2014 Lyrids Meteor Shower: Sky Display Set to Peak on April 22
By Jenalyn Villamarin | April 3, 2014 6:06 PM EST
April 2014 will be offering viewers a remarkable sky display starting with the lunar eclipse on April 15. Then, the 2014 Lyrids meteor shower will appear next starting on Wednesday, April 16, until April 25.
According to the Epoch Times, the 2014 Lyrids meteor shower display is set to peak on Tuesday evening, April 22 until the morning of April 23 with the rate estimated to be 15 to 20 meteors visible per hour. Jane Houston Jones of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) declared in a blog post that the Lyrids are known to producing bright meteors where several have persistent trains.
Ms Houston assured the interested sky gazers that they cannot miss the beautiful river of stars near Lyra-a spiral arm of our Milky Way galaxy if they are under the dark sky. Dr Tony Phillips of NASA explained as well in a different blog post that the flakes of comet dust, which are not bigger in size to the grains of sand, strike the Earth's atmosphere at 110,000 miles per hour before disintegrating as fast streaks of light.
According to Dr Phillips, the typical Lyrid shower can produce 10 to 20 meteors per hour over the northern hemisphere. "Not an intense display. Occasionally, however, Earth passes through a dense region of the comet's tail and rates increase five- to ten-fold," Dr Phillips stated in the Epoch Times report. The expert further revealed that observers reported 90 Lyrids per hour in 1980 and there is a possibility on the number of Lyrids spotted happening again at any time since the outbursts are unpredictable.
The Space Reporter claims the Earth's movement through the trail of debris that Comet Thatcher left will instigate the 2014 Lyrids meteor shower in the early morning of April 22. For the 2014 Lyrids meteor shower, favorable weather conditions are estimated during the sky display peak.
Additionally, the Space.com report assures that the night sky display may be visible even without the use of binoculars or telescopes. The radiant located near the brilliant bluish-white star Vega will be rising in the northeast direction approximately at the time evening twilight ends.
Viewing will perk up until the light from the last-quarter Moon starts to get in the way just after 2 am local time of the viewer's location. The report further noted that a single observer will be able to observe 10 to 15 members of the Lyrids meteor shower in one hour under the best conditions and the Lyrids hang about a quarter of their peak number for approximately two days.
More Articles to Read:
Viral Video Action Movie Kid: DreamWorks Animator Dad Make Son's Superhuman Imagination Real in Shared YouTube Family Videos [WATCH] - [READ]
2014 Asteroid Eclipse: Huge Asteroid 163 Erigone Eclipses Bright Star Regulus on March 19 and 20, How to Best View - [READ]
2014 Comet Jacques: SONEAR Team in Brazil Spots New Comet C/2014 E2, Closest Approach to the Sun to Occur on June 29 - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown