Tathra Shark Attack Victim's Body Still Missing; Western Australia Seaboard Littered With Dead Sharks
By Reissa Su | April 4, 2014 12:52 AM EST
The search for the woman's body who was attacked by a shark off the far south coast of New South Wales has been temporarily suspended due to bad weather.
A shark swims in a marine display at an aquarium in Cape Town, South Africa, June 10, 2007. REUTERS/FINBARR O'REILLY
Chris Armstrong was swimming with five other friends off Tathra wharf when she was suddenly dragged by a shark. Dozens of emergency service personnel had been scouring the waters after Armstrong's companions reported the incident.
According to the New South Wales Ambulance Service, the woman's partial remains had been found but police said it has not been confirmed if the remains were related to the shark attack. The beach in Tathra was closed as emergency service personnel searched for her body.
The 63-year-old shark victim and her husband Rob Armstrong were members of the Tathra Surf Life Saving Club and frequently are in the beach.
Dead And Dying Fish Litter Ocean Floor
Western Australia continues to be in the spotlight with its shark cull policy. According to "Sharkgirl" of Byron Bay Madison Stewart, who has been recently commissioned by Sea Shepherd to film the devastation of sharks on the Western seaboard, she has seen graphic images of sharks with hooks sticking out the sides of their heads. They were released alive by fisheries personnel.
Stewart said the dead sharks were being dumped offshore which attract more sharks with the stench of decay.
According to Sea Shepherd, the shark cull policy was implemented without passing through the proper legal processes. The marine activists were also seeking for an injunction to remove the baited drum lines off the coast of Western Australia's popular beaches, pending the judicial review.
Western Australia Premier Colin Barnett welcomed the court's decision and said Sea Shepherd's case is merely based on legal technicalities.
He asserted the shark cull policy was proposed after following a "rigorous process."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet