Chile Earthquake Kills 5, Raises Tsunami Alerts; #PrayForChile Trending in Twitter WorldWide
By Jenille Cristy Maido | April 2, 2014 10:10 PM EST
The massive Chilean earthquake where at least five people died while three were injured has raised tsunami alerts in Latin America's Pacific Coast. The hashtag #PrayforChile trends in Twitter.
Massive 8.2 Earthquake off Chile Coast Sparks Tsunami
The 8.2 magnitude quake hit Chile on April 1, causing several deaths and injuries and sent huge waves that struck coastal towns of the South American nation. The small tsunami-like waves brought officials to evacuate those near the northern Chilean coast. Many people from the coast have evacuated to higher grounds for safety.
Prompt evacuations also reached across the Pacific Coast of Latin America as officials expressed their fears of a possible tsunami putting different countries across the Pacific coastline on alert. Tsunami alerts have been issued as far as Hawaii. Although some areas already lifted the tsunami alert, Chile and Peru remained on the list.
Chilean Interior Minister Rodrigo Penailillo in a report from the online news site Toronto Star said Chile Pres. Michelle Bachelet was looking at the situation closely and was ready to take precautions to ensure the safety of the people.
Meanwhile, some inmates from a women prison from the badly hit Chilean area, Iquique, have escaped after the establishment was damaged. Police officials were deployed in the areas, according to Penailillo.
The Chile earthquake also shook Peru and Bolivia, especially its capital La Paz. It had caused destruction of some major and modern facilities in these countries.
Several aftershocks were experienced in the different parts of the country.
The earthquake in Chile gained a lot of sympathy from different people worldwide. Many have expressed their concerns and prayers to the severely hit nation in social media. The hashtag #PrayforChile becomes a trend in the social media platform, Twitter. Other hashtags made by concerned netizens are #StayStrongChile, #PrayforPeru and #PrayForEcuador.
— Planet Earth (@planetepics) April 2, 2014
Chile is one of the most earthquake-prone countries in the world. The South American country has been hit by an 8.8-magnitude earthquake resulting to a tsunami in 2010. This tragic incident claimed the lives of more than 500 people and damaged facilities and several establishments in the country.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans