2014 Lyrids Meteor Shower: Sky Display Set to Peak on April 22
By Jenalyn Villamarin | April 3, 2014 6:06 PM EST
April 2014 will be offering viewers a remarkable sky display starting with the lunar eclipse on April 15. Then, the 2014 Lyrids meteor shower will appear next starting on Wednesday, April 16, until April 25.
According to the Epoch Times, the 2014 Lyrids meteor shower display is set to peak on Tuesday evening, April 22 until the morning of April 23 with the rate estimated to be 15 to 20 meteors visible per hour. Jane Houston Jones of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) declared in a blog post that the Lyrids are known to producing bright meteors where several have persistent trains.
Ms Houston assured the interested sky gazers that they cannot miss the beautiful river of stars near Lyra-a spiral arm of our Milky Way galaxy if they are under the dark sky. Dr Tony Phillips of NASA explained as well in a different blog post that the flakes of comet dust, which are not bigger in size to the grains of sand, strike the Earth's atmosphere at 110,000 miles per hour before disintegrating as fast streaks of light.
According to Dr Phillips, the typical Lyrid shower can produce 10 to 20 meteors per hour over the northern hemisphere. "Not an intense display. Occasionally, however, Earth passes through a dense region of the comet's tail and rates increase five- to ten-fold," Dr Phillips stated in the Epoch Times report. The expert further revealed that observers reported 90 Lyrids per hour in 1980 and there is a possibility on the number of Lyrids spotted happening again at any time since the outbursts are unpredictable.
The Space Reporter claims the Earth's movement through the trail of debris that Comet Thatcher left will instigate the 2014 Lyrids meteor shower in the early morning of April 22. For the 2014 Lyrids meteor shower, favorable weather conditions are estimated during the sky display peak.
Additionally, the Space.com report assures that the night sky display may be visible even without the use of binoculars or telescopes. The radiant located near the brilliant bluish-white star Vega will be rising in the northeast direction approximately at the time evening twilight ends.
Viewing will perk up until the light from the last-quarter Moon starts to get in the way just after 2 am local time of the viewer's location. The report further noted that a single observer will be able to observe 10 to 15 members of the Lyrids meteor shower in one hour under the best conditions and the Lyrids hang about a quarter of their peak number for approximately two days.
More Articles to Read:
Viral Video Action Movie Kid: DreamWorks Animator Dad Make Son's Superhuman Imagination Real in Shared YouTube Family Videos [WATCH] - [READ]
2014 Asteroid Eclipse: Huge Asteroid 163 Erigone Eclipses Bright Star Regulus on March 19 and 20, How to Best View - [READ]
2014 Comet Jacques: SONEAR Team in Brazil Spots New Comet C/2014 E2, Closest Approach to the Sun to Occur on June 29 - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Fate of MH370, MH17 Trigger Mass Resignation of Crew in Malaysia Airlines
- ISIS $3 Million Daily Oil Revenues Fund Operations; Obama to Build International Coalition to Widen Assault
- James Foley's Family and Boss Reject Syrian Claim of Foley Killed A Year Ago
- British Cleric Accused of Urging James Foley Executioner; Predicted ISIS Will Fight in the West
- Amish Girls Abducted, Handcuffed And Used As Sex Slaves
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown