Shark Attack in Tathra Australia – Shocked Community Learns About the Death of a 60 Year Old
By Sachin Trivedi | April 3, 2014 3:29 PM EST
A morning swim proved fatal for a 60 year old from Tathra, Australia. Witnesses reported that she was taken by a shark. The local community is shocked to hear the news of a shark attack in these parts. Teams are searching the area for the body and the killer shark.
According to the NSW police the 60 year old woman was swimming with a group of people between Tathra Wharf and Tathra Beach. She turned back and may have been swimming alone when the incident happened.
The beach has reportedly been closed for the time being. The local surf life saving personal, Westpac life saver and the Water Police are currently searching the area to find the shark attack victim's body and the shark.
Local community in Tathra, Australia is shocked to hear the news. Although shark attacks do happen in the ocean such incidents in these parts are not common with many people suggesting that this may have been the first in many years.
Some people believe that the shark attack was a tragedy waiting to happen. There were media reports earlier that pointed out that sharks were being lured in closer at the Tathra beach for fishermen and the swimmers were concerned of the potential dangers.
People have taken to the social media to express their shock and sadness over the incident. Helicopters have been deployed in the area and so far the body of the shark attack victim has not been found. Police boats may have to do an ocean floor sweep to do a more thorough search.
Human remains were reportedly found and according to the NSW Police Force a report will be prepared for the Coroner. This is the second fatal shark attack report in Australia in recent days with another reported near Perth.
The body of a 38 year old missing man was found with what appears to be shark bites. He had reportedly gone missing at sea near Perth. He had gone for a recreational dive and his friends have not witnessed any shark attack and the exact cause of death is still unknown.
There have been other incidents of shark attacks in Australia in the past year but none of them have been fatal. Meanwhile people offer emotional support to the family of the victim and the community in Tathra Australia.
More Articles to Read
Melbourne Couple Film 'Porn' in a Train - Online Video Goes Viral [Read]
The Holy Grail Found in Spain? Aprils Fools' Day Has Left Skeptics in Doubt [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How