April Celestial Events Complete Detail: From Ring of Fire to Lunar Eclipse to Mars Movement Towards The Earth
By Sonalee singh | April 2, 2014 8:19 PM EST
The celestial events in April includes total eclipse of moon and sun, a meteor shower and positive opportunity to see Vesta and Ceres. Ceres and Vesta are two of the biggest space rocks present in main asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter.
Here are some of the most important celestial events of April:
The Sun and The Moon eclipses: In a rare celestial occasion, two eclipses will be visilble on April 15. The earth's shadow will overshadow the moon in a total lunar eclipse and this spectacular sight wll be visible to people all across North and South America, Australia, New Zealand and other parts of the Pacific region.
The total lunar eclipse will be visible from 3:07 a.m. until 4:25 a.m. EDT (0707-0825 GMT). The solar eclipse will take place two weeks after the Lunar eclipse and unfortunately, it will be visible to a few people only. On April 29, an annular, also called ring of fire, will be visible, which people based in Antarctica can only see.
However, countries situated in Southern hemisphere will be able to get a partial glimpse of the ring of fire.
"Skywatchers in Australia and southern Indonesia will see a partial solar eclipse," narrator Nancy Calo said in an April skywatching video guide released by the Hubble Space Telescope science team, as reported by Space.com
Meteor Shower: In addition to the two eclipses, Lyrid meteor shower is also the most talked about upcoming celestial event. The comet Thatcher will shed fragments, which would be cultivated by the earth resulting in beautiful shower.
"The Lyrid meteor shower will be best seen in the early morning hours of April 22. Expect to see up to 20 bright meteors per hour after midnight," Calo said, as quoted the website.
Mars comes close to earth: Mars will be coming more closer to the earth this year. On April 14 Mars will be be 57 million miles (92 million kilometers) away from the earth, which is called the milestone in the history of planetary movements.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- 'Revenge' Season 4 Spoilers: Daniel, Emily In Twisted Friendship; David Clarke Mystery Growing (Review, Updates)
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Nov. 24 – 28 Spoilers: JJ Decides, Melanie Confronts Chad And Daniel And Nicole Reconcile
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation