Why Zebras Have Stripes? Scientists Solve the Mystery
By Parismita Goswami | April 3, 2014 6:49 PM EST
Scientists have recently solved the mystery of why zebras have stripes. The mystery over the zebra stripes have been studied over centuries and various theories were proposed that the strips provide camouflage, confuse predators, repel insects or help in social interaction.
Scientists Solve the Mystery over Zebras Having Stripes
But for the first ever time, scientists have solved the mystery of why zebras have stripes. The study was conducted by a team of researchers from the University of California, who noted the habitats of the zebras and their stripes. The scientists then compared the geographic locations of the animal with different variables and found that the stripes were associated with number of biting flies in the region.
"I was amazed by our results. Again and again, there was greater striping on areas of the body in those parts of the world where there was more annoyance from biting flies," Tim Caro, the lead author of the study and a UC Davis professor of wildlife biology said in a statement.
"We found again and again and again [that] the only factor which is highly associated with striping is to ban biting flies. I was delighted to see the results were so strong in one direction.
"No one knew why zebras have such striking coloration. But solving evolutionary conundrums increases our knowledge of the natural world and may spark greater commitment to conserving it," he added. "We really need to know what happens with live zebra in the field before we can be sure."
"Deterring flies is the best supported hypothesis to date, most of the other hypotheses aren't well studied, and there is still a lack of direct evidence," National Geographic quoted Brenda Larison, a biologist at the University of California, Los Angeles as saying.
Scientists have not actually monitored zebras in the wild to find if flies avoid biting them as it is difficult to stay that close to the animals.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet