Top NBA Prospect Wiggins to Join Jay Z’s Roc Nation Sports Agency
By James Patrick Quizon | April 3, 2014 1:11 PM EST
Andrew Wiggins is projected to go inside the top 3 in the 2014 NBA Draft this June. Even before he becomes a pro, he’s already a top target for sports agents and it appears that Jay Z’s Roc Nation Sports have the inside track in getting the Canadian as their client.
NCAA Basketball: NCAA Tournament-3rd Round-Kansas vs Stanford
According to a report from CBS Sports, Jay Z’s group and another unnamed agency is in a tug-of-war for representation of Wiggins, a prospective top draw and moneymaker when he becomes and NBA pro.
The 6-foot-8 Wiggins, who declared on Tuesday that he will enter the draft, played for the Kansas Jayhawks in the NCAA. He’s another one-and-done player in college hoops—playing just one year in college and immediately moving on to the bigger leagues.
Wiggins was the 2013 Naismith Prep Player of the Year and was the first Canadian to be named the 2013 National Player of the Year. He was the top prospect entering college in 2013.
Rich Paul, LeBron James’ agent is also rumoured to be interested in getting Wiggins as a client.
Roc Nation Sports was established in 2013 and immediately made their mark as a sports agency—mainly because of the successful Hip Hop artist’s brand.
Jay Z was a previously a minority owner of the Brooklyn Nets but sold his stake because NBA owners are not allowed to represent NBA players or own sports agencies.
Other athletes represented by Roc Nation Sports are Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City Thunder), Robinson Cano (Seattle Mariners), CC Sabathia (New York Yankees), Geno Smith, (New York Jets), Hakeem Nicks (Indianapolis Colts), Victor Cruz (New York Giants) and Skylar Diggins (Tulsa Shock) among others.
Wiggins is currently projected to be drafted No. 3 overall in most mock drafts but that stil could change as the NBA lottery is yet to be decided. Other top prospects in the 2014 NBA Draft are Jabari Parker, Joel Embiid and Marcus Smart.
Wiggins last game in college wasn't pretty though. He scored just 4 points, missed 5-of-6 shots from the field in 34 minutes in the 60-57 loss to 10th seed Stanford in the 3rd Round of the 2014 NCAA Tournament.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Minnesota Timberwolves 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Wiggins-Rubio Era In Minneapolis Begins
- Dallas Mavericks 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Nowitzki, Ellis Has New Shooting Partner In Parsons
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored