Sam Worthington Tried To Pull Celebrity Card During Assault Arrest
By Anne Lu | April 3, 2014 7:36 PM EST
Sam Worthington tried to use his celebrity card when he was arrested for allegedly attacking a photographer. The Australian actor was arrested in February, claiming he was defending “wife” Lara Bingle from a persistent paparazzo.
Cast member Sam Worthington and his girlfriend Lara Bingle pose at the premiere of \"Sabotage\" in Los Angeles, California March 19, 2014. The movie opens in the U.S. on March 28. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni
Both the “Avatar” star and the photographer, Sheng Li, were arrested in February in New York after a scuffle. Apparently, Li was aggressively pursuing Bingle for a long time before he allegedly blocked her path and kicked her in the shin.
Worthington retaliated by punching Li in the face, which resulted in both their arrest.
The 37-year-old actor was charged with two counts of assault in the third degree, attempted assault, and harassment. He also received a restraining order, ordering him to stay away from Li for six months.
Li was also charged with assault, reckless endangerment, and harassment.
On Tuesday, Li’s lawyer, Mark Heller, told the court that Worthington not only assaulted his client, but also tried to rob him by grabbing his camera.
Heller also painted a not-so-humble picture of Worthington, saying that the actor tried to play his celebrity card by asking the arresting officer, “Have you seen the movie ‘Avatar?’”
As TMZ noted, it doesn’t matter if Worthington really did ask that if Li truly assault him, but the lawyer knew that a celebrity pulling the celebrity card would always raise eyebrows.
And perhaps that’s what they were trying to do.
After all, when Reese Witherspoon did a similar stunt in 2013 and arrogantly asked the officer arresting her husband for DUI if he knew her name, indicating that he should know her because she was famous, it didn’t bode well for her in the eyes of public court.
Meanwhile, Worthington is scheduled to appear in court again on May 8. Bingle, whom he referred to as his “wife” during the scuffle, wasn’t arrested or charged.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Kit Harington Denies Romance With Co-stars Rose Leslie And Emilia Clarke
- 'The Big Bang Theory' Season 8 Episode 7 Spoilers: Penny Takes Off Her Ring In The Misinterpretation Agitation [VIDEO]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family