Lok Sabha Election 2014: Vajpayee Sends Best Wishes to Rajnath Singh
By Rama Mohan | April 3, 2014 8:03 PM EST
Former prime minister and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) patriarch Atal Bihari Vajpayee has turned the attention of the nation towards him, after a long time, by sending his best wishes to the party president Rajnath Singh.
The Prime Minister and leader of Bharatiya Janata Party, Atal Bihari Vajpayee (L), and Bal Thackeray (R) wave to the crowd during an election campaign rally in Mumbai on 23 April, 2004. (A file picture)
The former PM has been in seclusion and away from active politics for quite some years.
On 2 April 2014, Vajpayee extended his best wishes to Singh, who is contesting this year's April-May Lok Sabha election from Lucknow constituency, which Vajpayee earlier represented. Vajpayee is a nine-time MP and served as Lucknow MP until 2009, but retired in the same year due to health issues.
In 1980, Vajpayee restarted the Jana Sangh as Bharatiya Janata Party, when the Janata Party government collapsed.
Vajpayee suffered a stroke in 2009, which made him speechless and bound to wheel-chair. Since then he has been leading a secluded life with occasional visitors like LK Advani and Manmohan Singh, among others, at his Krishna Menon Marg residence in Delhi.
Now BJP's prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi is being projected by the party to continue Vajpayee initiated development programmes. During the tenure of Vajpayee, who served as PM between 1999 and 2004, popular welfare development schemes like "Pradhan Manthri Gram Sadak Yojna" were launched. The rural road development scheme links villages with towns and cities.
Now, with the recent developments in BJP, sans Vajpayee, there is a feeling in the party's senior leaders that they have been sidelined. Modi is said to be calling the shots in the party affairs. It is said that Vajpayee wanted to remove Modi as the Gujarat Chief Minister after the Godhra train massacre in 2002. The Godhra incident and aftermath communal clashes have claimed more than 1000 lives.
Vajpayee's close associate, Shiv Kumar will reach Lucknow and extend Vajpayee's best wishes formally to Rajnath by handing him over an "Angavastram" (stole) on Thursday, 3 April. Kumar will also hold a press conference in Lucknow along with the area's sitting MP Lalji Tandon.
According to a press release, Rajnath Singh will file his nomination from the Lucknow constituency by wearing the Angavastram on Thursday.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Kiwi Couple Sues Lawyers for Denial of Holiday Perk in Luxury Resort
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports