4.7 Inch iPhone 6 Release Date Soon; 5.5 Inch Phablet Launch Delayed
By Kristin Dian Mariano | April 3, 2014 11:47 AM EST
The 4.7 inch iPhone 6 release date may happen anytime soon but the launch of the 5.5 inch phablet may be delayed.
Reuters cited supply chain sources saying that Apple's Asian suppliers will begin producing 4.7-inch displays next month in order to meet the fall release date. However, the 5.5 inch screen display may be delayed due to production issues.
iPhone 6 concept
Reuters also said that Apple has tapped three different suppliers for the displays: Japan Display, Sharp, and LG Display, but which company is producing which display was not mentioned.
Japan Display announced last week that it will begin shipping 5.5-inch, 2,560-by-1,440-pixel, 538-ppi screens this month. This hinted that the company have a contract with Cupertino-based company in making the displays.
Rumours claimed that the new iPhone will get a bigger screen display of 4.7 inches and 5.5 inches. UBS analyst Steve Milunovich backed up this rumor and said that the company was working on two iPhone 6 variants with the aforementioned screen sizes. However, he noted that the Apple's phablet with 5.5 inches will be announced at a later date.
Apple remained tight lipped on the official specs and features of the upcoming iPhone 6 but rumours insisted that the handset will pack a 64-bit A8 processor, sapphire screen display, improved camera and fingerprint sensor.
Furthermore, it was reported earlier that iPhone 6 will be launched at the annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) in June. The said tech event will also show off the new version of iOS. However, latest predictions claimed that Apple will wait for a yearly cycle and will release its flagship phone in September to battle the Samsung Galaxy Note 4.
Meanwhile, Mr. Milunovich stated in his research note to investors that Apple will unveil the 4.7 inch iPhone in August or September. The iPhone with 5.5 inch screen will be released at a much later date, which could fall in winter.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Apple on 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Release Will Not Happen Until 2015 with Stocks Poised to Soar
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Childhood Obesity is Strongly Linked With Early Puberty: Study Reveals
- Why Internet of Things is the Next Big Thing for Tech Giants like Samsung, Google and Apple
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet