‘How I Met Your Mother’ Finale: Fans Unhappy with Ending; Petition to Change it
By Keerthi Mohan | April 3, 2014 6:29 PM EST
Soon after “How I Met Your Mother” finale was aired on Monday, a section of fans took to social networking sites to voice out their disappointment as they felt cheated by the ending.
A number of fans felt that the title of the series was misleading and a more appropriate one would have been “How I Met Your Stepmother.” They also pointed out that creators of the show, Carter Bays and Craig Thomas, had earlier dismissed the possibility of Ted and Robin getting back together in a bid to mislead the audience.
And now, a petition has been put up on Change.org calling for CBS to re-shoot the ending, and it has already garnered more than 6,000 supporters.
“Years of my life and emotion have been dedicated to this show. Robin and Ted proved that they can't work out, not once, but TWICE! We were waiting, along with Ted, to find his TRUE love,” a petitioner wrote on Change.org.
“...Which he did, then you killed her. For him to go crawling back to Robin, FOR A THIRD TIME!”
The finale of the series saw Robin and Barney’s marriage suffering due to her travel-heavy work schedule, and in the end the couple decided to get a divorce. Ted, too, is shown going through a personal tragedy as his wife falls ill and dies, paving the way for Robin and Ted to come together.
“You made us sit down and listen to the story about how you met Mom, yet Mom is hardly in the story,” Penny, Ted’s daughter, said after he finished telling the story of how he met their mother. “No — this is the story about how you’re totally in love with Aunt Robin. And you’re thinking about asking her out and you want to know if we’re okay with it.”
The finale was shot nine years ago during the first season, and the creators said that Ted ending up with Robin was always the ending they had envisioned
“They had actually planned the ending during our pilot,” Cobie Smulders, who played Robin, said on March 31 on The Late Show With David Letterman. “They shot some scenes with the two children, who are now in their mid-20s. It’s kind of amazing that it’s been nine years, and it’s come full circle.”
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around