Nexus 6 Release Date: Apple iPhone 6 Could be Google Smartphone's Main Rival
By Raymond Ronamai | April 4, 2014 12:06 AM EST
Google's upcoming flagship smartphone Nexus 6 may have to fight it out with Apple's much-anticipated iPhone 6 in the market as both devices are expected to be unveiled around the same time.
Screenshot from Google website
The release date of Nexus 6 has not been revealed yet but several reports claim that the flagship smartphone would be released in the last quarter of 2014. Google's VP Sundar Pichai had also hinted at the Mobile World Congress that the device would see the light of the day in October, contradicting earlier reports that it would be released after Google's I/O Developers Conference on 24 June or early July.
Coincidentally, Apple's much-hyped new flagship smartphone iPhone 6 is also expected to be unveiled around September, though there has been another speculation that it would arrive at the upcoming WWDC event in June. Also, Nikkei has reported that suppliers of LCD panels for the flagship smartphone will start production soon and the device would be launched in around September.
Meanwhile, UBS Managing Director Steve Milunovich said in a research note (via Barron's) that Apple is planning two iPhone 6 variants - 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch models - and only one of them will be released in August or September, adding that the bigger variant of the device would hit the stores only next year.
The release dates of the upcoming flaghsip smartphones from Google and Apple have not been announced but they may fight it out in the smartphone market, if the latest reports are any indication.
Nexus 6 is expected to sport a 5.2-inch full HD curved LCD display, protected by Corning Gorilla Glass with either 13MP or 16MP main camera and have connectivity options like Bluetooth, NFC, Micro-USB, Wi-Fi and 4G. It is expected to be powered by the 64-bit version of its Snapdragon 800-series chipset, with 3GB RAM and run on Android OS (4.5), dubbed as Lollypop.
On the other hand, iPhone is expected to have a scratch-free sapphire crystal glass screen and come in two variants - a 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch models. The device will be powered by the A8 chip (64-bit) and run on iOS 7.2, according to South Korean brokerage KDB Daewoo Securities.
Photo: Screenshot from official Google Nexus website. (Edited by Vishnuprasad S Pillai)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced