Shah Rukh Khan-Deepika Padukone Starrer ‘Happy New Year’ Earns ₹202 Crore Ahead of Release?
By Ankita Mehta | April 3, 2014 4:55 PM EST
Like "Chennai Express", Shah Rukh Khan's "Happy New Year" (HNY) too has earned a lump sum amount even before winding up the shooting.
Happy New Year first poster [Twitter/SonuSood]
"Happy New Year" is still in production stages, but the film has reportedly earned more than ₹200 crore. The film is following the footsteps of SRK's blockbuster film "Chennai Express".
"Chennai Express" was sold for a whopping ₹105 crore, when it was in its production stage. And now it's "Happy New Year" which earned around ₹202 crore.
SRK-Deepika Padukone starrer film accumulated ₹125 crore as Minimum Guarantee (MG) by Yash Raj Films, which recently acquired the worldwide distribution rights of "HNY".
Zee television has purchased the satellite rights of the film for whopping ₹65 crore, while T-Series brought the music rights for ₹12 crore, according to Bollywood Hungama.
"HNY" has proved to be a profitable venture not only to the producers but also to UAE. Last year, the cast and crew were in UAE for three week long shooting.
The Dubai TV and Film commission worked with Red Chillies Entertainment for a year to set up for the shoot. The three week long shoot helped fetched $5 million to the UAE.
For the whole cast and crew the production team booked around 180 rooms at the Atlantis hotel on the Palm Island for 25 days.
"This is not just a dance scene, but about 80-90 per cent of the whole film that was shot in Dubai. We had to learn the logistics. Normally we've only dealt with a maximum of 40 people who come to do a dance scene in two to five days," Jamal Al Sharif, the chairman of the film commission said, according to The National.
The film directed by choreographer turned director Farah Khan features Khan, Padukone, Abhishek Bachchan, Boman Irani, Sonu Sood and Vivaan Shah in important roles. The film is set for Diwali release this year.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best