Hilarious 'Divergent' Meme Goes Viral
By Jenille Cristy Maido | April 3, 2014 11:57 AM EST
Divergent conquered the box-office with solid sales and created a whole new following among fans. In its first week, the film garnered a whopping $54,607,747 in theatres, and created a large fan-base for its lead stars Shailene Woodley and Theo James. The "Divergent" series is also amassing sales in bookstores, with a much-awaited sequel "Insurgent" in the making.
Cast members Shailene Woodley and Theo James attend the premiere of "Divergent" in Los Angeles, California, March 18, 2014. The movie opens in the U.S. on March 21.
Despite 'Divergent's' apocalyptic rise, the "creative" minds of meme creators-not to mention their extensive Photoshop skills-did not let the movie pass without undergoing a few "tweaks." Their subject has been the film's official poster, where the image of Tris and Four has been altered, showing Tris hanging the laundry while Four sitting in front of a few detergent bottles.
Here's the 'Divergent' meme on Twitter.
— 9GAG (@9GAG) March 31, 2014
Taking a closer look the meme indicates "What Makes You Different Makes You Cleaner," altered from the original poster tagline that says "What Makes You Different Makes You Dangerous." The poster title was changed as well from "Divergent" to "Detergent." The meme creator hides in the codename "Durango421" as marked on the left side of the edited poster.
Meme's are not new these days with popular names from Hollywood celebrities to politicians being dragged in a hilarious edited-photo spree. Since it is shared over the Internet, the subjects often are left with no choice but to disregard the viral photos or posters until new memes or issues emerge online.
Meme is defined in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary as an "an idea, behavior, style, or usage that spreads from person to person within a culture." It was first used in 1976, but gained worldwide popularity in the 21st century following the digital revolution. People could find memes a "laughing matter," because it coincides with the current trend, and when they could relate to it.
The "Divergent" meme is just one of the millions out there circulating on the World Wide Web. Web sites like 9gag.com, the photo-sharing site Imgur, and more popular social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus and Instagram contribute to the widespread reach of these photographs.
The 2014 film "Divergent" is based on Veronica Roth debut novel of the same title. It was released on March 21 on the US theatres and stars Shailene Woodley, Theo James, and Kate Winslet.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'Avengers: Age Of Ultron' Will Feature Nude Scene Confirmed—Report
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 1: ‘The Biggest Action Sequence That We Have Ever Attempted’ [VIDEO]
- 'Terminator' 5 And 'Jurassic World' Trailers To Be Released Soon
- ‘Star Wars’ 7 Plot Leak – New Villain And Stormtroopers New Look [Spoilers]
- 'Doctor Who' Casting News: 'GOT' Actress Rose Leslie Favoured To Play As 'Clara Oswald'
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region