New Stability Software Released to Fix Bugs in Sony Xperia SP
By Rohit KVN | April 3, 2014 6:14 PM EST
The stability software update to fix some bugs in the Sony Xperia SP smartphone has finally been released.
A man walks past a Sony logo in front of an electronic shop in Tokyo.
Motorola Moto G vs. HTC Desire 310 vs. Lenovo A526 vs. Sony Xperia E1 Dual: Specification Comparison
HTC One M8 to Hit Stores in Singapore on 5 April; Rest of Asian Markets Tipped for Early May Release
The news comes as a bit of welcome surprise to Xperia SP fans, as last week, French network carrier, SFR (Société française de radiotéléphone) had released a statement that the smartphone maker, Sony found some anomalies in the FOTA (Firmware-Over-The-Air) stability update (build version: 12.1.A1.192) and would require little bit more time to rectify the code and hence the roll-out process had been postponed to 21 April.
Now, the company having rectified the glitch in the update (build number: 12.1.A.1.201) has been made available via OTA (Over-The-Air) as well as with manual download options (from computer to smartphone via PC suite). This is the second update released after the Android v4.3 Jelly Bean got rolled out in February this year.
To check for updates on the device:
Settings > About phone > Build number / version
The new firmware will bring in enhanced user-experience, improved battery life and software performance improvements.
In late 2013, Sony had announced that the company is evaluating its options to release the latest Android v4.4.2 KitKat to Xperia SP. Four months later, the support page of Xperia SP still carries the tag 'under investigation'.
Some reports (courtesy Xperia Blog) from France are also suggesting that Sony's 2013 mid-range may not receive the new software, but we can't be sure until Sony confirms the news.
As of now, Sony has released the chocolate-wafer flavored Android OS version only to a handful of high-end devices- Xperia Z1, Z1 Compact and the phablet Z Ultra and the company has promised to push new updates to Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia Tablet Z - and Xperia ZR - from mid-Q2 and later to recently the launched - Xperia T2 Ultra, Xperia E2 and M2 series handsets.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks