India Open 2014: Saina Cruises Ahead as Sindhu Loses in First Round
By Shruthi SU | April 3, 2014 6:41 PM EST
India's top seed Saina Nehwal eased past Australia's Simone Prutsch 21-7, 21-9 in the first round of the India Open Super Series badminton championship, while India's PV Sindhu couldn't overcome second seeded Wang Shixian losing 15-21, 21-12, 10-21.
Sindhu had beaten the Chinese thrice before including the recently concluded Swiss Open quarterfinals. Having lost the first game, Sindhu bounced back in the second, but the former world no. 1's experience proved too overwhelming for the 18 year old as she lost the match.
"I lost points that I should have won," Sindhu said after the match talking of her errors.
Shixian, however, knew she had done something right to add one win against Sindhu in the four matches they have played against eachother. But, after the match, all she managed to say was, "No pressure."
Moving ahead, eight seed Saina will face Thailand's Natcha Saengchot in the second round of the $250,000 event.
In men's singles, the world no. 6 now dropped to 24 - Parupalli Kashyap did well enough to oust sixth seed Wang Zhengming 21-12, 17-21, 21-12.
"Just so happy to be able to beat him," Kashyap said after the win. "I lost to him twice before and he is a kind of player who reads me well. He anticipates my strokes. Today I was anticipating his stokes better."
"The good thing is that today my level never dropped. I lost the second game, but I did not lose my confidence. He is not among the fittest of Chinese players, but he is good with his strokes and movements on court."
Kashyap will face Guru Sai Dutt, who beat Taipei's Chou Tien Chen 17-21, 21-16, 21-17, in the next round. In other news from the Indian box, K Srikanth lost 18-21, 18-21 to Takuma Ueda of Japan.
In women's doubles, India's Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa beat the Thai duo of Chayanit and Munkitamorn 21-19, 17-21, 21-14. They will face top-seeded Yunlei Zhao and Nan Zhang in the next challenge.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- Julie Bishop Condemns Barack Obama For Overlooking Australia’s Commitment in Protecting Great Barrier Reef