Gold up for Second Day on Bargain Hunting, Physical Demand
April 3, 2014 3:04 PM EST
Gold added on to sharp overnight gains on Thursday, consolidating after recent losses, on bargain hunting and signs of increasing physical demand in Asia.
Gold up for second day on bargain hunting, physical demand
* Spot gold rose 0.2 percent to $1,291.25 an ounce by 0029 GMT, after gaining 0.8 percent on Wednesday - the metal's biggest one-day jump in nearly three weeks.
* The metal gained despite strong economic data that showed U.S. companies stepped up hiring in March for a second straight month, offering fresh evidence the economy was regaining momentum after a weather-driven lull over the winter.
* Markets are now eyeing U.S. nonfarm payrolls data on Friday to gauge the strength of the recovery and the Federal Reserve's stimulus outlook.
* Chinese gold prices briefly rose to a premium on Wednesday before settling down on par with London prices. They had been at a discount since early March.
* Indian gold imports likely jumped in March from the previous month after the central bank allowed more private banks to ship the metal, the head of the country's biggest jewellery trade body said.
* Osisko Mining Corp (OSK.TO) said Yamana Gold Inc (YRI.TO) would buy a 50 percent stake in its mining and exploration assets for C$930 million, a deal that potentially thwarts a hostile bid from Goldcorp Inc (G.TO).
* For the top stories on metals and other news, click, or
* Asian shares nudged higher to four-month highs in early trade on Thursday as upbeat U.S. data underpinned risk appetite, leaving the safe-haven yen languishing at 10-week lows.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Worldwide Appetite for Gold Slumps 16% in 2Q 2014 – WGC
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0