The Ultimate 2014 NBA Playoffs Race Guide: Spurs Ready to Clinch No. 1 in League, Thunder to Challenge
By James Patrick Quizon | April 4, 2014 1:55 AM EST
The battle at the top of the Western Conference became one-sided after a seething 19-game winning streak by the San Antonio Spurs. The Oklahoma City Thunder, which are still mathematically probable to finish with the best record in the NBA, host the Spurs on Thursday night.
NBA: Dallas Mavericks at San Antonio Spurs
Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and company might get the win and end the Spurs’ franchise-record streak but their team would still be three games back off the defending West champions so it appears San Antonio has this in the bag.
Below are the details for each team in the stretch run of their NBA regular season.
Battle for the West’s Top Spot
1. San Antonio Spurs (59-16)
2. Oklahoma City Thunder (54-19)
Oklahoma City has won 8 of its last 10 games—respectable run but of course, pales in comparison to the Spurs’ streak 19-0 in the last 19 outings and haven’t lost a game
San Antonio Spurs (3 home, 4 away) - @OKC, MEM, @MIN, @DAL, PHX, @HOU, LAL
Oklahoma City Thunder (3 home, 6 away) - SAS, @HOU, @PHX, @SAC, @LAC, NOP, @IND, @NOP, DET
Both these title contenders have more games away from home that in their own court. Still, OKC’s remaining schedule definitely looks tougher—not to mention they have more games to play. There are three scrub teams—gifts at this point of the season—on tap: at Sacramento Kings; versus New Orleans Pelicans twice and the Detroit Pistons plus five against legit playoff contenders.
To clinch the #1 seed in the West and the entire NBA, the Spurs need to get to 64 wins—or 5 wins out of the last 7. With the lowly Los Angeles Lakers and the inconsistent Minnesota Timberwolves still ahead, that magic number is easier to reach.
The Thunder will make its last stand on Thursday. If they lose to the Spurs at home, it’s all but over.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced