Hilarious 'Divergent' Meme Goes Viral
By Jenille Cristy Maido | April 3, 2014 11:57 AM EST
Divergent conquered the box-office with solid sales and created a whole new following among fans. In its first week, the film garnered a whopping $54,607,747 in theatres, and created a large fan-base for its lead stars Shailene Woodley and Theo James. The "Divergent" series is also amassing sales in bookstores, with a much-awaited sequel "Insurgent" in the making.
Cast members Shailene Woodley and Theo James attend the premiere of "Divergent" in Los Angeles, California, March 18, 2014. The movie opens in the U.S. on March 21.
Despite 'Divergent's' apocalyptic rise, the "creative" minds of meme creators-not to mention their extensive Photoshop skills-did not let the movie pass without undergoing a few "tweaks." Their subject has been the film's official poster, where the image of Tris and Four has been altered, showing Tris hanging the laundry while Four sitting in front of a few detergent bottles.
Here's the 'Divergent' meme on Twitter.
— 9GAG (@9GAG) March 31, 2014
Taking a closer look the meme indicates "What Makes You Different Makes You Cleaner," altered from the original poster tagline that says "What Makes You Different Makes You Dangerous." The poster title was changed as well from "Divergent" to "Detergent." The meme creator hides in the codename "Durango421" as marked on the left side of the edited poster.
Meme's are not new these days with popular names from Hollywood celebrities to politicians being dragged in a hilarious edited-photo spree. Since it is shared over the Internet, the subjects often are left with no choice but to disregard the viral photos or posters until new memes or issues emerge online.
Meme is defined in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary as an "an idea, behavior, style, or usage that spreads from person to person within a culture." It was first used in 1976, but gained worldwide popularity in the 21st century following the digital revolution. People could find memes a "laughing matter," because it coincides with the current trend, and when they could relate to it.
The "Divergent" meme is just one of the millions out there circulating on the World Wide Web. Web sites like 9gag.com, the photo-sharing site Imgur, and more popular social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus and Instagram contribute to the widespread reach of these photographs.
The 2014 film "Divergent" is based on Veronica Roth debut novel of the same title. It was released on March 21 on the US theatres and stars Shailene Woodley, Theo James, and Kate Winslet.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Joan Rivers Left $150 Million Legacy To Her Only Child, Care For Her Four Pooches Included In Her Will
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- Kendall Jenner Distances Self From The Kardashians, Prefers Kim Kardashian West To Be Absent In Her Modelling Shows
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up