Rupee at 55/dollar 'would be too strong' - Rajan
April 3, 2014 3:08 PM EST
Reserve Bank of India Governor Raghuram Rajan said the rupee at 55 to the dollar would be too strong, the Mint newspaper reported on Thursday, a day after the rupee touched an eight-month high.
Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Governor Raghuram Rajan (Photo: Reuters)
"And today I would say that if we were at 55 (against the dollar), it would be too strong. In the summer of last year, I said 70 (against the dollar) would be too weak," Rajan said in an interview.
On Wednesday, Rajan had said the rupee strengthening to 45 or 50 per dollar could hit exports, in an interview to CNBC-TV18, and added saying the RBI was fine with a "certain amount of leeway" in the currency.
The Indian rupee has been supported by a powerful rally in domestic equities, which touched a record high for an eighth straight session on Wednesday on the back of strong foreign inflows.
At 9:11 a.m., the rupee was trading at 59.89 per dollar, compared to Wednesday's close of 59.90/91.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase