Hilarious 'Divergent' Meme Goes Viral
By Jenille Cristy Maido | April 3, 2014 11:57 AM EST
Divergent conquered the box-office with solid sales and created a whole new following among fans. In its first week, the film garnered a whopping $54,607,747 in theatres, and created a large fan-base for its lead stars Shailene Woodley and Theo James. The "Divergent" series is also amassing sales in bookstores, with a much-awaited sequel "Insurgent" in the making.
Cast members Shailene Woodley and Theo James attend the premiere of "Divergent" in Los Angeles, California, March 18, 2014. The movie opens in the U.S. on March 21.
Despite 'Divergent's' apocalyptic rise, the "creative" minds of meme creators-not to mention their extensive Photoshop skills-did not let the movie pass without undergoing a few "tweaks." Their subject has been the film's official poster, where the image of Tris and Four has been altered, showing Tris hanging the laundry while Four sitting in front of a few detergent bottles.
Here's the 'Divergent' meme on Twitter.
— 9GAG (@9GAG) March 31, 2014
Taking a closer look the meme indicates "What Makes You Different Makes You Cleaner," altered from the original poster tagline that says "What Makes You Different Makes You Dangerous." The poster title was changed as well from "Divergent" to "Detergent." The meme creator hides in the codename "Durango421" as marked on the left side of the edited poster.
Meme's are not new these days with popular names from Hollywood celebrities to politicians being dragged in a hilarious edited-photo spree. Since it is shared over the Internet, the subjects often are left with no choice but to disregard the viral photos or posters until new memes or issues emerge online.
Meme is defined in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary as an "an idea, behavior, style, or usage that spreads from person to person within a culture." It was first used in 1976, but gained worldwide popularity in the 21st century following the digital revolution. People could find memes a "laughing matter," because it coincides with the current trend, and when they could relate to it.
The "Divergent" meme is just one of the millions out there circulating on the World Wide Web. Web sites like 9gag.com, the photo-sharing site Imgur, and more popular social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus and Instagram contribute to the widespread reach of these photographs.
The 2014 film "Divergent" is based on Veronica Roth debut novel of the same title. It was released on March 21 on the US theatres and stars Shailene Woodley, Theo James, and Kate Winslet.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- 'Glee' Season 6 Spoilers, Air Date: Naya Rivera Teases Wedding In Final Chapter, Lea Michele Tweets 700th Song Number
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]