me, and apparently everyone else who watched the fight - except for two - I won the fight."
He added, "The first thing I sat to Freddie when we saw each other in the dressing [room] after the fight was, 'He [Bradley] ran just like we knew he would.' We never discussed or debated the decision because it was obvious that I had won the fight and nearly every round."
April 12 would finally reveal whether Manny was indeed cheated of his crown or Bradley deserved it after all.
Meanwhile, Mayweather is preparing the next-generation of boxers under his Money Team, and served as referee in a sparring session on Wednesday as he took a break from his preparations for his May 3 bout.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More