Lorde Says 'I'm drawn to women who aren't painted in history as sweet figures'
By nidhi tewari | April 4, 2014 2:54 AM EST
Two times Grammy Award winning singer Lorde features on the cover page of Fashion Magazine in a completely new look. The "Royals" singer is dressed in a warrior kind of gold armoured dress. Huge earrings and black nail paint complemented her warrior inspired dress. In the magazine, the singer also opens up about her innermost feelings, revealing why she doesn't want to put up a smile always.
Pop singer Lorde poses backstage with her awards for song of the year for "Royals" and best pop solo performance for "Royals" at the 56th annual Grammy Awards in Los Angeles, California January 26, 2014. REUTERS/Danny Moloshok
"I'm drawn to women who aren't painted in history as sweet figures," the 17-year-old New Zealander singer says to Fashion Magazine, adding that she idolises Patti Smith.
"She [Patti Smith] was frustrated. She didn't take people's s**t. There's no better music idol for young women, because there is a lot of pressure for us to be really positive all the time."
Then the "Team" singer also says that she doesn't always want to smile but is always expected to do so.
"Every photo shoot I do, I get asked for big smiles, and I shouldn't have to be that way," Lorde adds.
The teenager is sure about the image that she wants to portray to the world. Lorde says that she knows who she is. However, she clarifies that she is not putting herself on the same pedestal as Sylvia Plath. "Never for a second would I put myself beside a genius like Sylvia Plath!" Lorde says.
She further tells the magazine that she may like various genres of music like indie rock, pop and literature. but that does not mean that she is a genius. She believes that Internet has played a huge role in her success.
"There are very few limits on what can be achieved by anyone of any age, living anywhere and of any race, because of the web...I'm proof of that," Lorde says.
Lorde's first EP "The Love Club" was posted on SoundCloud in 2012, and it was a success because of repeated shares over the Internet.
"I think young people have changed the way we view pop culture...we now have this discerning power. We all have Tumblers, we curate imagery every day. We can sniff out b******t faster," she says.
Check out Lorde's pictures from the magazine and her complete interview here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation