Sam Worthington Tried To Pull Celebrity Card During Assault Arrest
By Anne Lu | April 3, 2014 7:36 PM EST
Sam Worthington tried to use his celebrity card when he was arrested for allegedly attacking a photographer. The Australian actor was arrested in February, claiming he was defending “wife” Lara Bingle from a persistent paparazzo.
Cast member Sam Worthington and his girlfriend Lara Bingle pose at the premiere of \"Sabotage\" in Los Angeles, California March 19, 2014. The movie opens in the U.S. on March 28. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni
Both the “Avatar” star and the photographer, Sheng Li, were arrested in February in New York after a scuffle. Apparently, Li was aggressively pursuing Bingle for a long time before he allegedly blocked her path and kicked her in the shin.
Worthington retaliated by punching Li in the face, which resulted in both their arrest.
The 37-year-old actor was charged with two counts of assault in the third degree, attempted assault, and harassment. He also received a restraining order, ordering him to stay away from Li for six months.
Li was also charged with assault, reckless endangerment, and harassment.
On Tuesday, Li’s lawyer, Mark Heller, told the court that Worthington not only assaulted his client, but also tried to rob him by grabbing his camera.
Heller also painted a not-so-humble picture of Worthington, saying that the actor tried to play his celebrity card by asking the arresting officer, “Have you seen the movie ‘Avatar?’”
As TMZ noted, it doesn’t matter if Worthington really did ask that if Li truly assault him, but the lawyer knew that a celebrity pulling the celebrity card would always raise eyebrows.
And perhaps that’s what they were trying to do.
After all, when Reese Witherspoon did a similar stunt in 2013 and arrogantly asked the officer arresting her husband for DUI if he knew her name, indicating that he should know her because she was famous, it didn’t bode well for her in the eyes of public court.
Meanwhile, Worthington is scheduled to appear in court again on May 8. Bingle, whom he referred to as his “wife” during the scuffle, wasn’t arrested or charged.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron' Teaser Trailer: Fans' Cry At ‘Epic’ Footage, Vision Not Featured
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports