Shah Rukh Khan-Deepika Padukone Starrer ‘Happy New Year’ Earns ₹202 Crore Ahead of Release?
By Ankita Mehta | April 3, 2014 4:55 PM EST
Like "Chennai Express", Shah Rukh Khan's "Happy New Year" (HNY) too has earned a lump sum amount even before winding up the shooting.
Happy New Year first poster [Twitter/SonuSood]
"Happy New Year" is still in production stages, but the film has reportedly earned more than ₹200 crore. The film is following the footsteps of SRK's blockbuster film "Chennai Express".
"Chennai Express" was sold for a whopping ₹105 crore, when it was in its production stage. And now it's "Happy New Year" which earned around ₹202 crore.
SRK-Deepika Padukone starrer film accumulated ₹125 crore as Minimum Guarantee (MG) by Yash Raj Films, which recently acquired the worldwide distribution rights of "HNY".
Zee television has purchased the satellite rights of the film for whopping ₹65 crore, while T-Series brought the music rights for ₹12 crore, according to Bollywood Hungama.
"HNY" has proved to be a profitable venture not only to the producers but also to UAE. Last year, the cast and crew were in UAE for three week long shooting.
The Dubai TV and Film commission worked with Red Chillies Entertainment for a year to set up for the shoot. The three week long shoot helped fetched $5 million to the UAE.
For the whole cast and crew the production team booked around 180 rooms at the Atlantis hotel on the Palm Island for 25 days.
"This is not just a dance scene, but about 80-90 per cent of the whole film that was shot in Dubai. We had to learn the logistics. Normally we've only dealt with a maximum of 40 people who come to do a dance scene in two to five days," Jamal Al Sharif, the chairman of the film commission said, according to The National.
The film directed by choreographer turned director Farah Khan features Khan, Padukone, Abhishek Bachchan, Boman Irani, Sonu Sood and Vivaan Shah in important roles. The film is set for Diwali release this year.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Spoiler Update: Return of ‘Asylum’ Character
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate