Tathra Shark Attack Victim's Body Still Missing; Western Australia Seaboard Littered With Dead Sharks
By Reissa Su | April 4, 2014 12:52 AM EST
The search for the woman's body who was attacked by a shark off the far south coast of New South Wales has been temporarily suspended due to bad weather.
A shark swims in a marine display at an aquarium in Cape Town, South Africa, June 10, 2007. REUTERS/FINBARR O'REILLY
Chris Armstrong was swimming with five other friends off Tathra wharf when she was suddenly dragged by a shark. Dozens of emergency service personnel had been scouring the waters after Armstrong's companions reported the incident.
According to the New South Wales Ambulance Service, the woman's partial remains had been found but police said it has not been confirmed if the remains were related to the shark attack. The beach in Tathra was closed as emergency service personnel searched for her body.
The 63-year-old shark victim and her husband Rob Armstrong were members of the Tathra Surf Life Saving Club and frequently are in the beach.
Dead And Dying Fish Litter Ocean Floor
Western Australia continues to be in the spotlight with its shark cull policy. According to "Sharkgirl" of Byron Bay Madison Stewart, who has been recently commissioned by Sea Shepherd to film the devastation of sharks on the Western seaboard, she has seen graphic images of sharks with hooks sticking out the sides of their heads. They were released alive by fisheries personnel.
Stewart said the dead sharks were being dumped offshore which attract more sharks with the stench of decay.
According to Sea Shepherd, the shark cull policy was implemented without passing through the proper legal processes. The marine activists were also seeking for an injunction to remove the baited drum lines off the coast of Western Australia's popular beaches, pending the judicial review.
Western Australia Premier Colin Barnett welcomed the court's decision and said Sea Shepherd's case is merely based on legal technicalities.
He asserted the shark cull policy was proposed after following a "rigorous process."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Immediate Deaths After Ice Bucket Challenge Are Hoaxes Gone Viral: Neck Injury And Hypothermia Killed Two People Performing The Stunt
- Risky Selfies That Were Taken A Few Seconds Before Tragedy Struck
- ISIS Update: Executioner of James Foley with British Accent Identified as ‘John’
- Viral Video Missouri Mall: Back-To-School Promo Of East Hills Mall In Missouri Goes Viral As Terrible Mall Ad [WATCH VIDEO]
- ISIS Beheading US Journalist James Foley Sparks Outrage, Netizens Demand 'All-Out War'
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6