Top NBA Prospect Wiggins to Join Jay Z’s Roc Nation Sports Agency
By James Patrick Quizon | April 3, 2014 1:11 PM EST
Andrew Wiggins is projected to go inside the top 3 in the 2014 NBA Draft this June. Even before he becomes a pro, he’s already a top target for sports agents and it appears that Jay Z’s Roc Nation Sports have the inside track in getting the Canadian as their client.
NCAA Basketball: NCAA Tournament-3rd Round-Kansas vs Stanford
According to a report from CBS Sports, Jay Z’s group and another unnamed agency is in a tug-of-war for representation of Wiggins, a prospective top draw and moneymaker when he becomes and NBA pro.
The 6-foot-8 Wiggins, who declared on Tuesday that he will enter the draft, played for the Kansas Jayhawks in the NCAA. He’s another one-and-done player in college hoops—playing just one year in college and immediately moving on to the bigger leagues.
Wiggins was the 2013 Naismith Prep Player of the Year and was the first Canadian to be named the 2013 National Player of the Year. He was the top prospect entering college in 2013.
Rich Paul, LeBron James’ agent is also rumoured to be interested in getting Wiggins as a client.
Roc Nation Sports was established in 2013 and immediately made their mark as a sports agency—mainly because of the successful Hip Hop artist’s brand.
Jay Z was a previously a minority owner of the Brooklyn Nets but sold his stake because NBA owners are not allowed to represent NBA players or own sports agencies.
Other athletes represented by Roc Nation Sports are Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City Thunder), Robinson Cano (Seattle Mariners), CC Sabathia (New York Yankees), Geno Smith, (New York Jets), Hakeem Nicks (Indianapolis Colts), Victor Cruz (New York Giants) and Skylar Diggins (Tulsa Shock) among others.
Wiggins is currently projected to be drafted No. 3 overall in most mock drafts but that stil could change as the NBA lottery is yet to be decided. Other top prospects in the 2014 NBA Draft are Jabari Parker, Joel Embiid and Marcus Smart.
Wiggins last game in college wasn't pretty though. He scored just 4 points, missed 5-of-6 shots from the field in 34 minutes in the 60-57 loss to 10th seed Stanford in the 3rd Round of the 2014 NCAA Tournament.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions