‘How I Met Your Mother’ Finale: Fans Unhappy with Ending; Petition to Change it
By Keerthi Mohan | April 3, 2014 6:29 PM EST
Soon after “How I Met Your Mother” finale was aired on Monday, a section of fans took to social networking sites to voice out their disappointment as they felt cheated by the ending.
A number of fans felt that the title of the series was misleading and a more appropriate one would have been “How I Met Your Stepmother.” They also pointed out that creators of the show, Carter Bays and Craig Thomas, had earlier dismissed the possibility of Ted and Robin getting back together in a bid to mislead the audience.
And now, a petition has been put up on Change.org calling for CBS to re-shoot the ending, and it has already garnered more than 6,000 supporters.
“Years of my life and emotion have been dedicated to this show. Robin and Ted proved that they can't work out, not once, but TWICE! We were waiting, along with Ted, to find his TRUE love,” a petitioner wrote on Change.org.
“...Which he did, then you killed her. For him to go crawling back to Robin, FOR A THIRD TIME!”
The finale of the series saw Robin and Barney’s marriage suffering due to her travel-heavy work schedule, and in the end the couple decided to get a divorce. Ted, too, is shown going through a personal tragedy as his wife falls ill and dies, paving the way for Robin and Ted to come together.
“You made us sit down and listen to the story about how you met Mom, yet Mom is hardly in the story,” Penny, Ted’s daughter, said after he finished telling the story of how he met their mother. “No — this is the story about how you’re totally in love with Aunt Robin. And you’re thinking about asking her out and you want to know if we’re okay with it.”
The finale was shot nine years ago during the first season, and the creators said that Ted ending up with Robin was always the ending they had envisioned
“They had actually planned the ending during our pilot,” Cobie Smulders, who played Robin, said on March 31 on The Late Show With David Letterman. “They shot some scenes with the two children, who are now in their mid-20s. It’s kind of amazing that it’s been nine years, and it’s come full circle.”
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’: Blake And Louise Tell The True Story
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Oct. 20-24 Spoilers: An ‘Unexpected Visitor’ Changes Everything For Sami Plus Updates On Salemites
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Oct. 20-24, 2014, Plus Additional Spoilers For Oct. 27, 2014: Nina Makes Public Rosalie’s Secret
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored