Nexus 6 Release Date: Expected Upgrades over Nexus 5
By Raymond Ronamai | April 2, 2014 11:08 PM EST
Speculations on the release date and expected specifications of Nexus 6 have been gaining momentum, though Google has been keeping mum on the device. It is expected to be unveiled in the third or last quarter of 2014 and have several upgrades over its predecessor Nexus 5.
Screenshot from Google Website
Several reports suggested that Nexus 6 would be released after Google's I/O Developers Conference on 24 June or early July, while Google's VP Sundar Pichai had hinted at the Mobile World Congress that the device would see the light of the day only around October.
The smartphone maker has not revealed the features of its upcoming flagship device but, going by several reports which have surfaced of late, Nexus 6 is expected to have several upgrades over Nexus 5. Here are some of them:
1. Display: Nexus 6 is expected to sport a 5.2-inch full HD and curved LCD display, protected by Corning Gorilla Glass. Nexus 5 is also protected by Corning Gorilla Glass but its display is smaller - 4.95-inch full HD IPS display with 1080x1920p resolutions, having pixel density of 445 ppi (pixels per inch).
2. Processor: Nexus 5 was powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 series quad-core processor with CPU speed of 2.3GHz (with Adreno 330 GPU) and 2GB RAM, while its successor is expected to feature the 64-bit version of its Snapdragon 800-series chipset with 3GB RAM.
4. Camera: Nexus 5 has an 8.0-megapixel camera (main) with OIS (Optical Image Stabilization) and a 1.3-megapixel front camera, while its successor is expected to have a 13MP (main) and a 5MP front camera.
5. Connectivity: Nexus 6 is expected to come in three storage variants - 32 GB/64 GB/128 GB. It may come with connectivity such as Bluetooth, NFC, Micro-USB, Wi-Fi and 4G. However, Nexus 5 has 3G and 4G/LTE connectivity with ad-ons like 2.3GHz Wireless Dual-band Wi-Fi (2.5G/5G) 802.11 a/b/g/n/nc, Bluetooth v4.0, NFC (Android Beam ), micro-USB, SlimPort enabled, dual-microphones Ceramic power and volume buttons, 3.5 mm stereo audio jack and built-in wireless charging.
(Photo Credit: Google)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- 'ISIL Has To Be Defeated, Plain And Simple, End Of Story,' Sen. John Kerry
- New Samsung Galaxy S5 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Released, Verizon Guide and Installation