11-month-old Baby from Australia Falls Off from Trampoline, Dies; Police Finds Death Suspicious
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | April 3, 2014 4:27 PM EST
An 11-month-old baby girl from Mandurama in New South Wales, Australia, has died after falling off a trampoline. Police authorities, however, eye her death as suspicious.
A newly-born baby girl, Jolanda, smiles into the camera after her mother, Susan, gave birth to her on a table in the corner of the cityhall in Palo, Leyte, some 15 km (9 miles) away from Tacloban, November 15, 2013. Life returns to normal again a week after Super Typhoon Haiyan, the strongest ever recorded, hit Leyte in the central Philippines. REUTERS/Wolfgang Rattay
The baby girl was taken on Wednesday to the Blayney Hospital around 11 am by a 35-year-old man who claimed to be her stepfather. Her mother wasn't around at the time of the accident.
Blayney Hospital doctors immediately performed CPR, but they were unable to revive her. She died a short time later.
Officers were told the baby had fallen off a trampoline at the family's home.
Police, however, eye her death suspiciously. Forensic officers have joined into the investigation. Homicide squad detectives have also been called in.
"We are treating the death at this stage as suspicious and are looking into that circumstances," Inspector Colin Cracknell from Bathurst Police said.
"We have got police from the homicide squad and the state crime command coming up to assist us today."
Luke Rankin, Chifley Local Area Command detective inspector, said the family's movements are currently being watched.
"I'd really like to appeal for anyone in the community that may have information about the family or their movements during that time," Blayney Chronicle quoted him as saying at the Bathurst police station on Thursday morning.
Anyone who has information about the incident are being encouraged to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or use the Crime Stoppers online reporting page at www.police.nsw.gov.au.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Hoax Alert: 'Ebola Vaccine Only Works on White Skin' Viral Story Not True
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- New Zealand PM John Key Aware of Kiwis Joining ISIS; New Zealand Not Ready For Airstrikes
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate