Hilarious 'Divergent' Meme Goes Viral
By Jenille Cristy Maido | April 3, 2014 11:57 AM EST
Divergent conquered the box-office with solid sales and created a whole new following among fans. In its first week, the film garnered a whopping $54,607,747 in theatres, and created a large fan-base for its lead stars Shailene Woodley and Theo James. The "Divergent" series is also amassing sales in bookstores, with a much-awaited sequel "Insurgent" in the making.
Cast members Shailene Woodley and Theo James attend the premiere of "Divergent" in Los Angeles, California, March 18, 2014. The movie opens in the U.S. on March 21.
Despite 'Divergent's' apocalyptic rise, the "creative" minds of meme creators-not to mention their extensive Photoshop skills-did not let the movie pass without undergoing a few "tweaks." Their subject has been the film's official poster, where the image of Tris and Four has been altered, showing Tris hanging the laundry while Four sitting in front of a few detergent bottles.
Here's the 'Divergent' meme on Twitter.
— 9GAG (@9GAG) March 31, 2014
Taking a closer look the meme indicates "What Makes You Different Makes You Cleaner," altered from the original poster tagline that says "What Makes You Different Makes You Dangerous." The poster title was changed as well from "Divergent" to "Detergent." The meme creator hides in the codename "Durango421" as marked on the left side of the edited poster.
Meme's are not new these days with popular names from Hollywood celebrities to politicians being dragged in a hilarious edited-photo spree. Since it is shared over the Internet, the subjects often are left with no choice but to disregard the viral photos or posters until new memes or issues emerge online.
Meme is defined in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary as an "an idea, behavior, style, or usage that spreads from person to person within a culture." It was first used in 1976, but gained worldwide popularity in the 21st century following the digital revolution. People could find memes a "laughing matter," because it coincides with the current trend, and when they could relate to it.
The "Divergent" meme is just one of the millions out there circulating on the World Wide Web. Web sites like 9gag.com, the photo-sharing site Imgur, and more popular social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus and Instagram contribute to the widespread reach of these photographs.
The 2014 film "Divergent" is based on Veronica Roth debut novel of the same title. It was released on March 21 on the US theatres and stars Shailene Woodley, Theo James, and Kate Winslet.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- 'Revenge' Season 4 Spoilers: Daniel, Emily In Twisted Friendship; David Clarke Mystery Growing (Review, Updates)
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Nov. 24 – 28 Spoilers: JJ Decides, Melanie Confronts Chad And Daniel And Nicole Reconcile
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues