India Open 2014: Saina Cruises Ahead as Sindhu Loses in First Round
By Shruthi SU | April 3, 2014 6:41 PM EST
India's top seed Saina Nehwal eased past Australia's Simone Prutsch 21-7, 21-9 in the first round of the India Open Super Series badminton championship, while India's PV Sindhu couldn't overcome second seeded Wang Shixian losing 15-21, 21-12, 10-21.
Sindhu had beaten the Chinese thrice before including the recently concluded Swiss Open quarterfinals. Having lost the first game, Sindhu bounced back in the second, but the former world no. 1's experience proved too overwhelming for the 18 year old as she lost the match.
"I lost points that I should have won," Sindhu said after the match talking of her errors.
Shixian, however, knew she had done something right to add one win against Sindhu in the four matches they have played against eachother. But, after the match, all she managed to say was, "No pressure."
Moving ahead, eight seed Saina will face Thailand's Natcha Saengchot in the second round of the $250,000 event.
In men's singles, the world no. 6 now dropped to 24 - Parupalli Kashyap did well enough to oust sixth seed Wang Zhengming 21-12, 17-21, 21-12.
"Just so happy to be able to beat him," Kashyap said after the win. "I lost to him twice before and he is a kind of player who reads me well. He anticipates my strokes. Today I was anticipating his stokes better."
"The good thing is that today my level never dropped. I lost the second game, but I did not lose my confidence. He is not among the fittest of Chinese players, but he is good with his strokes and movements on court."
Kashyap will face Guru Sai Dutt, who beat Taipei's Chou Tien Chen 17-21, 21-16, 21-17, in the next round. In other news from the Indian box, K Srikanth lost 18-21, 18-21 to Takuma Ueda of Japan.
In women's doubles, India's Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa beat the Thai duo of Chayanit and Munkitamorn 21-19, 17-21, 21-14. They will face top-seeded Yunlei Zhao and Nan Zhang in the next challenge.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage