Lorde Says 'I'm drawn to women who aren't painted in history as sweet figures'
By nidhi tewari | April 4, 2014 2:54 AM EST
Two times Grammy Award winning singer Lorde features on the cover page of Fashion Magazine in a completely new look. The "Royals" singer is dressed in a warrior kind of gold armoured dress. Huge earrings and black nail paint complemented her warrior inspired dress. In the magazine, the singer also opens up about her innermost feelings, revealing why she doesn't want to put up a smile always.
Pop singer Lorde poses backstage with her awards for song of the year for "Royals" and best pop solo performance for "Royals" at the 56th annual Grammy Awards in Los Angeles, California January 26, 2014. REUTERS/Danny Moloshok
"I'm drawn to women who aren't painted in history as sweet figures," the 17-year-old New Zealander singer says to Fashion Magazine, adding that she idolises Patti Smith.
"She [Patti Smith] was frustrated. She didn't take people's s**t. There's no better music idol for young women, because there is a lot of pressure for us to be really positive all the time."
Then the "Team" singer also says that she doesn't always want to smile but is always expected to do so.
"Every photo shoot I do, I get asked for big smiles, and I shouldn't have to be that way," Lorde adds.
The teenager is sure about the image that she wants to portray to the world. Lorde says that she knows who she is. However, she clarifies that she is not putting herself on the same pedestal as Sylvia Plath. "Never for a second would I put myself beside a genius like Sylvia Plath!" Lorde says.
She further tells the magazine that she may like various genres of music like indie rock, pop and literature. but that does not mean that she is a genius. She believes that Internet has played a huge role in her success.
"There are very few limits on what can be achieved by anyone of any age, living anywhere and of any race, because of the web...I'm proof of that," Lorde says.
Lorde's first EP "The Love Club" was posted on SoundCloud in 2012, and it was a success because of repeated shares over the Internet.
"I think young people have changed the way we view pop culture...we now have this discerning power. We all have Tumblers, we curate imagery every day. We can sniff out b******t faster," she says.
Check out Lorde's pictures from the magazine and her complete interview here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates