Shah Rukh Khan-Deepika Padukone Starrer ‘Happy New Year’ Earns ₹202 Crore Ahead of Release?
By Ankita Mehta | April 3, 2014 4:55 PM EST
Like "Chennai Express", Shah Rukh Khan's "Happy New Year" (HNY) too has earned a lump sum amount even before winding up the shooting.
Happy New Year first poster [Twitter/SonuSood]
"Happy New Year" is still in production stages, but the film has reportedly earned more than ₹200 crore. The film is following the footsteps of SRK's blockbuster film "Chennai Express".
"Chennai Express" was sold for a whopping ₹105 crore, when it was in its production stage. And now it's "Happy New Year" which earned around ₹202 crore.
SRK-Deepika Padukone starrer film accumulated ₹125 crore as Minimum Guarantee (MG) by Yash Raj Films, which recently acquired the worldwide distribution rights of "HNY".
Zee television has purchased the satellite rights of the film for whopping ₹65 crore, while T-Series brought the music rights for ₹12 crore, according to Bollywood Hungama.
"HNY" has proved to be a profitable venture not only to the producers but also to UAE. Last year, the cast and crew were in UAE for three week long shooting.
The Dubai TV and Film commission worked with Red Chillies Entertainment for a year to set up for the shoot. The three week long shoot helped fetched $5 million to the UAE.
For the whole cast and crew the production team booked around 180 rooms at the Atlantis hotel on the Palm Island for 25 days.
"This is not just a dance scene, but about 80-90 per cent of the whole film that was shot in Dubai. We had to learn the logistics. Normally we've only dealt with a maximum of 40 people who come to do a dance scene in two to five days," Jamal Al Sharif, the chairman of the film commission said, according to The National.
The film directed by choreographer turned director Farah Khan features Khan, Padukone, Abhishek Bachchan, Boman Irani, Sonu Sood and Vivaan Shah in important roles. The film is set for Diwali release this year.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Bachelorette 2014, Bachelor 2015 Spoilers: Andi Dorfman Hints at Next Bachelor; Find Out What He Thinks About the Job
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Orange is the New Black Update: Reality T.V. Star to Appear in Season 3, Actor Says Show can Run for Long Time, even with New Protagonist
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Spoilers: Nymeria Sand and Arya's Nymeria As Possible Ferocious Forces in New HBO Chapter
- The Bachelor 2014 Update: Nikki Ferrell Sparks Split News Amid Juan Pablo’s Cheating Reports; Find out the Truth
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People