Miley Cyrus Criticism By Radio 1 Presenter Gets Her Death and Sexual Threats
By nidhi tewari | April 3, 2014 8:29 PM EST
You will either love Miley Cyrus or hate her. However, Miley Cyrus fans do not accept an emotion, which is not extreme. They can go to any length to defend their idol. BBC Radio 1 chart show presenter, Jameela Jamil, has received "terrifying" death and sexual threats after she discussed on her show that whether the 21-year-old singer's antics were contributing to the objectification of women's bodies.
Singer Miley Cyrus performs on NBC's 'Today' show in New York, October 7, 2013.
Smilers - fans of Miley Cyrus did not like the apparent criticism of Miley. They responded with nasty comments, directed at the talk show hostess after she said that Miley uses sexuality to get media attention.
"I have had quite a lot of those death threats, really scary sexual threats, all because I might have touched on Miley Cyrus and her overt use of her sexuality and her vagina to give her more of a platform in the media," Jamil said at a conference in London, BBC reports.
"I debated whether it was the right way to go necessarily for the progression of woman and it was just terrifying, the onslaught that you receive," Jamil added.
Jamil, who is a popular hostess on Radio 1, believes that media should actually put in an effort to support other women, rather than humiliating them by posting their unflattering pictures. Jamil also wants women to stop tagetting other women, as she believes that they should actually work towards empowering other women. In her interview, the radio host said that most women pop stars feel proud of the fact that they are liberating themselves by exposing their bodies. However in reality, they fail to understand that this only leads to women becoming objectified.
"Women, especially a lot of pop stars, tend to treat it as if they are using it to empower themselves, taking ownership [of their bodies], taking the taboo out of it, when in fact what they are doing is perpetuating something created by men," Jamil said.
The radio presenter feels that the women's bodies have been used as a "spectacle and objectified." It is a shame, according to her. because women like Miley Cyrus, who has a huge fan following, actually has a platform to make a difference and to shape a generation's minds. But what Miley does is just the opposite. She portrays women as object of desire and not someone who should be respected, Jamil told BBC.
Do you think Miley Cyrus' acts are promoting sexual objectification of women?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine