Top NBA Prospect Wiggins to Join Jay Z’s Roc Nation Sports Agency
By James Patrick Quizon | April 3, 2014 1:11 PM EST
Andrew Wiggins is projected to go inside the top 3 in the 2014 NBA Draft this June. Even before he becomes a pro, he’s already a top target for sports agents and it appears that Jay Z’s Roc Nation Sports have the inside track in getting the Canadian as their client.
NCAA Basketball: NCAA Tournament-3rd Round-Kansas vs Stanford
According to a report from CBS Sports, Jay Z’s group and another unnamed agency is in a tug-of-war for representation of Wiggins, a prospective top draw and moneymaker when he becomes and NBA pro.
The 6-foot-8 Wiggins, who declared on Tuesday that he will enter the draft, played for the Kansas Jayhawks in the NCAA. He’s another one-and-done player in college hoops—playing just one year in college and immediately moving on to the bigger leagues.
Wiggins was the 2013 Naismith Prep Player of the Year and was the first Canadian to be named the 2013 National Player of the Year. He was the top prospect entering college in 2013.
Rich Paul, LeBron James’ agent is also rumoured to be interested in getting Wiggins as a client.
Roc Nation Sports was established in 2013 and immediately made their mark as a sports agency—mainly because of the successful Hip Hop artist’s brand.
Jay Z was a previously a minority owner of the Brooklyn Nets but sold his stake because NBA owners are not allowed to represent NBA players or own sports agencies.
Other athletes represented by Roc Nation Sports are Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City Thunder), Robinson Cano (Seattle Mariners), CC Sabathia (New York Yankees), Geno Smith, (New York Jets), Hakeem Nicks (Indianapolis Colts), Victor Cruz (New York Giants) and Skylar Diggins (Tulsa Shock) among others.
Wiggins is currently projected to be drafted No. 3 overall in most mock drafts but that stil could change as the NBA lottery is yet to be decided. Other top prospects in the 2014 NBA Draft are Jabari Parker, Joel Embiid and Marcus Smart.
Wiggins last game in college wasn't pretty though. He scored just 4 points, missed 5-of-6 shots from the field in 34 minutes in the 60-57 loss to 10th seed Stanford in the 3rd Round of the 2014 NCAA Tournament.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2