‘How I Met Your Mother’ Finale: Fans Unhappy with Ending; Petition to Change it
By Keerthi Mohan | April 3, 2014 6:29 PM EST
Soon after “How I Met Your Mother” finale was aired on Monday, a section of fans took to social networking sites to voice out their disappointment as they felt cheated by the ending.
A number of fans felt that the title of the series was misleading and a more appropriate one would have been “How I Met Your Stepmother.” They also pointed out that creators of the show, Carter Bays and Craig Thomas, had earlier dismissed the possibility of Ted and Robin getting back together in a bid to mislead the audience.
And now, a petition has been put up on Change.org calling for CBS to re-shoot the ending, and it has already garnered more than 6,000 supporters.
“Years of my life and emotion have been dedicated to this show. Robin and Ted proved that they can't work out, not once, but TWICE! We were waiting, along with Ted, to find his TRUE love,” a petitioner wrote on Change.org.
“...Which he did, then you killed her. For him to go crawling back to Robin, FOR A THIRD TIME!”
The finale of the series saw Robin and Barney’s marriage suffering due to her travel-heavy work schedule, and in the end the couple decided to get a divorce. Ted, too, is shown going through a personal tragedy as his wife falls ill and dies, paving the way for Robin and Ted to come together.
“You made us sit down and listen to the story about how you met Mom, yet Mom is hardly in the story,” Penny, Ted’s daughter, said after he finished telling the story of how he met their mother. “No — this is the story about how you’re totally in love with Aunt Robin. And you’re thinking about asking her out and you want to know if we’re okay with it.”
The finale was shot nine years ago during the first season, and the creators said that Ted ending up with Robin was always the ending they had envisioned
“They had actually planned the ending during our pilot,” Cobie Smulders, who played Robin, said on March 31 on The Late Show With David Letterman. “They shot some scenes with the two children, who are now in their mid-20s. It’s kind of amazing that it’s been nine years, and it’s come full circle.”
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Spoilers: Find Out Whether AshLee Frazier And Graham Bunn Last Till The End; Meet The New Arrivals Of Episode 6
- ‘The Leftovers’: Episode 10 On Hold, Renewed For Season 2, Season 1 Finale Synopsis And Preview [VIDEO]
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase