2014 Lyrids Meteor Shower: Sky Display Set to Peak on April 22
By Jenalyn Villamarin | April 3, 2014 6:06 PM EST
April 2014 will be offering viewers a remarkable sky display starting with the lunar eclipse on April 15. Then, the 2014 Lyrids meteor shower will appear next starting on Wednesday, April 16, until April 25.
According to the Epoch Times, the 2014 Lyrids meteor shower display is set to peak on Tuesday evening, April 22 until the morning of April 23 with the rate estimated to be 15 to 20 meteors visible per hour. Jane Houston Jones of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) declared in a blog post that the Lyrids are known to producing bright meteors where several have persistent trains.
Ms Houston assured the interested sky gazers that they cannot miss the beautiful river of stars near Lyra-a spiral arm of our Milky Way galaxy if they are under the dark sky. Dr Tony Phillips of NASA explained as well in a different blog post that the flakes of comet dust, which are not bigger in size to the grains of sand, strike the Earth's atmosphere at 110,000 miles per hour before disintegrating as fast streaks of light.
According to Dr Phillips, the typical Lyrid shower can produce 10 to 20 meteors per hour over the northern hemisphere. "Not an intense display. Occasionally, however, Earth passes through a dense region of the comet's tail and rates increase five- to ten-fold," Dr Phillips stated in the Epoch Times report. The expert further revealed that observers reported 90 Lyrids per hour in 1980 and there is a possibility on the number of Lyrids spotted happening again at any time since the outbursts are unpredictable.
The Space Reporter claims the Earth's movement through the trail of debris that Comet Thatcher left will instigate the 2014 Lyrids meteor shower in the early morning of April 22. For the 2014 Lyrids meteor shower, favorable weather conditions are estimated during the sky display peak.
Additionally, the Space.com report assures that the night sky display may be visible even without the use of binoculars or telescopes. The radiant located near the brilliant bluish-white star Vega will be rising in the northeast direction approximately at the time evening twilight ends.
Viewing will perk up until the light from the last-quarter Moon starts to get in the way just after 2 am local time of the viewer's location. The report further noted that a single observer will be able to observe 10 to 15 members of the Lyrids meteor shower in one hour under the best conditions and the Lyrids hang about a quarter of their peak number for approximately two days.
More Articles to Read:
Viral Video Action Movie Kid: DreamWorks Animator Dad Make Son's Superhuman Imagination Real in Shared YouTube Family Videos [WATCH] - [READ]
2014 Asteroid Eclipse: Huge Asteroid 163 Erigone Eclipses Bright Star Regulus on March 19 and 20, How to Best View - [READ]
2014 Comet Jacques: SONEAR Team in Brazil Spots New Comet C/2014 E2, Closest Approach to the Sun to Occur on June 29 - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports