Chile Earthquake Kills 5, Raises Tsunami Alerts; #PrayForChile Trending in Twitter WorldWide
By Jenille Cristy Maido | April 2, 2014 10:10 PM EST
The massive Chilean earthquake where at least five people died while three were injured has raised tsunami alerts in Latin America's Pacific Coast. The hashtag #PrayforChile trends in Twitter.
Massive 8.2 Earthquake off Chile Coast Sparks Tsunami
The 8.2 magnitude quake hit Chile on April 1, causing several deaths and injuries and sent huge waves that struck coastal towns of the South American nation. The small tsunami-like waves brought officials to evacuate those near the northern Chilean coast. Many people from the coast have evacuated to higher grounds for safety.
Prompt evacuations also reached across the Pacific Coast of Latin America as officials expressed their fears of a possible tsunami putting different countries across the Pacific coastline on alert. Tsunami alerts have been issued as far as Hawaii. Although some areas already lifted the tsunami alert, Chile and Peru remained on the list.
Chilean Interior Minister Rodrigo Penailillo in a report from the online news site Toronto Star said Chile Pres. Michelle Bachelet was looking at the situation closely and was ready to take precautions to ensure the safety of the people.
Meanwhile, some inmates from a women prison from the badly hit Chilean area, Iquique, have escaped after the establishment was damaged. Police officials were deployed in the areas, according to Penailillo.
The Chile earthquake also shook Peru and Bolivia, especially its capital La Paz. It had caused destruction of some major and modern facilities in these countries.
Several aftershocks were experienced in the different parts of the country.
The earthquake in Chile gained a lot of sympathy from different people worldwide. Many have expressed their concerns and prayers to the severely hit nation in social media. The hashtag #PrayforChile becomes a trend in the social media platform, Twitter. Other hashtags made by concerned netizens are #StayStrongChile, #PrayforPeru and #PrayForEcuador.
— Planet Earth (@planetepics) April 2, 2014
Chile is one of the most earthquake-prone countries in the world. The South American country has been hit by an 8.8-magnitude earthquake resulting to a tsunami in 2010. This tragic incident claimed the lives of more than 500 people and damaged facilities and several establishments in the country.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon