Australian Dollar Outlook - 03 March 2014
By Christine Gaylican | April 3, 2014 3:02 PM EST
Bell FX Currency Outlook: The Australian Dollar has traded in a narrow range overnight ahead of Thursday's batch of economic news.
AUD/USD found itself losing further ground overnight, as investors digested the Budget, while the USD continued to power ahead on optimism that the US economy is picking up. The pair found itself at $0.989 as forward estimates see the budget toiling back to surplus.
Australia: It was a relatively quiet night. US data was good, China made its spending plans official and even Greece is considering re-entering the bond market. US equity markets are back at their highs, yields are higher, with the US 10-year above 2.8% for the first time since January and the USD is broadly stronger.
In Australia yesterday, residential building approvals declined 5.0% (m/m) with both houses and other residential buildings recording falls. Despite easing in February, dwelling approvals maintained a solid upward trend to be running at record highs and foreshadow uplift in residential construction activity going forward, further confirmation that labour demand is beginning to improve. Investors will be awaiting local retail sales and international trade data today, ahead of a speech by Reserve Bank governor Glenn Stevens in Brisbane.
Majors: In currency markets the USD rally maintained its momentum as economic data continued to support yields. While the better data drove stocks to fresh highs, cyclical currencies were overwhelmed by the strength of the USD. In offshore markets, the key event is the ECB policy meeting. We expect no change from the ECB at the April meeting.
CPI inflation eased in March but is expected to rebound in April. Overall, the continued stabilisation in growth and the unemployment rate (albeit the latter is still highly elevated) will likely result in no change from the ECB near-term.
- - 3 APR AU Retail Sales Feb
- - AU Trade Balance Feb
- - EC ECB Interest Rate Decision
- - US Trade Balance
For the latest pricing, ranges please visit www.bellpotter.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian Govt Found Tinkering Wikipedia Crash Info
- Scientists Warn MERS Virus Could be Spread Airborne
- British PM Cameron Urges Tough Sanctions Against Russia
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales