Lorde Says 'I'm drawn to women who aren't painted in history as sweet figures'
By nidhi tewari | April 4, 2014 2:54 AM EST
Two times Grammy Award winning singer Lorde features on the cover page of Fashion Magazine in a completely new look. The "Royals" singer is dressed in a warrior kind of gold armoured dress. Huge earrings and black nail paint complemented her warrior inspired dress. In the magazine, the singer also opens up about her innermost feelings, revealing why she doesn't want to put up a smile always.
Pop singer Lorde poses backstage with her awards for song of the year for "Royals" and best pop solo performance for "Royals" at the 56th annual Grammy Awards in Los Angeles, California January 26, 2014. REUTERS/Danny Moloshok
"I'm drawn to women who aren't painted in history as sweet figures," the 17-year-old New Zealander singer says to Fashion Magazine, adding that she idolises Patti Smith.
"She [Patti Smith] was frustrated. She didn't take people's s**t. There's no better music idol for young women, because there is a lot of pressure for us to be really positive all the time."
Then the "Team" singer also says that she doesn't always want to smile but is always expected to do so.
"Every photo shoot I do, I get asked for big smiles, and I shouldn't have to be that way," Lorde adds.
The teenager is sure about the image that she wants to portray to the world. Lorde says that she knows who she is. However, she clarifies that she is not putting herself on the same pedestal as Sylvia Plath. "Never for a second would I put myself beside a genius like Sylvia Plath!" Lorde says.
She further tells the magazine that she may like various genres of music like indie rock, pop and literature. but that does not mean that she is a genius. She believes that Internet has played a huge role in her success.
"There are very few limits on what can be achieved by anyone of any age, living anywhere and of any race, because of the web...I'm proof of that," Lorde says.
Lorde's first EP "The Love Club" was posted on SoundCloud in 2012, and it was a success because of repeated shares over the Internet.
"I think young people have changed the way we view pop culture...we now have this discerning power. We all have Tumblers, we curate imagery every day. We can sniff out b******t faster," she says.
Check out Lorde's pictures from the magazine and her complete interview here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Spoilers: Find Out Whether AshLee Frazier And Graham Bunn Last Till The End; Meet The New Arrivals Of Episode 6
- ‘The Leftovers’: Episode 10 On Hold, Renewed For Season 2, Season 1 Finale Synopsis And Preview [VIDEO]
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying