Lorde Says 'I'm drawn to women who aren't painted in history as sweet figures'
By nidhi tewari | April 4, 2014 2:54 AM EST
Two times Grammy Award winning singer Lorde features on the cover page of Fashion Magazine in a completely new look. The "Royals" singer is dressed in a warrior kind of gold armoured dress. Huge earrings and black nail paint complemented her warrior inspired dress. In the magazine, the singer also opens up about her innermost feelings, revealing why she doesn't want to put up a smile always.
Pop singer Lorde poses backstage with her awards for song of the year for "Royals" and best pop solo performance for "Royals" at the 56th annual Grammy Awards in Los Angeles, California January 26, 2014. REUTERS/Danny Moloshok
"I'm drawn to women who aren't painted in history as sweet figures," the 17-year-old New Zealander singer says to Fashion Magazine, adding that she idolises Patti Smith.
"She [Patti Smith] was frustrated. She didn't take people's s**t. There's no better music idol for young women, because there is a lot of pressure for us to be really positive all the time."
Then the "Team" singer also says that she doesn't always want to smile but is always expected to do so.
"Every photo shoot I do, I get asked for big smiles, and I shouldn't have to be that way," Lorde adds.
The teenager is sure about the image that she wants to portray to the world. Lorde says that she knows who she is. However, she clarifies that she is not putting herself on the same pedestal as Sylvia Plath. "Never for a second would I put myself beside a genius like Sylvia Plath!" Lorde says.
She further tells the magazine that she may like various genres of music like indie rock, pop and literature. but that does not mean that she is a genius. She believes that Internet has played a huge role in her success.
"There are very few limits on what can be achieved by anyone of any age, living anywhere and of any race, because of the web...I'm proof of that," Lorde says.
Lorde's first EP "The Love Club" was posted on SoundCloud in 2012, and it was a success because of repeated shares over the Internet.
"I think young people have changed the way we view pop culture...we now have this discerning power. We all have Tumblers, we curate imagery every day. We can sniff out b******t faster," she says.
Check out Lorde's pictures from the magazine and her complete interview here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘Star Wars 7: The Force Awakens’ Leaked Dialogue Of Han Solo From Upcoming Trailer [Spoilers]
- Beyonce’s ‘Ring Off’ Isn’t About Her Alleged Crumbling Marriage to Jay Z, But About Her Parents [VIDEOS]
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced