‘How I Met Your Mother’ Finale: Fans Unhappy with Ending; Petition to Change it
By Keerthi Mohan | April 3, 2014 6:29 PM EST
Soon after “How I Met Your Mother” finale was aired on Monday, a section of fans took to social networking sites to voice out their disappointment as they felt cheated by the ending.
A number of fans felt that the title of the series was misleading and a more appropriate one would have been “How I Met Your Stepmother.” They also pointed out that creators of the show, Carter Bays and Craig Thomas, had earlier dismissed the possibility of Ted and Robin getting back together in a bid to mislead the audience.
And now, a petition has been put up on Change.org calling for CBS to re-shoot the ending, and it has already garnered more than 6,000 supporters.
“Years of my life and emotion have been dedicated to this show. Robin and Ted proved that they can't work out, not once, but TWICE! We were waiting, along with Ted, to find his TRUE love,” a petitioner wrote on Change.org.
“...Which he did, then you killed her. For him to go crawling back to Robin, FOR A THIRD TIME!”
The finale of the series saw Robin and Barney’s marriage suffering due to her travel-heavy work schedule, and in the end the couple decided to get a divorce. Ted, too, is shown going through a personal tragedy as his wife falls ill and dies, paving the way for Robin and Ted to come together.
“You made us sit down and listen to the story about how you met Mom, yet Mom is hardly in the story,” Penny, Ted’s daughter, said after he finished telling the story of how he met their mother. “No — this is the story about how you’re totally in love with Aunt Robin. And you’re thinking about asking her out and you want to know if we’re okay with it.”
The finale was shot nine years ago during the first season, and the creators said that Ted ending up with Robin was always the ending they had envisioned
“They had actually planned the ending during our pilot,” Cobie Smulders, who played Robin, said on March 31 on The Late Show With David Letterman. “They shot some scenes with the two children, who are now in their mid-20s. It’s kind of amazing that it’s been nine years, and it’s come full circle.”
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
Join the Conversation
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic's Kate Beckett, NYPD To Discover The Real Rick Castle
- 'Under The Dome' Season 2 Finale Spoilers: An Exit Route Appears But Not Everyone Gets Out Alive, 'Under The Dome' Season 3 Update [VIDEO]
- Bruce Jenner Sex Change Reports Resurface As He Shaves His Leg, Behaves Feminine Inside A Coffee Shop
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?