Athletes Pull Their Best April Fools’ Pranks
By Rachelle Corpuz | April 3, 2014 1:52 PM EST
April Fools' Day can definitely be a lot of fun. Some people wait for this time of the year to play a prank on their loved ones, friends, colleagues, and what about you because April Fools' Day is the only day of the year that you can be excused for whatever prank or joke you are going to do and get away with it.
Fish-shaped balloons float above water fountains to mark April Fools Day, called "Poisson d'Avril" in France, in the centre of Nice, April 1, 2014. REUTERS/Eric Gaillard
April Fools' Day was in full swing this year, 2014. Let's have a roundup of some of the athletes in the sporting world who celebrated April Fools' Day with their practical jokes.
I will be coming out with my mixtape April 16th. Feature on it Jay-Z, Drake, Ross, Meek, Juicy J, Kendrick, Snoop, and many more. "King Me"— LeBron James (@KingJames) April 1, 2014
And then comes:
April fools! HAHAHA— LeBron James (@KingJames) April 1, 2014
One of Lebron's Twitter followers actually believed that he would be releasing his mixtape that he even set a reminder scheduled on his smartphone. Another one wrote, "Damn, it's gonna go hard." While other people fell for Lebron's joke, some also already knew that it might be one of those April Fool's Day pranks.
Andy parted ways with his coach Ivan Lendl in March, BBC reported. On April Fools' Day, Andy tweeted that he would be revealing his next coach.
And 2 avoid confusion like last time i will be announcing my new coach tomorrow #pumped— Andy Murray (@andy_murray) April 1, 2014
Andy's followers weren't keen to believe his post, but there were some who began speculating and naming their bets such as Terry Butcher, Gary Locke, Andre Agassi, and Mansour Bahrami among others, for his new coach. The British No. 1 didn't clarify if his post was just a joke or intended to fool his followers.
Oakland Athletics baseball pitcher Sean Doolittle played a good prankster on April 1 and he played it good. Apparently, Sean had been setting up his prank since 2013. The bearded baseball player posted a picture of him all groomed and completely shaved and beard-free.
After the game last night, I decided it was time for a change. New season, new look! Keepin it clean in 2K14! pic.twitter.com/1xHssTSxH8— Sean Doolittle (@whatwouldDOOdo) April 1, 2014
Then, he later posted,
April Fools! I took the previous pic in Jan '13 specifically for this joke! Been setting you guys up this whole time! pic.twitter.com/PvhxWEZvvA— Sean Doolittle (@whatwouldDOOdo) April 1, 2014
Track and field athlete David Rudisha was leaving his sport, Standard Digital reported via Athletics Weekly. Many fans were bewildered to find out about Rudisha's retirement since he is only 25 years old.
Standard Digital News - Rudisha walks away: Olympics 800m champ takes long leave from athletics - http://t.co/sXRbWjOxNI— David Rudisha MBS (@rudishadavid) April 1, 2014
Simon Hart of the Daily Telegraph was quick to clarify the issue.
Just spoken to David Rudisha's coach, Brother Colm O'Connell. Story about Rudisha quitting athletics is nonsense. Just an April Fool's joke.— Simon Hart (@SiHart) March 31, 2014
Rudisha is currently the Olympic 800m champion. He won gold during the London 2012 Olympics after setting a world record of 1:40:91.
American professional soccer club also didn't let April Fools' Day pass without playing a little joke on their fans. The soccer club's key players didn't mind wearing skimpy shorts just to have some harmless fun. The Colorado Rapids play in Major League Soccer.
Guess, it is best to stay away from social media on April Fools' Day.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Update: Maisie Williams Talks Arya Stark, Lady Stoneheart, and Surprises
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell