Shah Rukh Khan-Deepika Padukone Starrer ‘Happy New Year’ Earns ₹202 Crore Ahead of Release?
By Ankita Mehta | April 3, 2014 4:55 PM EST
Like "Chennai Express", Shah Rukh Khan's "Happy New Year" (HNY) too has earned a lump sum amount even before winding up the shooting.
Happy New Year first poster [Twitter/SonuSood]
"Happy New Year" is still in production stages, but the film has reportedly earned more than ₹200 crore. The film is following the footsteps of SRK's blockbuster film "Chennai Express".
"Chennai Express" was sold for a whopping ₹105 crore, when it was in its production stage. And now it's "Happy New Year" which earned around ₹202 crore.
SRK-Deepika Padukone starrer film accumulated ₹125 crore as Minimum Guarantee (MG) by Yash Raj Films, which recently acquired the worldwide distribution rights of "HNY".
Zee television has purchased the satellite rights of the film for whopping ₹65 crore, while T-Series brought the music rights for ₹12 crore, according to Bollywood Hungama.
"HNY" has proved to be a profitable venture not only to the producers but also to UAE. Last year, the cast and crew were in UAE for three week long shooting.
The Dubai TV and Film commission worked with Red Chillies Entertainment for a year to set up for the shoot. The three week long shoot helped fetched $5 million to the UAE.
For the whole cast and crew the production team booked around 180 rooms at the Atlantis hotel on the Palm Island for 25 days.
"This is not just a dance scene, but about 80-90 per cent of the whole film that was shot in Dubai. We had to learn the logistics. Normally we've only dealt with a maximum of 40 people who come to do a dance scene in two to five days," Jamal Al Sharif, the chairman of the film commission said, according to The National.
The film directed by choreographer turned director Farah Khan features Khan, Padukone, Abhishek Bachchan, Boman Irani, Sonu Sood and Vivaan Shah in important roles. The film is set for Diwali release this year.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around