Lorde Says 'I'm drawn to women who aren't painted in history as sweet figures'
By nidhi tewari | April 4, 2014 2:54 AM EST
Two times Grammy Award winning singer Lorde features on the cover page of Fashion Magazine in a completely new look. The "Royals" singer is dressed in a warrior kind of gold armoured dress. Huge earrings and black nail paint complemented her warrior inspired dress. In the magazine, the singer also opens up about her innermost feelings, revealing why she doesn't want to put up a smile always.
Pop singer Lorde poses backstage with her awards for song of the year for "Royals" and best pop solo performance for "Royals" at the 56th annual Grammy Awards in Los Angeles, California January 26, 2014. REUTERS/Danny Moloshok
"I'm drawn to women who aren't painted in history as sweet figures," the 17-year-old New Zealander singer says to Fashion Magazine, adding that she idolises Patti Smith.
"She [Patti Smith] was frustrated. She didn't take people's s**t. There's no better music idol for young women, because there is a lot of pressure for us to be really positive all the time."
Then the "Team" singer also says that she doesn't always want to smile but is always expected to do so.
"Every photo shoot I do, I get asked for big smiles, and I shouldn't have to be that way," Lorde adds.
The teenager is sure about the image that she wants to portray to the world. Lorde says that she knows who she is. However, she clarifies that she is not putting herself on the same pedestal as Sylvia Plath. "Never for a second would I put myself beside a genius like Sylvia Plath!" Lorde says.
She further tells the magazine that she may like various genres of music like indie rock, pop and literature. but that does not mean that she is a genius. She believes that Internet has played a huge role in her success.
"There are very few limits on what can be achieved by anyone of any age, living anywhere and of any race, because of the web...I'm proof of that," Lorde says.
Lorde's first EP "The Love Club" was posted on SoundCloud in 2012, and it was a success because of repeated shares over the Internet.
"I think young people have changed the way we view pop culture...we now have this discerning power. We all have Tumblers, we curate imagery every day. We can sniff out b******t faster," she says.
Check out Lorde's pictures from the magazine and her complete interview here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'Avengers: Age Of Ultron' Will Feature Nude Scene Confirmed—Report
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 1: ‘The Biggest Action Sequence That We Have Ever Attempted’ [VIDEO]
- 'Terminator' 5 And 'Jurassic World' Trailers To Be Released Soon
- ‘Star Wars’ 7 Plot Leak – New Villain And Stormtroopers New Look [Spoilers]
- 'Doctor Who' Casting News: 'GOT' Actress Rose Leslie Favoured To Play As 'Clara Oswald'
- Robin Williams Goodbye Video Hoax: Facebook Users Warned of Celebrity Suicide Exploitation
- 4 Killer Android Features Apple Fans Would Love to Get Come the iPhone 6 Release Date
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region
- Motorola Moto X+1 On Release Date To Come With Snapdragon 800 Processor, 2 GB RAM, 4K Recording And 5.2-Inch Display