The Ultimate 2014 NBA Playoffs Race Guide: Spurs Ready to Clinch No. 1 in League, Thunder to Challenge
By James Patrick Quizon | April 4, 2014 1:55 AM EST
The battle at the top of the Western Conference became one-sided after a seething 19-game winning streak by the San Antonio Spurs. The Oklahoma City Thunder, which are still mathematically probable to finish with the best record in the NBA, host the Spurs on Thursday night.
NBA: Dallas Mavericks at San Antonio Spurs
Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and company might get the win and end the Spurs’ franchise-record streak but their team would still be three games back off the defending West champions so it appears San Antonio has this in the bag.
Below are the details for each team in the stretch run of their NBA regular season.
Battle for the West’s Top Spot
1. San Antonio Spurs (59-16)
2. Oklahoma City Thunder (54-19)
Oklahoma City has won 8 of its last 10 games—respectable run but of course, pales in comparison to the Spurs’ streak 19-0 in the last 19 outings and haven’t lost a game
San Antonio Spurs (3 home, 4 away) - @OKC, MEM, @MIN, @DAL, PHX, @HOU, LAL
Oklahoma City Thunder (3 home, 6 away) - SAS, @HOU, @PHX, @SAC, @LAC, NOP, @IND, @NOP, DET
Both these title contenders have more games away from home that in their own court. Still, OKC’s remaining schedule definitely looks tougher—not to mention they have more games to play. There are three scrub teams—gifts at this point of the season—on tap: at Sacramento Kings; versus New Orleans Pelicans twice and the Detroit Pistons plus five against legit playoff contenders.
To clinch the #1 seed in the West and the entire NBA, the Spurs need to get to 64 wins—or 5 wins out of the last 7. With the lowly Los Angeles Lakers and the inconsistent Minnesota Timberwolves still ahead, that magic number is easier to reach.
The Thunder will make its last stand on Thursday. If they lose to the Spurs at home, it’s all but over.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Nuclear War: Putin Certain To Launch Battle To Avoid Corruption Charges, Whistleblower Claims