Top NBA Prospect Wiggins to Join Jay Z’s Roc Nation Sports Agency
By James Patrick Quizon | April 3, 2014 1:11 PM EST
Andrew Wiggins is projected to go inside the top 3 in the 2014 NBA Draft this June. Even before he becomes a pro, he’s already a top target for sports agents and it appears that Jay Z’s Roc Nation Sports have the inside track in getting the Canadian as their client.
NCAA Basketball: NCAA Tournament-3rd Round-Kansas vs Stanford
According to a report from CBS Sports, Jay Z’s group and another unnamed agency is in a tug-of-war for representation of Wiggins, a prospective top draw and moneymaker when he becomes and NBA pro.
The 6-foot-8 Wiggins, who declared on Tuesday that he will enter the draft, played for the Kansas Jayhawks in the NCAA. He’s another one-and-done player in college hoops—playing just one year in college and immediately moving on to the bigger leagues.
Wiggins was the 2013 Naismith Prep Player of the Year and was the first Canadian to be named the 2013 National Player of the Year. He was the top prospect entering college in 2013.
Rich Paul, LeBron James’ agent is also rumoured to be interested in getting Wiggins as a client.
Roc Nation Sports was established in 2013 and immediately made their mark as a sports agency—mainly because of the successful Hip Hop artist’s brand.
Jay Z was a previously a minority owner of the Brooklyn Nets but sold his stake because NBA owners are not allowed to represent NBA players or own sports agencies.
Other athletes represented by Roc Nation Sports are Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City Thunder), Robinson Cano (Seattle Mariners), CC Sabathia (New York Yankees), Geno Smith, (New York Jets), Hakeem Nicks (Indianapolis Colts), Victor Cruz (New York Giants) and Skylar Diggins (Tulsa Shock) among others.
Wiggins is currently projected to be drafted No. 3 overall in most mock drafts but that stil could change as the NBA lottery is yet to be decided. Other top prospects in the 2014 NBA Draft are Jabari Parker, Joel Embiid and Marcus Smart.
Wiggins last game in college wasn't pretty though. He scored just 4 points, missed 5-of-6 shots from the field in 34 minutes in the 60-57 loss to 10th seed Stanford in the 3rd Round of the 2014 NCAA Tournament.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]