Sam Worthington Tried To Pull Celebrity Card During Assault Arrest
By Anne Lu | April 3, 2014 7:36 PM EST
Sam Worthington tried to use his celebrity card when he was arrested for allegedly attacking a photographer. The Australian actor was arrested in February, claiming he was defending “wife” Lara Bingle from a persistent paparazzo.
Cast member Sam Worthington and his girlfriend Lara Bingle pose at the premiere of \"Sabotage\" in Los Angeles, California March 19, 2014. The movie opens in the U.S. on March 28. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni
Both the “Avatar” star and the photographer, Sheng Li, were arrested in February in New York after a scuffle. Apparently, Li was aggressively pursuing Bingle for a long time before he allegedly blocked her path and kicked her in the shin.
Worthington retaliated by punching Li in the face, which resulted in both their arrest.
The 37-year-old actor was charged with two counts of assault in the third degree, attempted assault, and harassment. He also received a restraining order, ordering him to stay away from Li for six months.
Li was also charged with assault, reckless endangerment, and harassment.
On Tuesday, Li’s lawyer, Mark Heller, told the court that Worthington not only assaulted his client, but also tried to rob him by grabbing his camera.
Heller also painted a not-so-humble picture of Worthington, saying that the actor tried to play his celebrity card by asking the arresting officer, “Have you seen the movie ‘Avatar?’”
As TMZ noted, it doesn’t matter if Worthington really did ask that if Li truly assault him, but the lawyer knew that a celebrity pulling the celebrity card would always raise eyebrows.
And perhaps that’s what they were trying to do.
After all, when Reese Witherspoon did a similar stunt in 2013 and arrogantly asked the officer arresting her husband for DUI if he knew her name, indicating that he should know her because she was famous, it didn’t bode well for her in the eyes of public court.
Meanwhile, Worthington is scheduled to appear in court again on May 8. Bingle, whom he referred to as his “wife” during the scuffle, wasn’t arrested or charged.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- 'Fast & Furious 7' Plot Update: Ludacris Reveals Paul Walker's Old Photo, Vin Diesel Shares A Photo Of Himself In Car
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Severe iPhone 6 Supply Shortage Will Last Until Q1 2015 as Apple Grapples to Meet Heavy Demand