2014 Lyrids Meteor Shower: Sky Display Set to Peak on April 22
By Jenalyn Villamarin | April 3, 2014 6:06 PM EST
April 2014 will be offering viewers a remarkable sky display starting with the lunar eclipse on April 15. Then, the 2014 Lyrids meteor shower will appear next starting on Wednesday, April 16, until April 25.
According to the Epoch Times, the 2014 Lyrids meteor shower display is set to peak on Tuesday evening, April 22 until the morning of April 23 with the rate estimated to be 15 to 20 meteors visible per hour. Jane Houston Jones of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) declared in a blog post that the Lyrids are known to producing bright meteors where several have persistent trains.
Ms Houston assured the interested sky gazers that they cannot miss the beautiful river of stars near Lyra-a spiral arm of our Milky Way galaxy if they are under the dark sky. Dr Tony Phillips of NASA explained as well in a different blog post that the flakes of comet dust, which are not bigger in size to the grains of sand, strike the Earth's atmosphere at 110,000 miles per hour before disintegrating as fast streaks of light.
According to Dr Phillips, the typical Lyrid shower can produce 10 to 20 meteors per hour over the northern hemisphere. "Not an intense display. Occasionally, however, Earth passes through a dense region of the comet's tail and rates increase five- to ten-fold," Dr Phillips stated in the Epoch Times report. The expert further revealed that observers reported 90 Lyrids per hour in 1980 and there is a possibility on the number of Lyrids spotted happening again at any time since the outbursts are unpredictable.
The Space Reporter claims the Earth's movement through the trail of debris that Comet Thatcher left will instigate the 2014 Lyrids meteor shower in the early morning of April 22. For the 2014 Lyrids meteor shower, favorable weather conditions are estimated during the sky display peak.
Additionally, the Space.com report assures that the night sky display may be visible even without the use of binoculars or telescopes. The radiant located near the brilliant bluish-white star Vega will be rising in the northeast direction approximately at the time evening twilight ends.
Viewing will perk up until the light from the last-quarter Moon starts to get in the way just after 2 am local time of the viewer's location. The report further noted that a single observer will be able to observe 10 to 15 members of the Lyrids meteor shower in one hour under the best conditions and the Lyrids hang about a quarter of their peak number for approximately two days.
More Articles to Read:
Viral Video Action Movie Kid: DreamWorks Animator Dad Make Son's Superhuman Imagination Real in Shared YouTube Family Videos [WATCH] - [READ]
2014 Asteroid Eclipse: Huge Asteroid 163 Erigone Eclipses Bright Star Regulus on March 19 and 20, How to Best View - [READ]
2014 Comet Jacques: SONEAR Team in Brazil Spots New Comet C/2014 E2, Closest Approach to the Sun to Occur on June 29 - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Of Cambridge ‘Dissed’ By Camilla Parker-Bowles; Delivery Expected In April- Reports
- 'Green Alien Eggs' Spotted on Sydney's Dee Why Beach
- Robin Williams Confessed To Loving Billy Connolly Like A Brother In A Final Goodbye Call
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde Attends Father’s Funeral Without Handcuffs, Brother Thanks TPB Founder’s Supporters on Facebook
- Drag Queens Fume That Facebook Is Banning Aliases And Threaten to Drop Out Of It
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4