Hilarious 'Divergent' Meme Goes Viral
By Jenille Cristy Maido | April 3, 2014 11:57 AM EST
Divergent conquered the box-office with solid sales and created a whole new following among fans. In its first week, the film garnered a whopping $54,607,747 in theatres, and created a large fan-base for its lead stars Shailene Woodley and Theo James. The "Divergent" series is also amassing sales in bookstores, with a much-awaited sequel "Insurgent" in the making.
Cast members Shailene Woodley and Theo James attend the premiere of "Divergent" in Los Angeles, California, March 18, 2014. The movie opens in the U.S. on March 21.
Despite 'Divergent's' apocalyptic rise, the "creative" minds of meme creators-not to mention their extensive Photoshop skills-did not let the movie pass without undergoing a few "tweaks." Their subject has been the film's official poster, where the image of Tris and Four has been altered, showing Tris hanging the laundry while Four sitting in front of a few detergent bottles.
Here's the 'Divergent' meme on Twitter.
— 9GAG (@9GAG) March 31, 2014
Taking a closer look the meme indicates "What Makes You Different Makes You Cleaner," altered from the original poster tagline that says "What Makes You Different Makes You Dangerous." The poster title was changed as well from "Divergent" to "Detergent." The meme creator hides in the codename "Durango421" as marked on the left side of the edited poster.
Meme's are not new these days with popular names from Hollywood celebrities to politicians being dragged in a hilarious edited-photo spree. Since it is shared over the Internet, the subjects often are left with no choice but to disregard the viral photos or posters until new memes or issues emerge online.
Meme is defined in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary as an "an idea, behavior, style, or usage that spreads from person to person within a culture." It was first used in 1976, but gained worldwide popularity in the 21st century following the digital revolution. People could find memes a "laughing matter," because it coincides with the current trend, and when they could relate to it.
The "Divergent" meme is just one of the millions out there circulating on the World Wide Web. Web sites like 9gag.com, the photo-sharing site Imgur, and more popular social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus and Instagram contribute to the widespread reach of these photographs.
The 2014 film "Divergent" is based on Veronica Roth debut novel of the same title. It was released on March 21 on the US theatres and stars Shailene Woodley, Theo James, and Kate Winslet.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Kit Harington Denies Romance With Co-stars Rose Leslie And Emilia Clarke
- 'The Big Bang Theory' Season 8 Episode 7 Spoilers: Penny Takes Off Her Ring In The Misinterpretation Agitation [VIDEO]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family