Tathra Shark Attack Victim's Body Still Missing; Western Australia Seaboard Littered With Dead Sharks
By Reissa Su | April 4, 2014 12:52 AM EST
The search for the woman's body who was attacked by a shark off the far south coast of New South Wales has been temporarily suspended due to bad weather.
A shark swims in a marine display at an aquarium in Cape Town, South Africa, June 10, 2007. REUTERS/FINBARR O'REILLY
Chris Armstrong was swimming with five other friends off Tathra wharf when she was suddenly dragged by a shark. Dozens of emergency service personnel had been scouring the waters after Armstrong's companions reported the incident.
According to the New South Wales Ambulance Service, the woman's partial remains had been found but police said it has not been confirmed if the remains were related to the shark attack. The beach in Tathra was closed as emergency service personnel searched for her body.
The 63-year-old shark victim and her husband Rob Armstrong were members of the Tathra Surf Life Saving Club and frequently are in the beach.
Dead And Dying Fish Litter Ocean Floor
Western Australia continues to be in the spotlight with its shark cull policy. According to "Sharkgirl" of Byron Bay Madison Stewart, who has been recently commissioned by Sea Shepherd to film the devastation of sharks on the Western seaboard, she has seen graphic images of sharks with hooks sticking out the sides of their heads. They were released alive by fisheries personnel.
Stewart said the dead sharks were being dumped offshore which attract more sharks with the stench of decay.
According to Sea Shepherd, the shark cull policy was implemented without passing through the proper legal processes. The marine activists were also seeking for an injunction to remove the baited drum lines off the coast of Western Australia's popular beaches, pending the judicial review.
Western Australia Premier Colin Barnett welcomed the court's decision and said Sea Shepherd's case is merely based on legal technicalities.
He asserted the shark cull policy was proposed after following a "rigorous process."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- UFO Falling 'Angel Hair' Strands Spotted By Portugal Residents [VIDEO]
- US Police Release Video Of Officers Shooting 12-Year-Old Tamir Rice
- US Toddler, 3, Shoots Mother To Death With 9mm Handgun
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Has 'Uncanny Ability,' Described As 'Posh' During Public Appearances
- NSW Girl, 12, Takes Wheel of Mazda MX5 & Saves Lives After Father Suffers Heart Attack
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast