Gold up for Second Day on Bargain Hunting, Physical Demand
April 3, 2014 3:04 PM EST
Gold added on to sharp overnight gains on Thursday, consolidating after recent losses, on bargain hunting and signs of increasing physical demand in Asia.
Gold up for second day on bargain hunting, physical demand
* Spot gold rose 0.2 percent to $1,291.25 an ounce by 0029 GMT, after gaining 0.8 percent on Wednesday - the metal's biggest one-day jump in nearly three weeks.
* The metal gained despite strong economic data that showed U.S. companies stepped up hiring in March for a second straight month, offering fresh evidence the economy was regaining momentum after a weather-driven lull over the winter.
* Markets are now eyeing U.S. nonfarm payrolls data on Friday to gauge the strength of the recovery and the Federal Reserve's stimulus outlook.
* Chinese gold prices briefly rose to a premium on Wednesday before settling down on par with London prices. They had been at a discount since early March.
* Indian gold imports likely jumped in March from the previous month after the central bank allowed more private banks to ship the metal, the head of the country's biggest jewellery trade body said.
* Osisko Mining Corp (OSK.TO) said Yamana Gold Inc (YRI.TO) would buy a 50 percent stake in its mining and exploration assets for C$930 million, a deal that potentially thwarts a hostile bid from Goldcorp Inc (G.TO).
* For the top stories on metals and other news, click, or
* Asian shares nudged higher to four-month highs in early trade on Thursday as upbeat U.S. data underpinned risk appetite, leaving the safe-haven yen languishing at 10-week lows.
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy