The Ultimate 2014 NBA Playoffs Race Guide: Spurs Ready to Clinch No. 1 in League, Thunder to Challenge
By James Patrick Quizon | April 4, 2014 1:55 AM EST
The battle at the top of the Western Conference became one-sided after a seething 19-game winning streak by the San Antonio Spurs. The Oklahoma City Thunder, which are still mathematically probable to finish with the best record in the NBA, host the Spurs on Thursday night.
NBA: Dallas Mavericks at San Antonio Spurs
Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and company might get the win and end the Spurs’ franchise-record streak but their team would still be three games back off the defending West champions so it appears San Antonio has this in the bag.
Below are the details for each team in the stretch run of their NBA regular season.
Battle for the West’s Top Spot
1. San Antonio Spurs (59-16)
2. Oklahoma City Thunder (54-19)
Oklahoma City has won 8 of its last 10 games—respectable run but of course, pales in comparison to the Spurs’ streak 19-0 in the last 19 outings and haven’t lost a game
San Antonio Spurs (3 home, 4 away) - @OKC, MEM, @MIN, @DAL, PHX, @HOU, LAL
Oklahoma City Thunder (3 home, 6 away) - SAS, @HOU, @PHX, @SAC, @LAC, NOP, @IND, @NOP, DET
Both these title contenders have more games away from home that in their own court. Still, OKC’s remaining schedule definitely looks tougher—not to mention they have more games to play. There are three scrub teams—gifts at this point of the season—on tap: at Sacramento Kings; versus New Orleans Pelicans twice and the Detroit Pistons plus five against legit playoff contenders.
To clinch the #1 seed in the West and the entire NBA, the Spurs need to get to 64 wins—or 5 wins out of the last 7. With the lowly Los Angeles Lakers and the inconsistent Minnesota Timberwolves still ahead, that magic number is easier to reach.
The Thunder will make its last stand on Thursday. If they lose to the Spurs at home, it’s all but over.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Superfight Won’t Happen Because Floyd Is Scared Of Left-Handed Boxers, Pacman - Bob Arum
- Serena Williams Shows Off Her Bikini Body With Eva Longoria At The Miami Beach After US Open Victory
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone